Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP Handguards

jasmap

Is there a big difference or any difference at all between the early generation JP modular handguards (pre-VTAC) and the newer JP/VTAC modular handguards? To me they look the same in pictures but I have never seen the pre-VTAC one in person.

Once you go VTAC, you ain't goin' back. ;) Seriously though. Not that it's required (but highly recommended), but you will use red Loctite to put the handguard extension on and well...that ain't comin' off.

Rich

Thanks Rich. Do you know of any real difference between the 2 handguards (pre-VTAC-JP/VTAC) or are they the same but just with the VTAC name attached to the newer one?

There is a great deal of difference. The early JP used the barrel nut for tightening and then the forearm was threaded onto it. Just like most ofther forearms out there. The gas tube was exposed for about 1/4 of and inch at the reciever. The VTac uses a main nut that is mounted to the reicever and loctighted in place and this protects the gas tube exposure of the old design. The barrel is the slid into the reivier and a second nut tightens the barrel in place using the first nut as and extension of the reciever. The forearm is then mounted using 7 flathead allen screws. If you nee to remove the forearm for any reason, it can be done withiout disturbing the barrel to reciever interface and alignments. The other reason for the new setup is to give the shooter a continuous top rail for optics and other things if required. The rail kits are available for all the different lengths and may be added or removed as required by the user. All in all I like the system and all of my ar's have either of the JP forearms on them except for a newer upper that was built with a PRI carbon fibre forearm. I have played with alot of different systems out there and I preferr the JP's over all the others especiaally the 4 railed tactical systems.( They have their place if your job requires it, but for the game, I believe the JP is as good as it gets.

A local guy here had one of the old ones.. biggest difference (in use), was the old hand-guard exposed the gas tube under one of the slots.. getting the rifle handed back after clearing would always burn your thumb/finger.. if you weren't careful. I was please to see it go away - lol

A local guy here had one of the old ones.. biggest difference (in use), was the old hand-guard exposed the gas tube under one of the slots.. getting the rifle handed back after clearing would always burn your thumb/finger.. if you weren't careful. I was please to see it go away - lol

Been there, done that --- am extremely careful about where I grab the rifle now.....

I've got 2 rifles with the old ones and my new hotness has the VTAC. Frankly, there's no difference in real terms other than it's a heck of a lot easier to add sling studs and rails. Other than that, there's no real difference. If you're concerned about a hot rifle, grab forward on the handguard more.

The HUGE upside to the VTAC is that it's a heck of a lot easier to swap/replace barrels.

Rich

Were'nt the old ones greater in diameter or was that another option

with the old ones ?? :unsure:

The early, early JP tubes were indeed greater diameter than the ones they make now. I don't believe they still offer them.

Were'nt the old ones greater in diameter or was that another option

with the old ones ?? :unsure:

The early, early JP tubes were indeed greater diameter than the ones they make now. I don't believe they still offer them.

So we're talking about early but not early, early ?? I thought there was just the old fat tube and the VTAC ??

So there is another tube in between these ?? :unsure: