Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cracked Comp

dstroyed

This is my son's gun and he has a cracked comp. Almost a year ago we could see just the slightest crack forming on one side this is what it looks like now after his season of shooting.

I assume there is not fix for cracked comp other than replacement. How long do i let this go before replacement?

Let Dan know, if you haven't been shooting crazy ammo out of it, you might get a replacement... The new comps have a relief on the edge that helps with the cracking.

No no crazy ammo. I bought this gun newly used. I wouldn't expect Dan to warranty anything like this since I’m not the original owner.

Matt whe us say new comps have a relief do you mean Dan's or everyone's new comps?

I'm going to call and see what the lead time is and get it replaced ASAP. I think i'm more concerned with the gun going down on him before a major match and not have time to repair. Why risk either situation not have the gun when needed or possible accident.

I appreciate the help. I would like to continue the discussion with how do you tell what type of metal its made out of and how would one go about fixing on if they wanted.

If you intend on changing out the comp eventually, I myself would just open up that port down to the bottom of the crack- may make the port a little big, but what the heck. As far as welding up, just about any alloy can be welded- by the right person. But remember one thing- a crack is a crack. Don't just weld over it, the crack is still there, and likely would re-appear. You need to open the crack up, and weld it up with 100% penetration. Actually it is a pretty easy fix, especially for a specialty welder. I work in a welding shop, so I am not just talking off of the top of my head. If the builder doesn't fix it, I still would consider just grinding it out like I said. I have done a comp before that had the tiniest cracks starting, I opened the chamber up, and took my time blending it, and easily 50,000 more rounds and no cracks re-appeared. I think BrianH is right though, I doubt it would crack the whole way around, it is likely just thin in that area. Again, comps are cheap, and you could likely switch it out yourself. Good luck!

Edited by Jody Waring

Those cracks will keep running if left alone. You can probably get another 5K - 10K out of it before it bends enough to touch the bullets. It's not going to have chunks fly off. But, it will eventually need to be replaced.

Welding it sometimes works as Jody stated - you need a good welder. I'd just change it. Make absolutely sure you radius the edges of the comp ports on your new one. All of them. If you don't, any comp will crack in no time. If you do, they last considerably longer and usually wear out rather than crack.

Edited by Bret Heidkamp

Those cracks will keep running if left alone. You can probably get another 5-10K out of it before it bends enough to touch the bullets. It's not going to have chunks fly off. But, it will eventually need to be replaced.

Welding it sometimes works as Jody stated - you need a good welder. I'd just change it. Make absolutely sure you radius the edges of the comp ports on your new one. All of them. If you don't, any comp will crack in no time. If you do, they last considerably longer and usually wear out rather than crack.

Bingo, emphasis mine but Bret nailed it. The cracks will allow the end of the comp to bend down and the last baffle will start contacting the bullets. From there it will go to hell in a handbag, and shoot incredibly bad. Change it out now when you have the time to be without the gun, if you don't it will work fine until you really need the gun to be there and then it will screw you, just the way these things always seem to go.

Change it out now when you have the time to be without the gun, if you don't it will work fine until you really need the gun to be there and then it will screw you, just the way these things always seem to go.

Murphy is my biggest motivator.

• 3 weeks later...

Good news, want to up date you all.

I called Shooters Connecdtion and then Dan Bedell himself about the repair. Short story, I sent the gun to Dan to replace the comp and he had it out of his shop in a week. So the gun left Austin TX and was back in 11 days. Dan was very fair with his pricing.

FYI this comp is steel.

Over all a very positive and pain free repair Thanks to Shooters Connection and Dan Bedell.