Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PB92's Open Beretta 92CompGun

PB92

Well, the slide is back with the JPoint 8 min optic, and the frame is stippled and bead blasted, now frame is off to get Ceracoat in blue titanium.....frame is torndown in these quick pics......plus some more customizing with some Striker EDM work.........

Picture438.jpg

Picture437.jpg

Picture436.jpg

Picture435.jpg

Picture434.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Warp, I planned on keeping the front sight, I have to re-consider though, don't really need it. It's not in my line of sight with the optic. That is one of the small things to consider. I can very easily remove the optic. Pop a rear sight in and use iron sights if needed, so I didn't jump right in and shave it off. Once it's off, it's off for good.

Theo, I built the gun primarily for 9 minor steel speed shooting, but it can shoot 9 major, but I really dont plan on major.

Have some small details to do on it, trigger and hammer bushings, then work maybe some big sticks for it, not sure yet. But it will be done shortly.

>Bob

Thanks guys. HSmith, thats what I'm thinking about major, going major was an afterthought. I built the pistol for steel speed shooting 9 minor. The pistol actually shoots like a .22..........The primary platform is not built for major. It can shoot it, but not a steady diet. I have too much money into it to blow it up. I do have a magwell for it, actually from as you mentioned Jody EGW, had it plated in NP3 for lubricity, fitted to the frame and hand polished it.

Thanks Splashdown, I got tired of the skateboard tape. The frame is off the get Cerakoted, probably blue titanium, or bright Beretta blue. Maybe even a two tone, dunno yet. Maybe I'll have the front of the dustcover in red flames.............who knows.

I can see the eyebrows raising up when I step to the line with my Beretta............but that's what I want. Then who knows, maybe I'll take Beretta up on their offer..........but one things for sure, I'll stick out at the matches........

>Bob

Edited by PB92

Hey Mike! Yeah, I'm gettin close. Having a custom made extended slide lock lever made, and some very deep laser engraving up front on the slide flats for gripability, cause I rack the slide from underneath with my left hand fingertips, so I need something on that smooth slide.

Like Warp asked, I might shave off the front sight, still on the fence with that. It would look good I think though.

How about it guys, should I shave the front sight or leave it? Open to all comments, good or bad...........thankx!!!

>Bob

There is a local guy in the Charlotte area who is shooting a Beretta 96 in Limited. He is well aware of the limitations and has a blast anyway.

PB92, that is a cool looking gun!

What ever happened to the Beretta factory competition guns? Weren't they Single Action variants specifically for this type of usage?

JFlowers wrote:

What ever happened to the Beretta factory competition guns? Weren't they Single Action variants specifically for this type of usage?

You must be referring to the 92/96 Combat and/or Stock models.

They are as scarce as hen's teeth. And if a guy or a shop truly knows what they have (err... thanks gunbroker... :unsure: ) then they'll ask a hefty price for one too. AFAIK, they never came in an Inox finish either, just flat black .... ugg...

About the only other single action Beretta 92/96's that I know of are the Steel models. They have some sort of nickel like finish, which in my hands is darn slippery (read : lots of skateboard tape). Plus, they have the Vertec grips which poke my strong hand's palm pretty bad. :(

I have shot a 96 in .40 cal with major PF loads and I get bit by the hammer. :surprise:

I think the most I have ever stuffed in the gun has been either 15+1 or 16+1. So it's not a real viable option for Limited, IMO.

I would rather have 20+1 rounds of 9mm in a 92, get my good hits and NOT have to do a reload during most stages. Kind of the lesser of two evils I suppose.

A little birdie once told me that a Beretta limited gun was in the works but that BUSA is a too wrapped up meeting their military contracts to focus on it, for now. :rolleyes:

Hmmm... I am using the MecGar mags with the basepads that will hold 20 + 1 rounds of 9mm.

I can stuff the .40 rounds in 'em and the gun runs fine. But I can only stuff 15 usually into those mags.

Is he doing something to the follower to get it to hold 18 + 1 rounds?

I have a really high grip and fat hands, so that's probably why I am getting the hammer bite.

I am almost tempted to take the hammer out, take it over to the stationary disc sander and "shave" some metal off it.

Yeah, kinda half a$$ed, I know...

There is a local guy in the Charlotte area who is shooting a Beretta 96 in Limited. He is well aware of the limitations and has a blast anyway.

PB92, that is a cool looking gun!

Hey thanks guys. Beretta fell out of the pistol competition market, so anything for that market faded out years ago, and the DoD M9 contract didn't help it either. Yes, SA pistols are the norm in Open, long story short, a shooter said to me at a match that a Beretta was impossible to use in Open, "can't be done" he said, I dis-agreed. Here we are. I could type pages on how this gun was built, parts polished, fitted, tuned, made, etc.

BUSA (Beretta USA) does want to get back into that market, and my Open Beretta will hopefully lead the way..........been talking with BUSA for a while now.....................

>Bob

Chills, get ahold of Dave Olhasso, he can probably modify a hammer for you specifically for your needs. It's tough to get hammer bite on a Beretta, but I'm sure he can help..........let us know how you make out.

Like Warp asked, I might shave off the front sight, still on the fence with that. It would look good I think though.

How about it guys, should I shave the front sight or leave it? Open to all comments, good or bad...........thankx!!!

>Bob

I vote that you keep it. It does not get in your way, so why bother to take the time to remove it?

Hopefully Beretta will get back into the shooting competition market, as I would be interested in seeing what they would bring to the sport. It would likely cause me to try limited or maybe even open, as I currently shoot revolver almost solely. :D

Blueridge, that was my initial thought with the sight. If it was dovetailed in might be a different story. As far as Beretta, they want to get back into the comp market. I have been talking with them for a year now, I spec'd out a pistol for them, meeting, calls, etc. The DoD is really stressing their production line.

I can't say much right now, but it will be an initial limited run comp pistols, 100-200 guns. I can say my specs call for a Brig slide and S/A frame mounted safety with a steel frame.

Well, BUSA has the final say in it, but that would be a must. Remember, BUSA does take its time in doing things, especially if it may interrupt the M9 production line.

I did watch your videos, and now I can see that you hold the Beretta VERY high. One solution is a shooting glove (I don't care for them personally). As mentioned a very modified hammer. It is costly, but adding to the top strap, aluminum welding an extension on. Then you would have to refinish the frame.

Another option would be getting thinner grips. I have to admit, that is a high hold.

Edited by PB92

Revchuck wrote:

Chills - Maybe this is what you need: http://www.olhasso.com/PS/D_StyleHammers.htm

Thanks Chuck.

PB92 wrote:

.... I did watch your videos, and now I can see that you hold the Beretta VERY high....I have to admit, that is a high hold.

I get a chuckle out of that. I just rewatched some of my vids. Removing some skateboard tape might get my hand a little lower so the "web" part isn't sticking over the beavertail.

The hammer bite thing is kinda why I switched over to L-10 with a single stack 1911 and the Chip McCormick 10 round mags.

That and Safariland provided a $250 certificate at a prize table at a steel match that I picked up. So I now have a gamier holster and rig, thanks to Safariland. :D

PB92 also wrote:

It is costly, but adding to the top strap, aluminum welding an extension on. Then you would have to refinish the frame.

Yeah, I had thought of that, but, hey it's just a Beretta. I don't want to sink that much money into it.

That's money I could put into a for real STI limited race gun in .40 (that'll hold 20+ rounds) instead.

@ PB92.. is the comp on your Open Beretta stainless steel or aluminum. It sure is very shiney. B)