Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tripp Research 10rd Single Stack .40 Mags

John Thompson

Benny Hill had a stack of them on his table at the Texas State Limited. He says that they lock up a bit higher for more reliable feeding and are an order of magnitude superior to the Wilson mags (speaking of the .45 size), with the .40 just as nice.

While I didn't shoot 'em, I was very impressed with the fit and finish. Let us know how they work!

Alex

They're great mags, I've been using them since they came out. They disassemle easily, so you can clean them at a match if you drop this in sand, and they're built like a tank, the spring is the thickest diameter mag spring I've ever seen used, and the follower design seems ultra rugged. HOWEVER, I do ocassionally have the slide fail to lock back with these mags, but I, as a rule, don't run the gun dry so it's not an issue. Let me know if you have any specific questions...

Bill,

dont tell me these were the onse that did not fall free last weekend, or were they? I saw you strip mags at least twice as I remember.

I'd love to build a single stack .40, but the mag issue always keeps me from spending the money.

Tom

I use them in my gun that is fitted with a 10mm and 40 barrel and had a problem with them. Since it places the round higher, the rim was hitting the bottom of the ejector and causing feeding problems. With the slide locked back and placing a full magazine in, I can see the round was pointing higher and to the right. A gunsmith shaved a little off the bottom of the ejector and the problem was solved. I only had that problem with the 10mm and not the 40. I guess the shorter round had more space to straighten itself out before it chambered.

Besides that, my only other complains are the price, 10th round is a little difficult load and the base pad makes it a little harder to conceal (not an issue at matches).

Bill,

dont tell me these were the onse that did not fall free last weekend, or were they?  I saw you strip mags at least twice as I remember.

Tom,

I was trying to circumvent telling the story of Tripp mags, but you've backed me into a corner :rolleyes:

Tripp's original 10 rnd 40 mags were not up to par. He didn't make them long enough, so you had spring stack and they were a bear to seat with the slide forward. They also didn't like to drop out of the gun. I bought four of these.

After discovering the problems I let Virgil know. He seemed already aware of the issues and said he was going to fix the design. Weeks go by and I receive two Tripp mags which have been redesigned. The new design is slightly (about 0.1") longer than the old ones and have a slightly different basepad design (the new design has a rib running down the front of the basepad).

So here I am, newly built EGW 40, two good mags, and four bad ones and dying to shoot the new gun in matches.

Tom, you may have noticed me constantly shifting the mags in my pouches, this was because I was loading 9 rounds in the bad mags (so they could seat properly) and therefore had to plan the 10 round mags to be in the right place at the right time. Problem with this was that the older mags don't drop like they should.

Soooo, Tripp's new mags, which I am sure are the only ones you can now buy, are good...

Well Guys:

I bought four of Virgel's mags only way i got them to work to my

satisfaction was to put McCormick 10mm followers and Wolf springs in them.

Havent shot them that much but they have worked so far.

I was really surprised that Virgel put out such poor mag!

Brownells new catalog has some 10 round 40 mags in it.

:huh:

Jim Anglin

Sailors custom Pistols

4760 n 17th st.

Omaha ne 6810

402 451 0797

jjanglin@msn.com

I had the same experience as Bill Schwab

I bought a number of the Tripp .40 mags through Shooter's Connection, and could not get them working.

I got in touch with Virgil, and he sent me two new ones to try. They are slightly longer, and have a slightly different basepad. And, they work *flawlessly*.

Bruce

Bill:

The problems I have with Virgel's Mags are they are a bear to

seat when loaded with 10 rounds,nose dives.

Ive sent Virgel an E-Mail to ask him what he wants to do

I dont want them the way they are and wont sell them

to my customers at this time!

Jim Anglin

Sailors custom Pistols

4760 n 7th st.

omaha Ne 6810

402 451 0797

The new run of Tripp mags is supposed to resolve that I believe. Virgil had told me he was correcting the length of the mags to solve the "tough to seat" when full with 10 rounds and a round in the chamber. This should also resolved the issue with nose dives.

Jim,

I got a question for you. I have Wilson and Metalform 45 10 round single stack mags and have them tuned to feed 40. They do so really well and are almost perfect, except for the 10th round (first round out of the mag) from slide lock. They almost always feed fine (the whole mag) if the 10th round is chambered from slide closed or fed from being shot. But, if I try to chamber the 10th round from slide lock, it will nose dive approximately 50% of the time at least. If I take the mag out and re-push the round back down so it sets normally in the mag and I re-insert the mag (slide closed) and rack one in, it works.

I've watched as I've held the slide and slowly tried to chamber a round from slide lock and watched what it does. The second the breechface hits the round and pushed it forward, the nose of the round immediately goes down and nose dives. If done by hand cycling the slide, it works. Any ideas????

Also, anyone have any experience with the JP Enterprises mag catch that is supposed to raise the mag and work great????

:wub: Kevin and all:

What springs do you have in them? Your lip deminsions should

be 0.383-0.390- Make sure your lips are even front to back on the inside where the rounds slide out into the chamber,polish the last .075 really well bot sides inside-just

a small lump will screw this up. If this doesnt work; using("Wolf")

springs do the the brian touch count down three rungs from the

follower on the rear portion of the spring and on that rung go forward

0.100 thousands grab ahold of this area with needle nose pliers

(good Ones) and put your thumb on the front of this same rung and

bend up so the rung curves up and forces the follower to point

up a little.

I got a hold of Virgil and he gave me his UPS account # and said

send em to him and he would replace all four of the mags I got

from him not a question guys -class act this guy is

Hey Guys:

I havent tried any of the JP's mag catches if ya use Virgels mags you dont

want them any higher.

Brownells sells 10 round 40S&W metal form mags now.

If ya guys need any help Ill :D be glad to do it.

Also Ive done some extensive R&D on Para's Lda and can really get

the triggers down to around 3 # and slick the action up real nice.

Jim Anglin

Sailors Custom Pistols

4760 n 17th st

Omaha Ne 68110

402 451 0797

jjanglin@msn.com

The Metalforms are in the Brownell's cataloge but are not listed on the web site and I wasn't able to order any.

Just spoke with Metalform ~ their NEW 40 S&W 10 round mags should be shipping out starting late Sept. / early Oct. I backordered 50 of them for Clark Custom Guns, Inc. Will let y'all know how they work as soon as they come in.

I went and checked out Tripp's website, and saw that he also has 9mm mags. I sent him an e-mail asking if his 9mm mags are 9rds or 10rds; that was the beginning of the week and haven't heard anything. Does anyone know the answer? Also on the 40 mags do the mags have the traditional spacer in the back, no spacer, or a spacer in front like the new metal form 9mms.

Thanks

I just had two of the new Tripp mags show up at the house. I ordered them from Chuck at Shooters Connection. They had been backordered for the last couple of weeks. These are supposed to be the latest and greatest version of the mag. I loaded them up with both long and short .40s. All hand cycled with no problems. I thought I had a box of 10mm around somewhere, but can't find it at the moment. I'll try some live fire through them tomorrow and see if there are any problems. They loaded easily by hand, and were no more difficult to seat than my s.s. 45 mags. Actually, much easier to seat than my Para .40 w/ 21 in the mag.

This is in a stock Delta Elite. The basepad has a built in stop that runs up the front of the mag. This should not interfer with most s.s. magwells.

The new mags ran great! One mag would not lock the slide open after the last round. Some of the factory mags don't lock it open either. I don't see this as a real problem. The other mag would lock the slide open with one round remaining in the mag. Not good. It did this the first 4 or 5 times. After that, the problem went away. I'll probably file the slide stop catch a little on the follower just to be sure.

Other than that, everything was great. The mags load all 10 rounds easily, and seat in the gun with no problems when fully loaded. Now I just need to get a few more of these. I fired around 250 rounds with no mag-related problems except for what I've noted above. I shot both long-loaded and short 40s. No problems.

UPDATE: after much use my new style Tripp mags are now swelling and not falling out of the gun. I called Tripp concerning this yesterday and he said to throw the top 3" of a gutted mag body in a padded vise and squeeze it down to 0.533" width. :blink: I threw two mag bodies in the vise, was able to squeeze them down to 0.540", from 0.545", and tested them today with great success. It seemed to me like if you squeezed them any tighter than 0.540" the follower would start binding in the tube. :o Hope this helps....

Sounds like great mags :wacko:

If you like having to squeeze them in a vise every once in while to tune them back into shape. And play with the springs. And tune the lips. And change the followers....

Guess I'll stick with Metalforms until the R&D session is complete! Thanks everybody for saving me some bucks!