Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Loaded Full Size

JeffCSR

Since My HiCap's dead (cracked frame) Springfield let me trade it even up for any of their Loaded Series guns. I chose the 9mm Full Size Loaded. I still haven't gotten to the range yet but like what I see so far.

I bought a Novak (Champion) Adjustable rear sight / a Smith Alexander Magwell & Grips / and a couple Wilson ETM mags before I ever saw the gun. Now that I have it, I like it too much just 'as is' so I don't want to change anything until I need to or firmly make up my mind. I'm a southpaw and really like the new Ambi Safety Springfield uses, the right side paddle is just as big as the left, where my older Loaded is just a WilsonCombat Copy (smaller rt side paddle).

I did clean it and check it over... Lots of metal shavings inside, and only a few burrs on the frame rails. This slide is not super tight like all my Previous Springfield guns which I like... I don't have to wrestle the slide off the frame.

The barrel bushing is extremely loose so I may have to change it. I have .010 thousandths play total (.008 in bushing to slide and .002 in bushing to barrel)

After I tweaked the sear spring (Left leaf was too heavy) I have a nice trigger pull and that's with the factory ILS spring. Giving me about 1 1/4 lb tension on each leaf now. The left leaf was almost 3lbs by itself

I'm a little sad that I bought the Wilson Mags before getting the gun because it came with a coupon to purchase more factory mags at 1/2 the cost of the Wilsons... To me more mags would've been better. Would you say the Wilson ETM mags are worth it vs. the Factory mags?

As I've never had a 9mm 1911 before I'm without experience on the extractor, their is almost zero tension but it will hold a cartridge in place as long as you don't "shake" the slide.

Last, the recoil spring is only 9 lbs. which I'm told is because of the heavier Mainspring. A bit light isn't it?

I appreciate any advise on what I should do about the Recoil Spring, Extractor Tension, and Barrel Bushing

Is a shok buff even something you'd say in the same sentence with "9mm 1911" ?

TIA... (oh and here are some pics)

9mm1-1.jpg

9mm2.jpg

9mm3.jpg

9mm4.jpg

9mm6.jpg

Hello: Install the magwell and go shoot that thing. I am playing with a STI 9mm single stack I just built. I have been using different recoil springs but settled on a 17lb mainspring. I would buy 10 of the Springfield mags just in case you want 9 round mags for IDPA. On that note I will trade for your Wilson mags for my Springfield/Metalform mags with base pads :D Looks like you have a fine looking pistol there. Thanks, Eric

A 9lb recoil spring should be ok but I install a 17 lb mainspring on all of mine. The extractor should have a bit more than "zero" tension on it and I would tune and polish it also. With more tension on the extractor, you may also need to increase the recoil spring weight if you get even one failure to feed.

Edited by Trader

On extractor tuning, while I know the .45acp extractors I don't believe I know enough about 9mm and I don't want to ruin my extractor.

I drew this.... I know the pic is exaggerated but Don't laugh :) ...

extractors.jpg

I am assuming you have to have the 9mm extractor grab 'at the hook' because it looks like there's not enough material to get the shank to hold the rim. Am I right?

I've got a Springfield Loaded in 9mm and it has been totally reliable. The extractor tension is zero on it but it works! I'm just leaving the extractor tension alone since it works so well.

I ended up changing the mainspring to 19 lb, and put a 12 lb recoil spring in it. I haven't put a shok buff in it.

I also replaced the bushing since the accuracy sucked. Springfield specs these to group within 3.5" at 25 yd.

Edited by 10ring

I purchased a Springfield exactly like yours a couple months ago. I have shot it in 1 USPSA and 2 IDPA matches. It has run 100% as long as I stick with the stock 9 round mags or the 10 round Wilson ETM mags. Although I have been known to buy and attach every gun gadget known to man on my guns, so far this little Springfield is stock :) I have not even put a mag well on it yet. After all the factory does that nice beveling job on the mag well and that was good enough back in the day.

I suggest you give those Wilson ETM mags a fair chance. In my experience 10 is always better than 9 whether shooting USPSA or IDPA. The exception being the few odd IDPA stages that reward 9 + 1 <_<

You might consider doing what I have been doing. Shoot it, clean it, oil it and shoot it some more. Repeat as needed :D

Merry Christmas,

Keith

I found that the stock thumb safety on my Springfield Loaded had a nasty sharp edge that didn't feel good, so I gave it a nice contour with the Dremel. Using the stock parts, I couldn't get the trigger quite where I wanted it, but after installing and tuning an EGW sear and Koenig hammer, it's perfect now. I also added and contoured a S&A magwell and put some grip tape on the frontstrap. That was 4 or 5 years ago, and the gun has been running great ever since.

I tried one of those adjustable Champion rear sights briefly, but it quickly broke. Now I'm just using a plain black Novak rear sight and a Dawson F/O up front.

Broke away from work today to get in some shooting,

Wow! I could shoot this gun all day! I took it and my .45 Loaded model and the 9mm is definitely a treat!

I did though find I have a bad habit I can't seem to break, I shoot (southpaw) with my thumb on the safety and I kept finding I was depressing the safety further 'down' during firing. I repeatedly tried not too but it was a natural feeling for me and I shoot better with thumb over safety. My other Loaded Model didn't have this problem as the safety lever parks on the grips. I was nervous I might cause some damage to the sear or something related by forcing the thumbsafety down.

Accuracywise and Point of Impact were good and compareable to my .45 Loaded, guess I won't need to use that Champion Adjustable sight after all.

All I need now are more magazines, both the factory mags and the Wilson ETM's worked flawlessly.

Wish I had more to report but only had 40 minutes to shoot (lunch break) and only 150rds of ammo.

A picture of mine is in my avator. Close to 20,000 rounds through it. All I have done to it was put more tension on the the extractor, a trigger job on the stock parts, removed the ILS, and changed the recoil spring to 10 lbs. I have been thinking about changing the barrel bushing to a Briley one just to help tighten the groups up a bit.

• 6 years later...

I've used both ETM and Tripp Cobra mag. I like the Tripp's better. The plastic follower on the ETM's will deform from engagment with the slide stop and start failing. Also, the ETM's when fully loaded are harder to load into the gun with the slide forward since they have less play (not a typical issue if shooting IDPA but a pain for USPSA.