Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson Adjustables

Bill Nesbitt

A couple of weeks ago we put Dawson adjustable sights on my wifes Glock 17. They are pretty nice.

Sue is a lefty and looks at the sights differently than I do. :huh: If a gun is sighted in for me, she hits a couple of inches low right. If I shoot a gun sighted in for her I hit a couple of inches high left. :D Since we figured that out and got her gun sighted in correctly, things have been better around the household. :wub:

Anyway, about the sights. :D They seem to be what everybody says they want in a sight. The front sight is .100" wide with a small fiber optic insert. Easy to see but not overpowering. A sort of pyramid base that is wide at the bottom to accept the mounting screw, then quickly narrows to .100" is the key. The rear sight has a .130" wide notch which is .080 deep. The short depth does not seem to hinder a good sight picture. The rear is a plain black sight with no inserts of any kind. There is plenty of light on each side of the front sight. The windage and elevation adjustments are easy to make with a small screwdriver. The rear face of both sights has fine serrations.

I have a Heinie Slant Pro rear with a Dawson fiber optic front on my Glock. The front sight is .135" and I have opened the rear to .160". If I ever need to replace them I will use the Dawson adjustable. :D

Bill Nesbitt

Bill,

I just put the Dawson set on a G35 for one of the guys. The front was advertised as .100 inches. It measured .107 inches. (For those that might wonder, .007 inches on a front sight makes a difference. As a matter of fact, I think Dawson offers them in .005 increments :blink: )

The guy I was putting them on for said to go ahead and install them.

I didn't think there was enough light on the sides. (I shoot a Heinie front narrowed to .115 on my G35). I would have to open up the rear sight width on the Dawson...and I'm not sure how much I could do that with the fiber rear?

BTW, Dale had ordered a few of the narrowed Dawson Fiber front sights...they didn't measure as advertised either.

Bill says his rears have no FO insert, just plain black. Flex says you can't open up the rear Dawson because of the fiber optic inserts. The pictures I've seen show FO inserts in the rear sight, turned me off.

The sights as Bill described sound good. Bill, did you actually measure the front? I'm not trying to be picky, I do appreciate the info in your post. Thanks.

TomB

Flex says you can't open up the rear Dawson because of the fiber optic inserts.

Tom,

Just for the record...you likely could open up the rear...or, maybe not. ;) I didn't look at doing that very hard. Didn't seem like there was a whole lotta room with the FO rears though.

Yea, the front actually measures around .105"

Sounds like somebody at Dawson needs to get the calipers out. These sight seem to have a good chance of being what everybody wants...no sense in them screwing that up with sloppy Quality Control. <_<

They're on sale still for $119. Not sure it's what I want.

Flex, it wouldn't make sense to me either to try and widen the rear with the FO inserts. Heck, I don't want the inserts even. It's the all black rear adjustable that caught my eye.

I figured that .105" was way better than .135" and decided not to worry. :D I like the fiber in the front only. I just went to Dawson's web site and they are still there for $119.

I was surprised when I measured my Dawson front that goes with SlantPro rear and found it to be .135". :unsure:

Brownells sells a file with safe sides that is supposed to be used when fitting 1911 slides to the frame. I have hogged out a bunch of rear sights with it. B)

Bill Nesbitt

Twix

Here's what I did for sights on my G23:

Put on a plain black MMC rear and a Dawson Precision Fiber Optical front made for the Novak rear. The front sight is .160 high. I opened up the MMC rear a little with a file and Dremel.

Looks like a small combat rear sight and it's adjustable. The front sight is very low.

I've heard of some front sight and holster problems with the Dawson Glock sight set. The front sight is too high for some holsters.

Hey thanks DoD, I'll look into that.

I've got my Brownells catalog in front of me, but I'm not sure which file you guys say is best for "hogging" the rear sight. Is it the "sight base file"?

I know not everyone has access to a machine shop but I usually machine the front sight until i like the width. Just put one of dawson's new fiber optic front sights on my Fat Free Long Slide and love it.

Since it has a small ledge for the fiber optic to sit on, the sight picture appears the same even when you have to change optic rod in the middle of a match. No more oddly shaped fiber optic blobs that look different than the last one! It was a little wider than the advertised width.

I got a note from Paul (at Dawson). He said that Dave (Dawson) saw this thread. Their front sight are supposed to be within +/- .002 of advertised. If you get one that you aren't happy with, they pledge to make it right.

Heck...I'll just post the email:

My name is Paul Payne, I am the sales and marketing manager at Dawson Precision. Dave Dawson was browsing your forum and wanted to clarify a few things.

Our front sight tolerance is + or - .002" evidently some shooters felt they received some sights that were out of tolerence. We have only one goal, satisfied customers. We will gladly QC and replace any sights out of tolerance.

Our sight widths are as follows:

1. For DP Adjustable Rear sight the front sight widths are .100 and .125(+/-.002)

2. For Heinie rear DP front sight widths are .105 and .125(+/-.002).

3. For Glock standard or Novak rear sight the DP front sight width is .125(+/-.002).

The reason for these widths is to maintain as much integrity in the mounting of the sight as possible.

Thank you for providing a service to the shooters as well as the manufacturers who are truly concerned whith customer satisfaction. Feel free to post on forum.

Dave has really enjoyed ths web site and forum interaction.

[/i]

To be fair to Dawson, my front sight is an old one. The one that had a hump in it before I took a file to it, smoothed it out and put serrations in it with a checkering file. It now looks like Dawson's current production. :D

I recently got another Dawson front to go with a Heinie rear for a new Glock 17 I got. (everybody needs a spare Glock, right? B) ) I just measured it and the new sight is .125". I hope this clears up any confusion. ;)

Bill Nesbitt

I have Dawson fiber optic front sights on my G22 and G35, and they are "awesome". Now with the sale, I might have to get a complete set for my other G35 :P

joel, please post after you get your new sights, I'd like to know how it works with the Blade Tech holster.

• 3 weeks later...
PacMan...I'll be happy to let you know. I'm watching the mail like a hawk!! - j.  :ph34r:

I got my Dawson adjustable sights the other day and had them installed. Shot them in today and they are great. I am looking forward to the next match to see if they help me any. They are very well made and the front optic is resting in a cradle. Very bright outside with natural light, and quite good with satisfactory indoor lighting. I shot them today at the NRA indoor range as the targets don't bounce up and down.

My G34 slides w/o any problem into my Blade-Tech DOH (for the G34). However I do have some catching in trying to get it out. There is a very thin line where the front sight is marking the holster. Blade-Tech told me that if I had a problem they would take care of it. However there is a lot of holster at the front sight area and I believe I can solve the problem without the mailing back and forth. There's not much rubbing. After all, "beauty is only in the eye of the beholder" - Shakespit. - joel B)