Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

POLL: How do you run your competition gas system ?

StealthyBlagga

The other thread on this topic piqued my interest... please post what gas system approach you find to be most reliable and effective for your competition AR15. If you have encountered any problems with your approach (e.g. unreliable in cold weather, only works with heavy bullets, whatever), please share. Please mention also if you use an unusual combination, such as a light-weight bolt carrier with a non-adjustable gas system.

Right now, I'm running a rifle length system with an 18" barrel. I'm going to a 16" mid-length rifle, again with an adjustable gas system. Both are tuned to less than wide open (about a 1/4 turn more closed than what it takes to lock open the action.

Rich

JP CTR-02 18" adjusted per the owners manual for the ammo and mags that I use.

I have to admit that I screwed it up at my first 3 Gun match. I proved myself an even stupider idiot by adjusting the screw the wrong way after my first stage and my $3G race AR effectively became a bolt action. Glad I made that mistake at my first local match.

Right now, I'm running a rifle length system with an 18" barrel. I'm going to a 16" mid-length rifle, again with an adjustable gas system. Both are tuned to less than wide open (about a 1/4 turn more closed than what it takes to lock open the action.

Rich

What he said, but Im sticking with my 18". I also have the same set up with a mid-length gas system and run it the same way.

Both are tuned to less than wide open (about a 1/4 turn more closed than what it takes to lock open the action.

so... your guns don't lock open on any empty mag, then? (just making sure I understand correctly ;) ).

Mine is an 18" with full length gas system opened 1/4 turn beyond where it locks the bolt open (so that it DOES lock the bolt back reliably). I tried closing the gas to where it did not lock back and it would occasionally fail to strip a round from the mag.

Dave - The opposite. I dialed the gas system more closed to put more gas into the tube and have more positive cycling. :D

Gotcha... I'd have thought the terms meant the opposite (closed vs. open) ;)

Either 16 or 18" mid length, non-adjustable gas block, jp low mass (steel) bolt carrier, and enedine (sp?) buffer.

I have had adjustable gas blocks on my guns and as long as I set them the way jp recomended and didn't mess with them or change my loads I was ok.

I always slighty over gassed them so the gun would run dirty.

In the last year I took them off my 2 primary race uppers after I installed the enedine buffers in the lower. I played with the gas settings after the addition of the enedine. It didn't seem like I had to dial the gas down so low to flatten the gun out so I just took the adjustable gas blocks off.

Peter

FY-39604