Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G17 with ismi 11lb recoil spring

slickrick

Sorry, not much help here. I just don't have the knack. Stopped with the recoil spring swaps a year or so back. Never got anything to run consistently. The ammo is tuned to run the gun. My minor PF is 140 and major clocks in around 173. Since reverting to the stock recoil assemblies my Glocks have run lights out. My game can't afford any malfs. :blink:

Jim

11lb is pretty light. In my 34 the 11lb with stock striker spring pulled my slide out of battery ever so slightly when I pulled the trigger slowly. Ugly things will happen with live ammo with that setup. Every gun is different though it seems, which is why the "vertical test" should be performed more routinely than not.

Be safe.

11lb is pretty light. In my 34 the 11lb with stock striker spring pulled my slide out of battery ever so slightly when I pulled the trigger slowly. Ugly things will happen with live ammo with that setup. Every gun is different though it seems, which is why the "vertical test" should be performed more routinely than not.

Be safe.

How do you do the vertical test? I just ordered a couple of diff. springs and that sounds like a good thing to know. Already had one shoot out of battery last year.

Be safe.

How do you do the vertical test? I just ordered a couple of diff. springs and that sounds like a good thing to know. Already had one shoot out of battery last year.

Basicly, with an unloded gun, point it straight up, and keep holding in the trigger back and pull the slide to rear. Let the slide forward slowly, and when it's almost closed let go of slide slowly and it should close the rest of the way on its own.

To check for slide opening slightly out of battery, point the gun straight up, again unloaded, and pull the trigger slowly and watch to see if the slide moves back at all.

Also try a search for "vertical test" for more discussion because its been covered here alot, but there is alot of good reading about spring combos.

Hope that helped.

Basicly, with an unloded gun, point it straight up, and keep holding in the trigger back and pull the slide to rear. Let the slide forward slowly, and when it's almost closed let go of slide slowly and it should close the rest of the way on its own.

To check for slide opening slightly out of battery, point the gun straight up, again unloaded, and pull the trigger slowly and watch to see if the slide moves back at all.

Also try a search for "vertical test" for more discussion because its been covered here alot, but there is alot of good reading about spring combos.

Hope that helped.

so is it unsafe if the slide moves when triggering it vertically but doesn't when trying it horizontally? :rolleyes:

I don't like the ISMI 11# spring. It feels stiffer than their 13#. I generally run a 12 Wolf in 9mm and 13 ISMI in .40.

I ordered a wolf 12lb and 11 and 13 ismi. Just wanted to try a few different things. I have a g34 with a vanek grandmaster kit.

Any ideas on which one to start with.

:cheers:

I run 13# ISMI's in my 17 and 34, using a lightened FP spring.

I had the same problems noted above with 11#'s. In the 34 I had a related problem with the 13#'s and the std FP spring - with fully loaded 10 round magazines and a round in the chamber (i.e., compressed FP spring), slamming a reload would cause the slide to move slightly out of battery. I was lucky in that I got light FP strikes and failures to discharge rather than OOB KB's. The gun, BTW, did pass the slide closing tests described above, both vertically and horizontally.

I tryed an 11 lbs recoil spring on my G34 and had a couple of light primer strikes, went back to 13lbs and no problems since. The reason I love Glocks is reliability, I think that when you try to many mods you are asking for trouble. Good luck, Dan

is the gun unsafe if it fails the vertical test?

Potentially yes. In my opinion, any spring under 15 lb. on a 9mm Glock requires an expert knowledge of the gun's mechanisms and a dedicated willingness to evaluate the life of the spring on an ongoing basis. Frankly there are easier and safer solutions --- 15 lb. and up springs, learning how to gorilla grip the gun, tuning a load to the gun....

I put a little over 30k through a G34 with ISMI 13-pound recoil springs and never had a single problem. However, (1) I monitored the length of the recoil spring and replaced it when it became compressed three coils compared to a new spring, (2) I was also running a Wolff reduced power striker spring. I would never run a lighter-than-stock recoil spring with a stock striker spring. IMHO that's just asking for trouble. When I recently went back to a stock striker spring for a bit more oomph when popping hard primers, I also went back to a stock 17-pound recoil spring.

I put a little over 30k through a G34 with ISMI 13-pound recoil springs and never had a single problem. However, (1) I monitored the length of the recoil spring and replaced it when it became compressed three coils compared to a new spring, (2) I was also running a Wolff reduced power striker spring. I would never run a lighter-than-stock recoil spring with a stock striker spring. IMHO that's just asking for trouble. When I recently went back to a stock striker spring for a bit more oomph when popping hard primers, I also went back to a stock 17-pound recoil spring.

Duane, could you elaborate on what kind of trouble running a lighter recoil spring with a stock striker spring would cause?

Duane, could you elaborate on what kind of trouble running a lighter recoil spring with a stock striker spring would cause?

The recoil spring holds the slide closed (Pressure against the front of the slide). Pulling the trigger needs to compress the striker spring --- applying pressure toward the rear of the slide. With a stock striker spring and a lighter than stock recoil spring it is possible to create a situation where pulling the trigger moves the gun out of battery. Moving the gun out of battery far enough, should cause a failure to fire. Moving the gun out of battery just enough, sets up a very dangerous situation --- where the gun can fire out of battery.....

Yes --- the Glock appears to be mechanically simple. Any gorilla can be taught to detail strip it and put it back together. Substituting non-stock components for factory parts however is more mechanically complex that it appears to be on the surface. Be careful --- and make sure you fully understand how the gun works before tinkering with it. You really could get hurt....

I was thinking about going to a 15lb ISMI in my G22/17 hybrid (G17 parts kit,G22 frame).With a stock striker spring of course.The stock 17lb feels like a good plenty for Minor 9 IMO.When I run it as a G22,I think I'll stick with the factory 17.-Mike

Thanks Nik, I understand now to get that light recoil spring out of my Glock.

Not necessarily. You could also get a reduced power striker spring into your Glock. :lol:

Having said that....

As previously mentioned, about a year ago I "decustomized" all my Glocks by pulling out the aftermarket lightened recoil springs and striker springs. Can't say I miss them.