Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack rules

pjb45

I have a Caspian (fosters) frame gun. I removed some metal under the grip panel areas since Caspian leaves enough to make it an officers frame. With a flat top slide, double cut cocking serrations, plastic MS housing, aluminum mag well AND empty mag it weighs 39.3oz. That's with a full length steel guide rod. I'm thinking about dropping in a GI type to get the nose a bit lighter. Did that on my carry gun and 6inch gun already.

It's interesting that in Limited it's all about light weight, yet in single stack it seems to be the opposite.

I have a Caspian (fosters) frame gun. I removed some metal under the grip panel areas since Caspian leaves enough to make it an officers frame. With a flat top slide, double cut cocking serrations, plastic MS housing, aluminum mag well AND empty mag it weighs 39.3oz. That's with a full length steel guide rod. I'm thinking about dropping in a GI type to get the nose a bit lighter. Did that on my carry gun and 6inch gun already.

It's interesting that in Limited it's all about light weight, yet in single stack it seems to be the opposite.

I think it's more lightweight slide in limited, and the rules (for the most part) prohibit the lightweight slides in SS. I am not trying to make my gun really heavy. I just bought what I thought was a pretty typical off the shelf gun and I want to be able to use it. I'll pick up some kind of scale and post some weights of the 1911's I have.

Some grips are heavier than others too. The G10 stuff is pretty heavy. Of course that could be remedied with a drill press by dimpling the back side to remove some material. I would only do that if your REALLY close on weight.

Steel mainspring housing are really heavy compared to aluminum and plastic too.

Big basepad. You have to trim a 47DE pad if you want it to fit.

My Trojan fits with the extended base pads and SVI magwell. The sight and mag scrub a little going in the box but it fits, no modifications.

ETA: Have not checked the weight of it yet.

Edited by kgunz11

NO offense meant about last year's SS National. But I as remember there was no scale. Nor do I believe there was a box. I think Gary might have alluded to it or maybe he was referring to another match where he forgot his scale and weights. I am not sure. I was a little disappointed that our National match did not follow their own rules. But that could be because it is also a 1911 Society match also.

Last year the January WSSSC did both.

This year at A2 they only did the box.

I suspect that next month Steve will do both again at the WSSSC.

Like I mentioned before the weight issue is the biggest problem. The ounces add up pretty quickly without us even knowing it.

I can say that the Tripp and Wilson mags in my Wilson frame make the box. My friend's SA and Wilson mags made the box also. I thought the Novak mag well looked a little large but I do not know if it is. You might want to ensure your mag wells are not oversized.

I was RM at the Area 8 match this year and we had a box and a scale. Unfortunately my scale lost it's mind and we had to dump it.

Jay Worden, AKA The Wordenbeast, has assured us that there will be a scale and a box at the USPSA Nationals in 2009.

USPSA is in the final processes of obtaining an "official" USPSA box for sale in the store, or thru a vendor. Like most bureaucracies, USPSA moves slower than we would all like. I think all the nuts and bolts will be in place for 2009.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Quick way to weigh a pistol is to use a Trigger Gauge. Some may not be as accurate as needed, my old RCBS Spring Type Gauge bounces a bit and haven't even tried to calibrate it. So far none of mine exceed 43 Oz. on it. Now to calibrate it for accuracy???

But a good Digital Model may do fine.