Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45 loads for IPSC

Jody Waring

I will be loading to the 170 power factor for IPSC. Just opinions from those who like to share, what do you believe is the softest load you have used, or best all around load for reliability, accuracy etc... but one that must be pleasant to shoot. I am just getting set up to shoot my single stack and am trying to gather as much info as I can. I am under the impression that 230's would shoot the softest, but some people say 200's are better. I know it boils down to what I like best, but would just like some input to get me started. I see some guys with their .40's seem like they are shooting powderpuff loads by that I mean the speed they can shoot them at, they don't seem to get much recoil or flip. Can I get similar performance from the .45? I have several thousand 200gr LSW and some 185's as well. I also have several pounds of 231, but some guys have told me to go with clays, etc... I was under the impression years ago 231 was the ticket for .45, but like everything else times change I guess. Appreciate any insight to help out a single stack newbie. Thanks! :cheers:

I will be loading to the 170 power factor for IPSC. Just opinions from those who like to share, what do you believe is the softest load you have used, or best all around load for reliability, accuracy etc... but one that must be pleasant to shoot. I am just getting set up to shoot my single stack and am trying to gather as much info as I can. I am under the impression that 230's would shoot the softest, but some people say 200's are better. I know it boils down to what I like best, but would just like some input to get me started. I see some guys with their .40's seem like they are shooting powderpuff loads by that I mean the speed they can shoot them at, they don't seem to get much recoil or flip. Can I get similar performance from the .45? I have several thousand 200gr LSW and some 185's as well. I also have several pounds of 231, but some guys have told me to go with clays, etc... I was under the impression years ago 231 was the ticket for .45, but like everything else times change I guess. Appreciate any insight to help out a single stack newbie. Thanks! :cheers:

I've used Clays and W231. For some reason most seem to like Clays as the softtest loads. I use W231 with about 5.2gr now but may be bumping it up to about 5.4gr. 230gr Berry bullet, 1.265COL. When I used Clays with the same bullet I used 4.1gr. I also use 231 for my 9mm loads so that's probably why I'm partial. I didn't think the difference was that significant between Clay and 231 plus 231 meters better.

I think there is a big difference in the "shootability" of the .40 over the .45. I have switched from a Spartan .45 to a Trojan .40 and have been able to shoot the .40 much more controllable and faster/accurately than the .45.

I have been using a 200gr Black Bullets International bullet over about 3gr of Hodgdon Clays for a very nice load. I have been finding that an OAL of 1.140" is feeding better than the longer loadings. Seems the altitude out here allows me to use less powder than up north. Either that or this STI barrel is faster than the Schuemann I use to be loading for.

Jody

General thinking is Heavy bullet Fast powder for softer recoil, which is why some have told you Clays with a 230 gr. I personaly liked using 200 gr for 45 ACP with a slower powder; more of a push as opposed to a snappy feel, when I was shoots that cal a lot. They would be cheaper then the 230 gr with the cost of lead now.

Do a search, you should find a bunch of load data, as well as, opinions.

MDA

Well, this is coming from a new guy to USPSA, so take that into account... I started out with 230 gr RN (plated and FMJ), but on the advice from other .45 shooters, switched to LSWC (cheaper, cleaner holes in paper...etc)

I had a bunch of Bullseye powder on hand, so worked up my first load w/ that. Settled on 4.7 gr of Bullseye for a conservative 170 PF (adjusted by subtracting two StdDev's from the mean). Good rounds, meters really well, but kind of dirty.

I'm now using W231 @ 5.6 and 5.7 grs under a 200 gr LSWC. Those rounds were giving me 168-170 PF (adjusted). I haven't fully decided, but think I'll shoot the 5.7 gr when it's cold out, and 5.6 in the summer. I don't have enough data on hand to tell exactly how temp sensitive 231 is w/ my load, but have read on this site that 231 is conventionally temp sensitive (hotter it gets, the faster the bullet goes). Or I could quite trying to over think it and settle on 5.7 to be safe... I'm still playin' w/ it.

I'm also using WST for my wife's .40 SS pistol, so worked up some .45 loads w/ WST ranging from 4.5 gr to 4.7 grains and chrono'd them yesterday. 4.5 gr gave me an adjusted PF of exactly 165, and 4.7 resulted in 169. I did read that WST is inversely temp sensitive, so might need to chrono some rounds when it's colder and hotter out. It was a balmy 50 degrees yesterday, so that's not very conclusive.

Lastly, I did some experimenting w/ springs (based on what I read here). Settled on 14# recoil spring and 19# mainspring for a nice feel and quick realignment of my sights. I've had a few people tell me to adjust my springs based on ejection pattern (5-8 feet), but wasn't sure what the heck ejection had to do with sight alignment and recovery.... BTW, my wife did observe yesterday that I had a slight dip of the muzzle after each shot, which I think means I should try a lighter recoil spring (maybe a 12 or 13 lb)...

YMMV, mine does!

Edited by 2MoreChains

Well, this is coming from a new guy to USPSA, so take that into account... I started out with 230 gr RN (plated and FMJ), I'm now using W231 @ 5.6 and 5.7 grs under a 200 gr LSWC. Those rounds were giving me 168-170 PF (adjusted). I haven't fully decided, but think I'll shoot the 5.7 gr when it's cold out, and 5.6 in the summer. I don't have enough data on hand to tell exactly how temp sensitive 231 is w/ my load, but have read on this site that 231 is conventionally temp sensitive (hotter it gets, the faster the bullet goes). Or I could quite trying to over think it and settle on 5.7 to be safe... I'm still playin' w/ it.

Go for the load that gets you there and then some. If you play it too close it will bite you in the ass when you least expect it. I came close at a major match one year and just squeaked by... it would have cost me the win in the class (IDPA). I believe that if you have to rely on a tenth or two of powder to get you an advantage you are making a mistake. I wouldn't shoot major with anything under 170 now and nothing in minor under 135 now. I look for a powder that I like and find loads that get me there. It's just not worth it. I also use all loads the same- practice and matches.

Edited by lugnut

Lugnut, thanks for the advice. I'm using a tip I picked up from some guy when working up a load to give myself a little cushion. The PF's I posted above are not the averages. I'm subtracting two standard deviations from the average. Using 5.7 gr, my average of a 20-shot string was actually 177 PF, but the calculated StdDev of that string was 3.2 PF. Subtracting two StdDevs (6.4) results in an adjusted PF of 170.6 (or 170). Adjusted is probably not the right word (maybe corrected?)

5.6 grs was giving me an average of 174, and a corrected PF of 168. That one is probably too close for comfort given variability in temps. Of course, I've only shot local matches so far, but trying to do the integrity thing.

I probably don't have the terms right, but I think the math is correct.

Any suggestions on my combination of springs?

Cheers

Lugnut, thanks for the advice. I'm using a tip I picked up from some guy when working up a load to give myself a little cushion. The PF's I posted above are not the averages. I'm subtracting two standard deviations from the average. Using 5.7 gr, my average of a 20-shot string was actually 177 PF, but the calculated StdDev of that string was 3.2 PF. Subtracting two StdDevs (6.4) results in an adjusted PF of 170.6 (or 170). Adjusted is probably not the right word (maybe corrected?)

5.6 grs was giving me an average of 174, and a corrected PF of 168. That one is probably too close for comfort given variability in temps. Of course, I've only shot local matches so far, but trying to do the integrity thing.

I probably don't have the terms right, but I think the math is correct.

Any suggestions on my combination of springs?

Cheers

I appreciate the suggestions. It helps me out a lot. It is nice to have a place to start.

I had figured I would need around 5.5 of 231 with a 200gr bullet, I shot some of my dad's old .45 Open gun ammo the other day that is loaded to 6.0gr and it was pretty snappy, actually VERY snappy. I have considered bullseye, I used to like it in 9mm, haven't used it in years. Will load a few rounds this week and hopefully get out on the weekend to test, thanks for all of the input guys :cheers:

2739721379_574a995d3a_b.jpg

I use Solo-1000 for much of my shooting. It's extremely fast, clean burning, and generates very mild recoil. When I did my annual shooting budget, a 25lb Keg goes for $270 wich works out to roughly $10.80 per pound, quite a bit cheaper than VV-N320! That 25lbs will load 36,000 pistol cartriges, or 10,000 shotshells. Since I use it for both, I calculate each keg will load roughly 6000 shotshells, plus 16,000 pistol cartriges, and purchase my lead and primer based on that formula. The total comes to just under $3,500/yr for components to load for both sports.

In .45 I use mixed brass, CCI large pistol primers, with 4.5gr with a 230gr Precision Molly or 4.8gr with a 200gr Precision Molly OAL= 1.240" both make Major.

In .40 S&W I use mixed brass, CCI small pistol primers, 4.5gr with a 200 Precision Molly or 4.8gr with a 185gr Precision Molly OAL = 1.220" both make Major.

In 12ga, I use 17gr under a 1.125oz of #8 shot for my skeet/sporting clays load.

Edited by JDBraddy

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

James I sure would like to try some Solo for 45 cal, can you bring me a cup full at the next match?

I can attest that your loads seem to shoot soft the gun barley moves and I can't even hear the thing, it just goes poot poot poot, it knocks down steel and puts holes in card board. I'll bring my Chrono and we will see if it makes power factor.

I just mortgaged my house and bought a pound of N320, Yikes $30.00 a pound.

Ron Mann

I use Solo-1000 for much of my shooting. It's extremely fast, clean burning, and generates very mild recoil. When I did my annual shooting budget, a 25lb Keg goes for $270 wich works out to roughly $10.80 per pound, quite a bit cheaper than VV-N320!

JDBraddy - can I ask you where you're buying solo in 25lb kegs? The largest containers I've found any cannister powder sold in ar 8lb jugs, even from black hills shooter supply (tho they also don't stock Accurate brand powders). Largest volume Powder Valley sells Solo in is also 8lbs.

I ususally load WW231 for .45, but the best price I can get is $106/8lbs, and that's if I place a 500lb order and have it delivered by commercial freight. I'm having some impulse control problems, but the shopping list hasn't gotten that bad yet.

thanks in advance,

jared