Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scope for long range/tactical rifle

ofcrfs242

Any opinions on Ziess? Have been looking at either a Burris XTR or a Ziess conquest. This is strictly to paper shoot. I really have no other use for it otherwise but just want to put a scope on the .308 i caught a deal on. They are both close on price and in my range. Looking at a 6x variable. I think they aer 6-20 off the top of my head.....

• 2 weeks later...

I have to chime in too. I just today got to test the new Army M110 Sniper rifle (308 Armilite semi auto), of course it came with a Leupold scope as did the M24 bolt gun and the last 3 sniper systems (SPR, SR 25 and M24 in 300 Win Mag).

My question is: How much power do you need on a 308? My Leupold 3 1/2 to 10 power (Same scope the Army sniper guns have) seems pretty good and for what I shoot at (800 meters) I don't see a difference of a more powerful scope. Then again playing the games we play (3 gun included) I really don't want to trash a more expensive scope either.

My Leupold story is a great one. I had a problem with a Bosh and Lomb about 8 years ago, sent it to the factory and they returned it saying it was to old and they would not/could not do anything. A friend at Leupold heard of my problem and asked me to send it in to Leupold just for shits and grins and I did. About 3 weeks later Leupold returned it almost as new. They repacked and told me not to use on anything larger than a 308, stating that the scope was old and could not take the punishment of a Magnum.

Can bet your a-- you can guess what almost every scope I own is!

We did have to change out almost all of the ARMS mounts and went to LaRue at the old unit at Fort Lewis...Again, LaRue takes care of business and the ARMS mounts did break...with no warning and there didn't seem to be any fix for the problem.

I try to stay loyal to those that take care of business and remember the customer is right.

RLTW,

Sincerely,

The Falcon Menace 4-14x44 is probably the best bargin scope available in FFP AND MIL/MIL.

The IOR 3-18 FFP scope can be troublesome to mount on some rifles. EGW makes an extend rail for Rem 700 that will allow you to get the scope BACK far enough for proper eye relief.

I have to chime in too. I just today got to test the new Army M110 Sniper rifle (308 Armilite semi auto), of course it came with a Leupold scope as did the M24 bolt gun and the last 3 sniper systems (SPR, SR 25 and M24 in 300 Win Mag).

My question is: How much power do you need on a 308? My Leupold 3 1/2 to 10 power (Same scope the Army sniper guns have) seems pretty good and for what I shoot at (800 meters) I don't see a difference of a more powerful scope. Then again playing the games we play (3 gun included) I really don't want to trash a more expensive scope either.

My Leupold story is a great one. I had a problem with a Bosh and Lomb about 8 years ago, sent it to the factory and they returned it saying it was to old and they would not/could not do anything. A friend at Leupold heard of my problem and asked me to send it in to Leupold just for shits and grins and I did. About 3 weeks later Leupold returned it almost as new. They repacked and told me not to use on anything larger than a 308, stating that the scope was old and could not take the punishment of a Magnum.

Can bet your a-- you can guess what almost every scope I own is!

We did have to change out almost all of the ARMS mounts and went to LaRue at the old unit at Fort Lewis...Again, LaRue takes care of business and the ARMS mounts did break...with no warning and there didn't seem to be any fix for the problem.

I try to stay loyal to those that take care of business and remember the customer is right.

RLTW,

Sincerely,

I have Leupolds on most all of my other guns. I got the chance to look through a Nightforce and the clarity of the optics was unbelievable. Granted you pay for them but WOW. Pretty much sold on the Nightforce for this particular build.

Thanks

Robert

Has anyone had any experience with the Horus Vision scopes? I've looked at the Scmidt & Benders with the Horus aiming system and it's really cool. Saves alot of time on dialing and from their website they seem competitively priced depending on what you want.

Jump over to the thread I have on "bolt rifle questions" and you'll read some good info on glass. I have CS Gunworks nearby and Mike Cecil over there has been really helpful in getting lined out on scopes. The Nikon Monarch X line is TOUGH to beat on glass quality, especially for the price.

Rich

• 2 months later...

So I have had my Nightforce 5.5-22 for a couple of weeks now. To sum it up WOW. I love this scope. Clarity is out of this world.

Thanks to everyone that told me to go with the good stuff. :cheers:

Robert

Robert,

Excellent choice. On my "budget build" rifle, I put a CS Gunworks Custom Shop Leupold LR/T Mk4 4.5-14x40mm! The 40mm objective lens allows for low rings. This is a great scope, and will do me well in learning to play this game. I will say though that after playing with the NF 3.5-15x and the 5.5-22x as well as taking a gander at a couple of their FFP scopes, I'm going NF on my next scope.

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

What! You didn't go with a Super Sniper, the older ones by Tasco of course, and threw your money on NightForce? Just kiddin' the Super Sniper lovers. I'm a big believer in you get what you pay for. I have two Leupolds on rifles and think they are the best. I can't afford S&B, USO or NightForce but have heard they are the best optics available.

Have read quite a bit on the Sightron SIII SS 6-24x50MD, their new model. Anyone have any experience with it. Have read they are damn good for the price.

Don't have that specific model, but I do have the 3.5-10x44 SIII. The optics are fantastic. I have a Leupold Mark 4 scope thats optics are not as nice as the Sightron. In fact, I'm selling the Leupy to get a couple more Sightrons.

• 1 month later...

Who makes Sightron? I've thought it might be Trijicon. I've got an ACOG on a RRA 5.56 set-up for prairie dogs and it's a good scope and I'm sure tougher than nails but the glass is blury around the edges. I thought I read where because of the way they're made this is an unavoidable problem but for nearly $800 I was kinda disappointed. If anyone knows more about ACOGS I would love to read what you know.

• 4 weeks later...
Have read quite a bit on the Sightron SIII SS 6-24x50MD, their new model. Anyone have any experience with it. Have read they are damn good for the price.

Don't have that specific model, but I do have the 3.5-10x44 SIII. The optics are fantastic. I have a Leupold Mark 4 scope thats optics are not as nice as the Sightron. In fact, I'm selling the Leupy to get a couple more Sightrons.

Well, ironically I found a 3.5-10x44 SIII NIB for sale on sniper's Hide and picked it up for $525. I shot it on an AR last week, and damn. I have lots of Leupolds and they don't have anything on this scope's glass. For the price, I just can't see how one could go wrong with it. I just did a basic sight-in with 55gr factory WWB, but every adjustment at 100 yards on the turrets reflected exactly on the paper. I then shot a .25" group with Winchester Supreme 50gr NBT factory ammo. Took it out to the 600 yd range and put a couple of dozen on an IPSC target at 300 and 400 with it with more WWB stuff.

It's isn't an S&B, but damned if I can see a reason for the extra $ after shooting one of these. I can see another one for the 300 WM in the future.

• 2 months later...
plus 1 on Nightforce....can never go back to my Leopolds...now own 3...

I have 1 nightforce(5.5-22X50 MLR) and 1 sightron(3.5-10X44). I love both. The nightforce was $800 more expensive but you get matching reticle and knobs. They are both high quality scopes. The sightron is great glass for the money and has reputation for tracking well but they currently do not offer matching mil/mil or moa/moa reticle/knob.

I have more Leupolds than I care to count, and for many years I would not even consider putting anything else on any of my rifles. No longer. Leupold builds a great scope, but others like Bushnell have caught up to, and IMHO exceeded Leupold in both quality and clarity. This is one of 2 Bushnell 3200 Elite Tactical 5-15X 40 MM scopes I have mounted on 2, Savage .308's. One is a Model 12-F/TR, and the other is a Model 10-FP. This glass is incredible for the money, (low $300.00 range). So much so I'm seriously considering a third for my new Savage 110 FCP-K in .300 Win. Mag. I purchased last month. These scopes are as clear and bright as any Leupold I own, and focus crisp and clear as a bell. Both hold zero and repeat every bit as good as any Leupold. Bill T.

savage12ftr003kp9.jpg

005ze5.jpg

• 1 month later...

I started out shooting long range tactical matches with the Leupold M3 then I moved to the Mk 4 series.

Now I use Niteforce NXS you can not go wrong with a Niteforce they are awesome !

I have been where you are at buy quality once and you will be ahead of the game !

Don't laugh at the Super Sniper scopes for the price. I bought one to use on a Field Taget air riflle. It is a vey bright scope with side focus, holds zero and good at ranging field target distances. Buy one and shoot your rifle with it while you save for the Nightforce. You will be able to get your money out of the SS when you are finished with it.