Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My wife has started shooting

dcbfluff

My wife just shot her first club match this weekend, and had a great time! After a particularly scary gun experience when she was a child, she hadn’t touched a gun since. I keep guns in the house (I’ve been shooting for about 18 months) and several months ago she showed an interest in “becoming familiar” with firearms (no pressure from me, but she saw that I was having fun). A good friend/shooting buddy offered to teach her the basics, and she was hooked. After a few structured sessions with him, and some practices with me, she finally felt she was ready for a match (about three months after she fired her first shot). Although she was as nervous as I’ve ever seen her, she shot the first stage smoothly and safely, but when the crowd gave her cheers and applause at UASC, she almost broke the 180 turning to see what everyone was clapping about (the RO saved her). So now I’m loading bullets for two, she is enviously comparing other folk’s hardware to the used whooptee 1st generation Glock 17 I started her on, and apparently (according to one of our club’s other Lady Shooters) there are some “Shooting Fashion” issues that she needs to look into. I couldn’t be happier: big thanks to Pat and my other friends at the Wyoming Antelope Club for helping to get my favorite person involved in my favorite hobby. (BTW: I don’t recommend becoming your spouse’s primary instructor, even if you think you know what you are doing it’s better for them to learn from someone else, or as I heard once “If I start listening to him about shooting, he might think I will listen to him about other things” ).

Dan

TY 60299

Ooooh Pleeeease! Like doubling your toy budget is a bad thing! :roflol: Send her to ladies camp and you'll both have a hobby to love!

+1 for sending her to a ladies camp... I attended my 1st one in Phoenix in October and have reserved my slot for the Louisiana camp for April. I'm enjoying shooting lots more now after having some instruction from other females in the sport!

(BTW: I don’t recommend becoming your spouse’s primary instructor, even if you think you know what you are doing it’s better for them to learn from someone else, or as I heard once “If I start listening to him about shooting, he might think I will listen to him about other things” ).

Dan

TY 60299

That might just be the BEST advice I've ever heard given in this sport... think I'll post it on my fridge for my hubby! :roflol:

Very excited that your wife has now joined 'the club'! I hope she enjoys herself as much as I have over these past several months...

Susan

Congradulations! :cheers:

It is a wonderful time to share together. Also, remember that when little ones come along, it is best to trade shooting weekends. We worked the deal of you shoot match A and I'll shoot match B and we alternate watching JR B). Of course being match directors and lead RO's for CAS makes it interesting :D .

It is great sharing these hobbies especially when you travel to an out of the area shoot.

Congats to your wife on her first match and to you for gaining a shooting buddy. My wife shoots and I think she's the best!

I am the mechanic, cleaner and ammo-loader. I am NOT the instructor.

You both have great times ahead of you. Shooters are a great group and will get alot of support.

NOW GO CLEAN HER GUN!!!!!!

Dan C

First I had to build her an open gun; now I'm buying brass, bullets and powder; next I'll be loading all her ammo too. :wacko:

At least she doesn't complain when I bring home a new gun. B)

Hey! Not entirely true!!! lol

dcbfluff....That's pretty awesome. You two will have a great time shooting together. :)

USPSA as a great family activity. I started competing in local USPSA by myself when my sons were very young. As they got older the family interests turned to karate, baseball, golf, wrestling, hunting, motorcycles, etc. We spent many hours and many weekends going to the boys events as a family. In the last two years my crew has decided USPSA is pretty cool, so now the wife and two youngest sons are competing. I coaxed the Mrs. into signing up for Kay's ladies camp and it really kept her interst high. She brought home pointers for us all. She liked shooting, but the instruction from the camp added some skill and got her to practice more. She just got a 1911 in 38 Super and will be stepping out of production into single stack division next spring. I have help create a monster.

I hope you guys have as much fun shooting together as we do. It sure beats the heck out of golf!!!

Now I have to go clean her guns

Edited by MisterB