Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tell me About the Revolver-Shooting Fraternity

JPT

This is a serious question. I have read posts in which wheelgun shooters imply that revolver shooters are a different breed. Having just picked up my first revolver, I wonder what I'm getting into. How would you characterize the revolver-shooting community in the practical shooting sports, and how does is differ from the bottom-feeder USPSA/IDPA types?

Super cool everyone. Thanks for all the replies. I don't think I have ICORE near me here in Madison, WI. But there's plenty of USPSA and IDPA. I look forward to trying my hand at this.

John

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still waiting to scrounge up some folks to lend me (eta- some MORE) speedloaders for my 642. I can't justify buying enough to shoot a whole match with Mr. Snubby, but if I got some LOANERS, plus what I own.....

I would definitely do a USPSA match with it, just to see how I did....

...and because it would surprise some people that I actually DO practice with the snubby....

...and because that's the type of division we're in :)

Edited by Mooney

This is a serious question. I have read posts in which wheelgun shooters imply that revolver shooters are a different breed. Having just picked up my first revolver, I wonder what I'm getting into. How would you characterize the revolver-shooting community in the practical shooting sports, and how does is differ from the bottom-feeder USPSA/IDPA types?

Super cool everyone. Thanks for all the replies. I don't think I have ICORE near me here in Madison, WI. But there's plenty of USPSA and IDPA. I look forward to trying my hand at this.

John

I do try and shoot the monthly matchs over at the Holmen Rod and Gun club just north of LaCrosse. This spring there were 2 other revo shooters at a match! :surprise: They are a good bunch at that range, I've been shooting over there for about 7yrs now, so drive on up. www.wisconsinshooters.com you can find info at that link.

Jon

In response to JPT's mention of a lack of ICORE activity in the Madison area- too true, as it is down here in the Windy City area.

Apart from the wonderful ICORE Central States Revolver Championship held every year at the even more wonderful Bend of the River Conservation Club in Niles, Michigan, it's every bit as thin around here.

My solution is sort of simple- I divide my shooting generally into IDPA and PPC, the revolver matches, and USPSA for going back to the 1911. Not always, but IDPA is usually more sixgun friendly, even if it often doesn't mean to be. At least you know you're only making a maximum of two reloads a stage if you get your hits.

It's also true that the designer is everything, in terms of driving sixguns into the silly zone. Eight-round setups so beloved by single-stack-oriented shooters get a revolver into a bad state of aarrrgh.

I've even managed to bend a CDP guy or two a little towards the six-and-go design, but the biggest victory I had was getting one of our occasional IDPA MDs to first, do a six-neutral match or two, and then he finally showed up with a Smith 586 instead of his normal, and winning, G17.

Mainly, my advice is to not worry about it and just shoot. Yeah, sometimes I get tightened up a turn or two about being so far behind so many other shooters- if I break into the 35th percentile overall, it's cause for days of joy- but most of the time, you should just go out and do it. It's its own reward.

And one more thought: the fraternity thing is fine as far as it goes, but I'd sure rather it be a bit more sorority, because, heaven help us, revolver shooters will never be known for being fun to look at.

Any denials?

PS: I, too, have managed to range out to Holmen and take in a couple of their terrific 3-gun matches. But since it's too far for me to go in a car, 300 miles, I have to go on the motorcycle. Since I can't figure out how to fold my Enfield No.4 into a small enough package to get it into the bike's trunk, it's black rifle and 1911 for that one, and the Limeys stay home.

And no, I don't ride my BSA Royal Star twin to get there, anymore, either.

Blueridge have you tried .45 Schoefields? I used .44 Russian in my M29 for several years and I still like it.

I have not considered shooting .45 Schoefield with my Ruger Alaskan. I am not sure, having not looking at the reloading charts, to see if I could make major with that size case. I'll look at it when I return home and get the chance to puruse that information. Thanks for the idea. ;)

Any denials?

How dare you! I'm known throughout the tri-state area as a beautiful hunk of man!

You must have never partaken in the grand view of me shooting my German blue 870 and my FAL like a house a'fire. Yes, I denie that remark from the the bottom of my manhood! :surprise:

You can easily exceed 165 PF with the .45 Schofield. In fact, you should be able to get to 250 PF if you really want. You can have your Alaskan moonclipped, but the people at Ruger would scream bloody murder if you ever returned such a gun for service. All hard use Redhawks can be expected to develop serious ignition problems which are very difficult to diagnose and treat properly, so sadly I don't shoot my custom Redhawk as much as I did or would like. I used to compete with my .45 Colt Redhawk at 240 PF and that's when I was at my best as a revolver shooter, classifier scores be damned.

I now treat USPSA Revolver as what IDPA tried to be but is not. USPSA is certainly the most challenging shooting game and I really enjoy doing it with my street gear. There was a time I would really hate being the only revolver shooter at a match and because of this I shot an auto for a while, but now I'm back to the revolver and I don't care if I'm the only revolver shooter at a match.

Dave Sinko

You can easily exceed 165 PF with the .45 Schofield. In fact, you should be able to get to 250 PF if you really want. You can have your Alaskan moonclipped, but the people at Ruger would scream bloody murder if you ever returned such a gun for service. All hard use Redhawks can be expected to develop serious ignition problems which are very difficult to diagnose and treat properly, so sadly I don't shoot my custom Redhawk as much as I did or would like. I used to compete with my .45 Colt Redhawk at 240 PF and that's when I was at my best as a revolver shooter, classifier scores be damned.

I now treat USPSA Revolver as what IDPA tried to be but is not. USPSA is certainly the most challenging shooting game and I really enjoy doing it with my street gear. There was a time I would really hate being the only revolver shooter at a match and because of this I shot an auto for a while, but now I'm back to the revolver and I don't care if I'm the only revolver shooter at a match.

Dave Sinko

Looking at the Hodgdon Reloading Guide it appears that .45 Schofield might be worth looking into. In my estimation the max load would make 171-184PF using Titegroup and 250gr LRNFP bullets. The guide shows a 5" barrel used to make the load data for .45 Schofield and I would lose between 75-125fps due to my 2 1/2" barrel of my Alaskan. It would require 0.5 grains less powder to reach the same power factor that I meet now. I see another set of reloading dies and .45 Schofield brass in my future. ;)

The recoil that I have with the 185PF .45 Colt loads that I have used in the past don't bother me shooting wise, but the heating of the cylinder got to be bothersome on medium and long courses. I am experimenting with different types of gloves to deal with the problem.

Thanks for the idea and info Dave.

Edited by Blueridge

The heat problem is a problem associated with using Titegroup. I used it for the longest time in my .38 Special loads because it's the perfect burn rate for the cartridge, but stopped using it the day I about gave myself first degree burns doing multiple Bill Drills - I do the switch-hand reload, and my left hand cradles the cylinder while I insert the cartridges. I've still got about 1500 rounds of that load left, but when it's gone, it'll be Solo 1000 for the lead bullet loads and an as-yet-to-be-determined one for plated RNs. Solo 1000 might be the ticket for your .45 Colt lead bullet loads too, but I've never tried it in that caliber.

You can get Moonclips for anything, if you got the $$$!

You can get about anything cut for moonclips also.

Things to consider:

Ruger issues talked of earlier and Rugers policy of returning your gun in FACTORY Condition, may make moonclipping a bad idea.

$$$$ again.

If you use speedloaders, figure HK at least would make some, you'd need an OAL long enough to extend well into the cylinder. The M29 with .44 Russians works great moonclipped, but are too short for a speedloader. .44 Specials worked good with speedloaders though.

I always liked the .45 colt and thought of having a M28 worked into one, once.

But then I usually have more money than sense, and I'm pretty much broke :surprise: !

Either way it's all about having fun with our toys.

This is probably pretty severe thread drift, but I'm fraternal, I hear.

revchuck- the answer is Vihta Vuori N320. For the Berry's 158s, around 4.7gr easily clears minor power for me. Book max is 4.8, for Rainiers, so it's not scary. I imagine a couple of tenths less would do it, but since I got cooked at the Wisconsin state match in '06 (by 25fps), I tend to make sure I'm over.

As I recall, my four-inch Python ships out the Berry's at about 840fps with 4.7gr. I think it even makes the floor with the two-inch Detective Special.

The gun stays exceptionally cool and clean with this one. It's a marked difference, especially in cleanliness.

I have a mostly-full canister of Titegroup that probably will end up as lawn fertilizer. Hot, it is.

WLKTHEDUK, you're so right.

2x the time shooting the same CoF is "more bang for the buck". And beating that small group of "guys with slides" feels 2x as good.

Here's a fun suggestion, though. Take that digicam with you and record yourself shooting your wheelgun and someone else shooting Open or Limited and then watch both at home. Watching yourself will be ATROCIOUS. Educational, but atrocious...

WLKTHEDUK, you're so right.

2x the time shooting the same CoF is "more bang for the buck". And beating that small group of "guys with slides" feels 2x as good.

Here's a fun suggestion, though. Take that digicam with you and record yourself shooting your wheelgun and someone else shooting Open or Limited and then watch both at home. Watching yourself will be ATROCIOUS. Educational, but atrocious...

I'll admit, my response to WLKTHEDUK is a few days late.

I can't justify buying enough to shoot a whole match with Mr. Snubby, but if I got some LOANERS, plus what I own.....

I would definitely do a USPSA match with it, just to see how I did....

:)

I want to shoot a match with one of my single actions.... just to make everyone wait all damn day. :devil: