Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What to do? Who to do it?

steveyacht

I have an S&W Model 625-6 with a five inch barrel. What can be done to slick up the double action trigger? The single action trigger pull is set at a very, very crisp 3.5 pounds, right where the rest of my comp guns are set. I have the moon clips and a nice Safariland 002 speed holster so all I really need to get started is a few moon clip holders and a decent belt.

Thanks in advance!!

Steve

Hi Steve,

My first suggestion would be to purchase Jerry Miculek's video on how to do a trigger job. If you do the work yourself, you get the added benefit of having a better understanding of what the hell is going on under the sideplate.

Mr. Carmoney on this forum is also a great source for information on things like removing weight from your hammer, and bending springs.

Take Care,

DM

Even without the general smoothing of parts (which you should only do with the aforementioned DVD or a good guide) there's a few pounds that can be taken off without compromising reliability. Spring bending and strain screw backing can accomplish this, do a search on bending and you'll see a mess of information.

H.

After he's done with the hammer, you can just pour it in the top!

You can probably just tell him what primers (Federal) you're using (Federal), and whether you want the hammer with spur,

without spur, or "Carmonized". Mike will know what to do from there.

OK, I guess you (collectively) think I should send this to Carmoney. What do you suggest he do to "Tune 'er up"?

Remove side plate, pour in scotch.

Ask him to use good scotch and not a blend, though.

How about some 24 Year Old Glenliviet? One of my favorites

Steve, if you want to get your 625 set up for competition use, drop me a PM or email me at carmoney4@aol.com and we can talk over the options. Or if you decide to work on the gun yourself, I'll be happy to lend you my copy of Jerry's DVD--it's an excellent starting point for learning basic revolver action work. Either way, the DA trigger pull on the typical stock S&W revolver is awfully heavy and can be tremendously improved with a little judicious effort.

You mentioned you need moonclip holders--here's what most of the serious revo guys are using these days: http://www.twotandogs.com/