Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Did you know there has never been a Lady GM?

JasonK

If I supported her shooting 100%

IMHO, this, coupled with her desire, will take her as far as she wants to go. Not necessarily the material aspect of "support" but emotional support is a MUST for any form of success in life.

Coming from someone who hasn't been involved in this sport very long, I agree 99% with the other women's responses. However, I do not agree with the "upper body strength and foot speed" mentality. I don't think the strength or speed needed for our sport is that dramatic between sexes. (I always envision an early teenaged KC Eusebio). The first time I met Julie Golob (Goloski) in person, I asked her why she felt there were no female GMs (we were eating dinner at Applebees in Georgia). She told me almost exactly what she eloquently posted here. I've never adopted the concept (but luv ya, Julie! :D )

Rebecca, there is no physiologic rationale that you must be weaker or slower than Todd. You have it in you.

Testosterone providing that GM ability... maybe. Testoterone quite possibly has the effects on the brain that are necessary. This is why I've adopted the "mind set" theory. I think it's in the way our brains function that separates us. Many other posters have alluded to this aspect. Men simply think and respond differently than women.

Currently, I am contemplating the belief that emotional support is very important for female shooters to succeed... whether it be from a father, father figure, boyfriend, husband, or even mother, friend that's a girl, etc. I'm curious if there have been any female shooters that have been successful without this support.

I don't have the answer to the question, nor does anyone else. This is my opinion... just like the rest of the participants in this topic.

And, on a side note... Athena, I hope no words here have diminished the wind in your sails. You performed OUTSTANDING at World Shoot and deserve nothing but respect and full credit. You've worked very hard to get where you are and I admire that. GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edited for grammar

Edited by Sharyn

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The last think I want to do is make this a divisive issue.

The top men beat everyone, the top women beat most everyone else.

I'm just a below average shooter so I know that I won't win anything when I compete, so I compete against myself, trying to do the best I can within my limitations.

For the top shooters they have the added pressure to win. For the top men they can see their competition, they all shoot in the same squad. For the top women they do not have that luxury. Their scores are based on the men but they have no idea how the men shot the stage, what their times or hits were especially if they are shooting at the same time of day.

Split the top womens/mens slots in half and have two mixed super squads and scores/results could change, I think someone else alluded to that before.

I'm amazed/proud/astonished (and slightly depressed) about how good they all are.

• 3 weeks later...

I think it would be accurate to say there will be a female GM. All the so called obstacles noted so far can be overcome and will be. A couple more threads like this and it will happen sooner. Determination is a powerful force.

I dunno about you all but unless someone beats her to it (which I find highly likely) this will be your first lady GM :wub:

I'll be getting her started with an airsoft around 6-7 years old and move her up to a full open gun around 14-15 :D

So when 2020 rolls around look out!

post-15071-1227786722_thumb.jpg

I really don't see a need to care if there are any Lady GM's. It is great having lady's being able to compete side by side with their husbands and or significant others at the local level and Major match level!! Do I think it is fair to the lady's to not have a separate Division? No!!!!! Our sport is special compared to other sports where you can compete like fire at major matches along side all types of people - who cares if they are GM, A C or whatever! We all know the lady's can shoot!!!! This sport would not be the same without them!! - so lets see if we can encourage them and not speak of negative things huh?

Edited by KGentry

Time to get rid of the entire class system perhaps?? :)

Seems to work for the World Shoot. They got 1200 shooters and have yet to publish or recognize class winners at all ;)

AAAAAAMEN! No classifications seem to work for that little match in So Cal that's been going on for a while. Steel Challenge I think it's called.

Anyways...back on topic. There's no reason a female can't be a GM. Sharon's nailed it on the head. Without emotional support, results can come, but I think with it they come more quickly with higher quality and a little fun (which doesn't either). ;)

Rich