Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrels

Rolex

but is there that many more A's for the $$$ ? :wacko:

The best A to $$ ratio comes with the stock barrel. Unless you are shooting lead or building an Open gun, there is little need for an aftermarket barrel.

FWIW if you use the search function you will find TONS of additional information on the topic ;)

I am completely satisfied with my Lone Wolf barrel in my Glock 34. I also have another G34 with a stock barrel. I shoot lead (both commercially cast and bullets that I cast) in both guns and can not tell the difference between the two guns. I have had no leading problems in my stock barrel, so I just haven't bought an after market barrel for my second G34.

Also just so you all know I am not trying to talk bad about the Lone Wolf I am just pointing out the fact that there is probably a quality difference somewhere along the line between the two brands. I have limited experience with Lone Wolf and KKM barrels but if I were to choose one for my own gun again I would go with the KKM in a heart beat. (My G35 has a KKM)

there is probably a quality difference somewhere along the line between the two brands.

If there is I would like to hear what it is (better steel, better tolerances, what?). Having read all the past threads on the subject, it seems most everyone is happy with their Lone Wolf barrels. I am with mine. I don't recall anyone saying why a KKM barrel would be better, just a lot of people saying they like them too. For twice the asking price I want to know what the quality difference is.

Not saying that I know what it is but it may show its self after some tens of thousands of rounds, maybe not. Just giving my recommendation and opinion on the matter. But if I were to venture a guess it would probably be materials and tolerances as you had mentioned. Possibly better chamber dimensions on the KKM. Possibly the way the barrel is rifled? Cut vs. button or something like that as well. Again as I said there is nothing wrong with the lone wolfs just stating that for a $100 price premium there is probably a quality difference somewhere. You are paying for the name too. There is no doubt about that. But I doubt that its to the extent that it would cost near double.

Edited by mjohns930

I was shooting with a friend today and he shows me the new LWD barrel he got for his G21 so he can shoot cast bullets. He was getting a lot of light primer hits with it. Put the stock barrel back in, no problems. Not sure of the chamber was cut too deep or what.

The KKM in my 34, the Storm Lake in my 17 and the LWD in my 21 all work fine. Maybe I'm just lucky.

There is no difference in quality. KKM just dips into your wallet more. I have a couple of LWD barrels that group better than I can shoot. Folks get hung up on trying for extreme accuracy. Have you taken a look at the size of the target we shoot? Please, no one is asking you to make head shots at 50 yds.

There is no difference in quality. KKM just dips into your wallet more. I have a couple of LWD barrels that group better than I can shoot. Folks get hung up on trying for extreme accuracy. Have you taken a look at the size of the target we shoot? Please, no one is asking you to make head shots at 50 yds.

Well Joe D I take your word for it so I stand corrected. Thanks for clarifying. Once again i was NOT trying to say they are no good just giving my preference and opinion. :cheers:

Thanks for the input Joe. I've been on the fence, and I think you convinced me to save the cash and get a lone wolf. My stock barrel is way more accurate than I am, but I'm shooting enough to make it worth the switch to lead.

I do not like Glock's 40 barrel, too little case head support. I went w/a KKM barrel. The 9mm barrel is another story, the chamber is tight and case head support is adequate.

If shooting 9mm open major, use a KKM or other quality aftermarket barrel.

I reload and don't want to risk a KB w/a 40.

I've got four Glocks in .40 with stock barrels and every time someone claims this, I pull one of the guns apart and show them that there's almost every last bit of cartridge supported...as much as any other supported barrel out there, as much as in the 9mm versions give or take a micrometer reading and it would be hard to have any more supported without having a radical ramp angle.

Yes, the mouth of the chamber is bigger at that part, which allows the case to get the guppy belly, but it's still supported.

Edit to add: I am not, in any way, a "Glock guy"....they point high for me and beat the heck out of my fingers and the web of my hand enough to cause discomfort, calluses and bleeding with any extended shooting.

Edited by G-ManBart

I've owned both in .40. My KKM is a drop-in and it's accurate, good case support, no problems. The LWD I had in another gun was accurate, but chamber was really tight. I had a few jams until I started using the barrel as a gauge (which is probably good practice anyway.) Whether the benefit is real or psychological, I felt better using one of them in .40 since I have no idea how many times my brass has been reloaded. :unsure:

I have a Jarvis in my G35 and a LWD in my G21. Both shoot better than I can. I think the LWD barrels are a good value. The G21 chamber is tighter than a stock Glock chamber. I case gage anything I shoot in a match so it's not an issue.