Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone using piston uppers in 3 gun?

abn-rgr

Well, as for choking I have seen muzzle loaders choke, and they don't need oil either :roflol:

Daewoos are too darn high for a piston gun, Armalites remake of the AR-18 is a piston gun and can be found for around $550.

Now I will admit I DO have several "piston guns" but the piston assembly is under the barrel :D

So let,s recap, LW piston rifle around $2000. This is a stock type rifle meaning no go-fast parts such as comps buffers, mag wells etc. DPMS stock M-4gery $750, case of ammo $400, bottle of Mobile 1 $ 6.50 Cleaning equipment comes with the rifle, so you just need solvent at let,s say 15.00/pint. J.P trigger $150, Comp $100, Free Float tube, $150, cool Eo-Tech $350, $450 left for more ammo or beer. HMMM??? Like I said I am neither for or against, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get one. KurtM

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will test one and see if I like it. I really like my JP and hate to give up the accuracy, but the reliability might be worth it.

You certainly do not need to give up a JP to compete with a piston gun.

My JP is absolutely reliable as long as I do my part and clean it. I was just asking because of the sponsorship possibility. I really hate to give up the JP, but not sure if the piston conversion will work with it.

• 6 months later...

I used a POF piston driven rifle for the last three years and it served me well. Had to do some minor tweaking to get the tracking and recoil right, but in the end it shot as well as any DI rifle.

I've switched to another piston system this year and so far it has exceeded my expectations.

Erik

Care to elaborate on the "minor tweaking"? My POF is great, but I would like to tame in down a bit. Tried lots of different comps, but it needs something more. Maybe a lightened buffer or bolt carrier?

• 5 years later...

Sorry to revive a REALLY old thread, but here's my question: I saw a video of John Paul of JP at a trade show discussing how they were offering a piston conversion (using an Adams Arms kit) as an upgrade. JP makes no reference to this on their site, so I am guessing they no longer do this. Has anyone seen or shot a JP converted upper? Did it fit under the standard JP free float hand guard with the thermal dissipator? I would bet the thermal dissipator would have to be hacked. I am interested in this conversion on my PSC11, even if I have to do it myself, purely for maintenance/cleaning reasons.

I forgot to mention KN3 (Kelly Neal), I saw him hit 6 targets with one round and is usually 1/4 second faster than Erik or Benny!

hey don't leave me out . . I one hit a target with one out of 6 rounds. . . . . wait . . . . :huh::huh: is that the same ????

I have been shooting an AA piston upper that I won at the Ozark match 3-4 years ago ? ?