Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

5.56mm factory Ammo

Jack Suber

Need some info/feedback on the quality of factory 5.56mm ammo:

PMC Bronze 55 Grn FMJ/$335.00 per 1000

American Eagle 55 Grn FMJ/ $370.00 per 1000

What do you think of the prices? I have been using Winchester WhiteBox 55 grn and can get those at $425/1000.

Also, anyone ever played with Winchester 7.62 Nato 147 grain FMJ Headstamp WCC 08- W/ Nato Cross? I can get these for $120 per 200. Thanks.

Jack, I shot up 2K of the Fed AM Eagle stuff at a Rifle instructor class 2 yrs ago, it all went bang and into a nice under 2in group at 100. I also got my hits out to 600 on the Nat Guard Mogul course as well, so I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

I know nothing except I bought some a Case of PMC 55s when I bought my First AR over 10 yrs ago and It all went bang and shot pretty well to.....

If you can, buy a couple hundred rounds and test them.....

Good luck,

<insert muttering under my breath icon looking at all the .223 brass I need to process so I can save some money reloading this stuff....... :wacko: >

:roflol:

DougC

I have not shot either of these. I don't want to hijack this thread, but if others are responding, I hope you could me out as well. I am new to 3 gun and I'm wondering which type of factory ammo you prefer (I simply don't have any time to reload-busy career, two kids-one is a newborn).

I've purchased some blue and red box black hills 69 gr and 77 gr and my JP CTR-02 18" barrel shoots those well. So here are my questions.

1. Do most of you go with a 55 gr. bullet for less recoil impulse or does it not make that much difference?

2. Do you use a heavier bullet when there is more wind on courses that have targets at longer ranges, or is the difference minimal?

3. If you were going to pick one or two type of factory ammo for 3 gun, what would be your preference? I like the black hills 69 and 77gr, but I have not been able to find any of the 55 gr.

Shot 1000's of both and are good to go. In my rifles PMC has been more accurate. UMMV.

The Federal brass is less desirable for reloading unless you get lucky and you get Lake City brass, they are known to use both, I never got LC in any I ordered.

If those are shipped prices it as about as good as it gets right now. :(

I've been shooting Federal AE for years and it's worked fine for me. I'm now shooting Remington UMC because it was on sale. Black Hills red box 77gn is actually my ammo of choice but it is way too expensive now. I need to start reloading my own stuff.

The prices you quote are great! Where is that? Does it include shipping?

I've shot a few thousand rounds of the AE. In my opinion it's the best factory blasting ammo around. My rifles will shoot 1 - 1.5 inch 100 yd. groups with it. It's about as near to military 55gr ammo as you can get. I've heard good things about the PMC too, but have no personal experience.

The prices you quote are great! Where is that? Does it include shipping?

I've shot a few thousand rounds of the AE. In my opinion it's the best factory blasting ammo around. My rifles will shoot 1 - 1.5 inch 100 yd. groups with it. It's about as near to military 55gr ammo as you can get. I've heard good things about the PMC too, but have no personal experience.

Here's the link:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/

They are just outside of Columbia, SC. $5 or $7 shipping. I am driving over there this afternoon to pick some ammo up..

The ammo (XM193) is really reliable and accurate. That's a good price. Some friends just jumped on a deal like that. I don't need 223 at this time, but if I did, I would have gotten that stuff at that price.

I've shot both and both seem about equal as far as accuracy and velocity. Maybe not quite as hot as actual 5.56 nato headstamp m193 but gets the job done. All the AE I have shot was Lake City brass. Both have the mil-crimp primer pockets, which I didn't realize until I bent the de-capping pin on my dillon dies. Now I just save up the brass and send it in to Top Brass, but last I checked, they had suspended their brass exchange program. Seems like the PMC bronze may have been slightly more accurate in my rifles but they were close enough that I didn't change zero or anything, the PMC bronze just seemed to shoot a little tigher groups. Sabre 1/8 stainless 16" barrel and Rock River (Wilson) 16 " 1/9 heavy barrel.

PMC Bronze works good in my rifle. It chrono'ed about 3030 fps from my 20" upper (Multigun Nationals). As for American Eagle, there is XM193 around labeled "American Eagle Tactical" and marked 5.56 in a black box, but this is different than the AE red box which is marked 223 and has lower velocity than M193. The XM193 is mostly what is floating around now, and some dealers have both.

I have not used Winchester WCC08, but older White Box 7.62 has been ok, just a little pricey for what you get. Note, the bullet might be "bimetal", like many USGI 7.62/30 cal bullets: copper-washed steel jacket.

I've purchased some blue and red box black hills 69 gr and 77 gr and my JP CTR-02 18" barrel shoots those well. So here are my questions.

1. Do most of you go with a 55 gr. bullet for less recoil impulse or does it not make that much difference?

2. Do you use a heavier bullet when there is more wind on courses that have targets at longer ranges, or is the difference minimal?

3. If you were going to pick one or two type of factory ammo for 3 gun, what would be your preference? I like the black hills 69 and 77gr, but I have not been able to find any of the 55 gr.

As I replied to your question on arfcom:

1. Anybodies' 55gr FMJ up close (or to 100-150 yds). Most targets are close, so it is cheaper.

2. Something heavier for far targets, 68-69-75, etc. (currently I have BH 68gr and PPU 75gr match). Although I have had good luck with Black Hills 52gr MHP also.

POI is the same to 100 yards or so (have to check my notes) with my rifle and scope, regardless of bullet weight.

Lee