Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Support Thumb

shooter757

I've seen good competitive shooters maintain their support hand's thumb pressed against the frame. Some shooters even have skateboard tape in that location so that the support hand thumb does not slip off during muzzle flip.

Brian Enos in his book says: "Both thumbs are pointed at the target, but neither touches the gun. Doing so can steer the muzzle"

Which style do you prefer and why?

Well how can you argue with BE? My thumbs are "pointing" towards the target but are not pressed against the gun by any stretch. Just touching but not pressing. I think your fingers and palms do the griping.. unless it's one handed only of course.

Edited by lugnut

As far as the "Should I touch the side of the gun with my thumbs" question, I don't think there's really a right or wrong answer. It's more a matter of what works for you. There are absolutely excellent shooters who use both techniques. When I interviewed Brian Enos and Dave Sevigny for my article on "The Combat Grip", Brian made it very clear he doesn't touch the side of the gun and considers that an important part of his technique. Dave made it very clear he does touch the side of the gun and considers that an important part of his technique. Ain't nobody gonna say either of these guys can't shoot well!

http://www.handgunsmag.com/tactics_trainin...0306/index.html

Anyone else notice this?

No, but then I have never seen your thumbs :rolleyes:

but seriously, I just went and drew my fat gun, single stack and Cz and with all three my support thumb pointed at the target and was above the trigger guard. I am 6'-4' with fairly large hands and there seems to be plenty of room using a high grip with the support wrist cammed forward.

more edit: I also noted that I seem to touch the frame but it seems to be incidental contact.

Later,

Chuck

Edited by ChuckS

I've got slight pressure on the frame forward of the take down lever with my support hand thumb. I tried to break the "habit" after reading BE's book, but never could. I finally gave up after noticing that my shooting wasn't showing an improvement either way, not even "trick of the day" short term improvement.

Duane: That was indeed an informative article. Thanks.

Yer welcome. :)

One thing I notice with the thumbs forward grip is that the tip of my trigger finger contacts my left thumb unless a secure my thumb to the pistol just under the takedown lever. Anyone else notice this?

A lot of people - and I'm not saying you're necessarily one of them, but this might be something to consider - when they approach the "straight thumbs" grip, think (perhaps not illogically) that the really important part of the technique is pointing the thumbs forward. Thus they wind up with a grip where the support hand wrist is basically straight; with the thumbs pointed forward, this means the support hand thumb despresses the slide stop and prevents the action from locking open when empty (or alternately causes premature lockback), or the thumb interferes with the trigger finger.

But actually the heart of the technique, in my opinion anyway, is not the straight thumbs but the rolled-forward wrist. When you do that, not only does the cammed wrist springload your wrist into the "Down" position and greatly decrease muzzle flip, but it gets the support hand thumb (1) above the trigger guard so it doesn't interfere with the trigger finger, (2) when you do this the tip of your thumb will not ride "just under the takedown lever", instead it will contact the frame (assuming you decide to ride the thumb on the frame) in FRONT of the slide stop lever, and you'll find the tab of the slide stop now fits into a little hollow "cup" between the base and distal joints of the thumb so there's no contact between slide stop and thumb.

Try this:

Hold the gun in your master hand, without the support hand on the gun as yet. Take your support hand and consciously roll its wrist as far forward as you can, then, WITHOUT CHANGING THE ANGLE OF THE WRIST TO YOUR ARM, acquire your two-handed grip. Note any differences in how your support hand relates to the gun and its controls with the new grip. Report back here when you've done that.

• 1 month later...

I think it's important to mention that you don't want to put so much pressure against the frame that you end up pushing on the gun, as this could lead to inconsistant returning of the sights. You might find that the grip tape is on the frame, not for purchase or leverage, as this would be very difficult to assert enough pressure to lessen the flip of the gun (unlike, say, a thumb ledge) but rather as a "feel" indicator. In otherwords, if your thumb is on the tape, it is in the correct spot for your grip.

My support thumb is not even close to touching the gun, pretty much hanging out in the breeze up next to the slide but pointed forward. My strong side thumb is hard down on the safety lever. The strong side grip I use is simply the best result I can get shooting strong hand only, I use it for both free style and strong hand only. Less is better in my mind for this case so I just go with what works SHO.

My support thumb does not touch the gun. It points at the target and it seems that where my thumb points thats were the bullet prints. Most often.

Without a gun in your hand, point your tumb quickly at something on the wall and see how close it is. If you point your thumb at something, it is usually right on. Try it with a gun in your hand next time and see what happens.