Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you believe in ghosts?

So I have this game camera set up and I got this strange picture. I have thought about every angle on what could have happened in this picture and I come up with nothing.

In the first image there is a bright white light, but some of the edges are really clean. The strange thing even more so than the bright light is the angle of the camera when the picture is taken. It's pointed up towards the tree tops. The next picture was taken immediately after it well 1 minute later anyway, and the camera is back pointed parallel to the ground as it should be. Notice the date, the time, and the images.

Anybody got any idea what could have happened? I'd be curious as to what everyone else thinks about these 2 pics.

IM000003.jpg

IM000004.jpg

Deer rubbed up against camera, causing it to point up and take a picture of it's ear. White light is camera flash on ear at close range. Deer goes away, camera takes another normal pic. Just a theory. How is the camera mounted?

Edited by jtielke

Flex, I live 1 hour from the Gulf of Mexico near the Florida border... ice? We usually don't see a frost here until January and I haven't seen snow in over 10 years.

The camera is mounted to a tree with a steel cable locking it to the tree. The cable goes through an indent on the camera housing and as you pull the tag end of the cable it tightens.

The time is PM.

The camera is IR (infared), it has no flash.

These pics were taken from the same camera on the same tree.

IM000005.jpg

IM000006.jpg

Edited by kgunz11

Looked up the camera, it does have infrared emitters that would reflect off of something close range like that. Still think that's the ear or other body part of some type of animal rubbing against the tree or investigating the camera.

OK the animal using it for a scratching post or something is a valid thought. The thing that gets me is the cable lock goes around the bottom of the camera. In other words, while it's on a tree only about 10" DBH, the whole tree would have to be bent enough to make it point that far up into the tree tops.

I will take a digital camera out tomorrow and try to get a pic of the camera and it's mounting.

The camera I have is missing wildlife. I can see fresh tracks in the dirt after a rain but nothing on the camera. They are all just about hit and miss. The pics of the the bucks were taken with a $100 camera, the pic in question was taken with a $250 camera. The expensive camera is missing game and I am certain of this. I think that with most all of the cameras out there it is hit and miss. You get a good one or you don't. The $100 camera broke after a week. None of them have a warranty worth a flip. If I had a real need such as a vandalism problem and I wanted to catch someone in the act, I'd buy the Reconyx camera. They seem to be bullet proof and top of the line. Their price tag is reflective of that too!

Nah, I don't believe in ghosts. Not if you mean dead folks coming back to walk around the earth.

But, as an aside, I do believe that engaging in spiritual warfare, to the glory of my Creator, is the highest purpose of my temporal existence.

(If you know what I mean, then you know what I mean. If you don't, then I'm just talking nonsense.)

Anyway, it's a great image you captured on your camera! -Sam

H20

Condensation or rain on the lens that refracted light from above, including a nice sun-burst. Depending how the water sheeted or beaded it will create sharp or blurry edges in the image.

It was more than likely rain, and additional drops added enough mass so it rolled off the lens.

Edited by Jeff686

I think it's Elvis, but it's probably a racoon or squirrel messing with the camera. If it's low enough, deer and pigs with mess with it too. Keep in mind that if an animal lifts the camera from the bottom, the camera interprets the scenery shift as movement and shoots. That looks like a sun blur to me.

I think it's Elvis, but it's probably a racoon or squirrel messing with the camera. If it's low enough, deer and pigs with mess with it too. Keep in mind that if an animal lifts the camera from the bottom, the camera interprets the scenery shift as movement and shoots. That looks like a sun blur to me.

It has a cable around the bottom of the cam wrapped around the tree. No way it could be lifted up like that. I went back out and tried myself, no way it could be done that I can see.

This is the camera on the tree:

CIMG3615Large.jpg

This is my hand over the camera showing its size:

CIMG3616Large.jpg

Here is another one of the cable lock:

CIMG3617Large.jpg