Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ SP01 Shadow

ShaunH

I have a CZ SP01 Shadow and I'm not really happy with it out of the box. Don't like the trigger, rear sight (I have to bury the front fiber in the rear sight and aim to the left to get it to hit accurately at 20 feet), & front fiber is too damn big. I'm curious, for all the experienced SP01 shooters out there, what modifications do you guys suggest, what types of things did you guys do, and who does the best work on SP01's, Shadows, so forth. I saw a post about Matthew Mink doing a trigger job, but when I went to his site it said nothing about trigger work. Thank you in advance.

X

I use a plain black serrated front sight thinned to .100

Angus makes a replacement competition rear sight for the Shadow's cut..have seen others milled for an adjustable sight. also he offer a 1mm FO front sight also.

Matt and Angus do great trigger..best to call them..but not sure of their availability at this time with World's coming up.

The CZ trigger is pretty straightforward to do. I know I and couple of others on the forum can do them.

in your area..might check with Chuck Anderson..see if he knows anyone close..I thought I heard Scott Springer can do CZ triggers.

Edited by eerw

Yep, I believe Angus is gone. I think Eric is still working though. You can probably call the shop and get ahold of him. How much firing have you done with it. The last Shadow that I had the trigger really slicked up after about 1000 rounds. It was very close to the trigger on my custom gun from Angus. As far as the sights, Angus has replacement rear sights for the gun, but it sounds like you need to sight it in a bit. Shove the rear sight over in the notch at least. That should get the windage taken care of. If it is shooting high or low, just figure out how much and let me know, we can get the appropriate height front sight if yours is off. You can get black, or 1.0mm fiber as well. The one that comes with the gun is 1.5mm I believe, although it looks to be about 2 inches.

I have one that was worked over by Matt Mink and the trigger is INCREDIBLE, smooth as glass in DA and very light, the SA is 2# and very crisp. It has the competition rear sight on it and a plain black front. The sight picture is very nice, though I had to knock about .040" off the top of the front sight to get POI to match POA. Compared to stock my gun is just a world better to shoot.

Yep, I believe Angus is gone. I think Eric is still working though. You can probably call the shop and get a hold of him.

eric is in the shop as i type finishing up a pistol i have down there! :D they did a shadow for me and sa might not be as light as 2# but it is just over as far as i can tell with a nice clean break. sometimes a pistol can be accurate shooters right out of the box as mine has been good to me. once in a while you do get lucky! :cheers:

send it to eric or matt and you won't be sorry.

FPB removed but standard hammer on the Shadow.

Shadow actually has no FPB

Chuck..are you still shooting a CZ...which one are you going with these days.?

Stu,

I am still on the Dark Side and will stay as such until Area 2. After that I will probably focus on SS until after the WSSSC in January. I was just playing with the -01 and I still really like it. I did pick up that plain old 75B which is still pretty much stock except for a major polish job of all the action parts, shortening the stock hammer hooks a bit and lessening the sear angle a bit. I left in a bit of positive engagement so the SA trigger is about 3.75#. This gun still has the FPB (IDPA, you know) so there is about 3# of spring stuff between the FBP and the TRS. It is nice and smooth and feels really good (until I pick-up the SP-01!). The B is just supposed to be a nightstand/IDPA gun so it is probably as far as I take it . I am probably going to buy a set of competition sights for it but I may go to night sights also.

Later,

Chuck

I've got the LPA TTF fiber optic sights on my SP-01. They are tall, and not really aesthically pleasing, but only a blind person would have trouble seeing them! I've got a 12lb recoil spring and a 15lb hammer spring with @1.5 coils clipped off with a little work to the stock hammer hooks and have installed the 85 Combat trigger. I'm running 147s through it and most of the time shoot limited minor at the local club. Makes me happy when I can beat the guys shooting S_Is...with my production gear.

My tour of the CZ factory page...

http://www.rustyhubbard.com/tour.html

Not sure which Chuck you were going for so I'll answer as well. I'm still running the same SP-01 from Angus that I have for the last couple years. I was going to start using my converted 75SA at the NW Regional Steel shoot but I was getting nast malfunctions that took a really long time to clear. It's been sitting in the safe since then waiting on parts from Angus. I'm gonna play with a couple different platforms and divisions over the winter. I might re-evaluate come spring.

Stu,

I am still on the Dark Side and will stay as such until Area 2. After that I will probably focus on SS until after the WSSSC in January. I was just playing with the -01 and I still really like it. I did pick up that plain old 75B which is still pretty much stock except for a major polish job of all the action parts, shortening the stock hammer hooks a bit and lessening the sear angle a bit. I left in a bit of positive engagement so the SA trigger is about 3.75#. This gun still has the FPB (IDPA, you know) so there is about 3# of spring stuff between the FBP and the TRS. It is nice and smooth and feels really good (until I pick-up the SP-01!). The B is just supposed to be a nightstand/IDPA gun so it is probably as far as I take it . I am probably going to buy a set of competition sights for it but I may go to night sights also.

Later,

Chuck

cool..doesn't look like I'm going to make the WSSS match.. : (

Not sure which Chuck you were going for so I'll answer as well. I'm still running the same SP-01 from Angus that I have for the last couple years. I was going to start using my converted 75SA at the NW Regional Steel shoot but I was getting nast malfunctions that took a really long time to clear. It's been sitting in the safe since then waiting on parts from Angus. I'm gonna play with a couple different platforms and divisions over the winter. I might re-evaluate come spring.

always like talking with both Chucks..

what kind of malfs??? interested in what you come up with come springtime..

I went back to a lighter 75B SA converted to DA..

I went with a plain back front sight..I see it as fast and can shoot it more accurately

I left my FPB in..but its shines..

I am using a 13# spring cut 1.5 coils and thinned..FP spring is cut 2 coils..and with a comp hammer..my DA is running 5.5# and SA is 2#

when I shot an SP01..the FPB was removed..same mods otherwise..

I went with a plain back front sight..I see it as fast and can shoot it more accurately

I am using a 13# spring cut 1.5 coils and thinned..FP spring is cut 2 coils..and with a comp hammer..my DA is running 5.5# and SA is 2#

I may try this same thing next as a lighter pistol than the SP-01 or Shadow would be easier to draw and transition between targets.

The modified SA was where I started with Angus a few years ago. It was still a point of debate if a modified SA would be production legal but I guess that has been ruled on. Shortly after that discussion Cz revealed plans to get the SP-01 on the Ca list prior to the addition of the crap that they now require and they made it by the skin of their front strap. I am prety sure I had the first SP-01 in Ca. That SA does look like a nice solution.

Later,

Chuck

always like talking with both Chucks..

what kind of malfs??? interested in what you come up with come springtime..

With the SA I'm getting stovepipes. The brass won't quite eject all the way. When I clear it there is already a round in the chamber and of course the CZ extractor design won't go over an alreay chambered round, or at least mine won't. At that point I have to break out the knife to clear the gun. I was getting one or two per mag.

that ain't good..

have you recut the ejector angle...have found that is the culprit in about 5% of the problems CZs have.. had one of SP01s do this..and after recutting the ejector..no issues at all.

assuming you have gone to lighter recoil springs, polished the rail, beveled the breechface, etc.

FWIW, the hammer on my Shadow looks like a regular hammer but has much less engagement than a a regular hammer. It's not quite equivalent a competition hammer but the SA is pretty decent right out of the box.

that ain't good..

have you recut the ejector angle...have found that is the culprit in about 5% of the problems CZs have.. had one of SP01s do this..and after recutting the ejector..no issues at all.

assuming you have gone to lighter recoil springs, polished the rail, beveled the breechface, etc.

So weird. In practice, my CZ ejected just fine. Shot a match and ever since, it doesn't extract to save its own life.

What bullet &powder are ya shooting got a new shadow all bells & whisles havent found a load yet

My pet load under my cast 124 gr truncated cone bullets is 4.1gr of Win 231. Load makes 130ish PF and is very consistent and very accurate in all my 9MM guns.

Take Care

Bob