Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HELP! Am I Going Too Far with V N320?

racine

Recently I shortened the OAL of my 45acp loads to fit both my 45 pistols and also went to a 200gr Precision Moly bullet in Limited class. I'm having a heck of a time making major!?? I used to be able to make major with 5.0 gr of VV320, Masterblasters 200 gr(I think they were 198grs) out of my HK USP/5.2" barrel. I've also noticed that the VV recommendations for low/high range changes from year to year( 4.7-5.2 vs 4.8-5.5, etc...).

I've shortened my OAL to fit both my Springer and my HK USP from 1.250 to 1.220.

Crimp is 0.470

Precision Moly 200gr RNFP

Fed LP Primers

VV N320 is NOW 5.6 gr with an ave. vel. of 780 FPS?

Vihtavouri recommends 4.8-5.1 gr for this bullet. Am I going too far?!! I'm just trying to make Major again but last time it seemed like I only used 5.0gr from my notes to make 833 FPS with a Masterblaster bullet? Now I'm only at 780 FPS with 5.6 gr of a different lot number in 320. Of course I just had to change lot numbers a month before a major match. I would really appreciate any help PDQ. I'm currently thinking of going to 5.7 or 5.8 gr but is this too much (given the 45 is a low pressure round)??? Thanks in advance.

Racine :surprise:

I have noticed that the Vihtavuori loaddata for the 45ACP is on the low side.

I could not find load data for a 200gr lead RNFP bullet, there is just a LSWC and the Hornady FMJ-CT listed, so I don't know where You have found the recommendation for 4.8-5.1gr for Your bullet.

Each kind of bullet is different and You have to develop a new load. For example: VV recommends 3.7 to 4.0 gr of N310 for the Intercast LWSC at a length of 1.24. I use a H&N LWSC and need to fill 4.5gr of N310 at the length of 1.20, which shoots very precise and does not show any sign of overpressure.

A friend uses 6.2gr N320 with a 200gr (soft)lead RN at 1.25 in an old STI and still does not have flattened primers.

You cannot compare the Precision Moly 200gr RNFP with the Masterblaster and You cannot compare the barrels of a Springer and a HK USP.

Work Your loads up slowly and be sure that the chrono works correctly.

You cannot compare the Precision Moly 200gr RNFP with the Masterblaster and You cannot compare the barrels of a Springer and a HK USP.

Work Your loads up slowly and be sure that the chrono works correctly.

4.8 to 5.1 of N320 seems to me a little light to make major. I've been loading .45 for 4 years, using a 200 grain LSWC or LRN. I use 5.8 grains of Vihtavuori N320 and it makes major. My OAL is 1.251".

+1 on the above reply. Load for each weapon accordingly.

VV N320 is NOW 5.6 gr with an ave. vel. of 780 FPS?

:surprise:

:angry2:

Tell me about it! It was completely my fault for not using the chrono before the match, but I just went minor in a match two weeks ago. I'm loading VV N320 5.5 grains and made a 147 PF! Published data for a 200 grain bullet (which I was using) was about a 100 FPS higher. I really don't understand the discrepancy. I expected about a 30 fps move, but a hundred?

--Kevin

Check the OD on those Precision's. I bet they are .450.

Forgive me here Singlestack but what exactly are you saying? The OD is consistently at 0.451. I agree one needs to work loads differently for different barrels/guns but I was trying to find a single size to fit both guns, not a single load which would be unrealistic. The load data I've quoted comes from 3 different load books Vihtavourhi has published over the years. I am using the LSWC in lieu of moly bullets. Thanks for all replies and assistance. It is greatly appreciated by one coming back into the sport after a long layoff.

Racine

Edited by racine

Well, I finally made major at around 167 PF and 6.05 gr of V V N 320 at OAL of 1.220. Chrono stage got me at 170 PF so I breathed okay for the match. This seemed like a lot of powder but it burned clean and the primers did not look excessively flattened nor did I notice any case bulging on mixed and *- brass. I went through 370+/- rounds for the match and did not have any problems whatsoever. I thank all for any and all suggestions and for any info you've shared with this fellow shooter.

Racine

• 2 weeks later...

An update

I read this thread and paniced. It was a week before my major match and having no chrono it looked like I wasn't going to make major. So I loaded up some rounds with the stated 6.2 gr of N320 under 200gr berry's plated and held my breath. Got to the chrono man he pulled 2 bullets got the weight and then fired 3. Holy Crap, I made 185 power factor. I was pleased to make major but dang my results were way different than the ones stated here. Beings I'm new can someone explain? The gun is a 5 inch Xd length was 1.25(I think).

An update

I read this thread and paniced. It was a week before my major match and having no chrono it looked like I wasn't going to make major. So I loaded up some rounds with the stated 6.2 gr of N320 under 200gr berry's plated and held my breath. Got to the chrono man he pulled 2 bullets got the weight and then fired 3. Holy Crap, I made 185 power factor. I was pleased to make major but dang my results were way different than the ones stated here. Beings I'm new can someone explain? The gun is a 5 inch Xd length was 1.25(I think).

Sono,

If you read my first post you'll see that I'm using Moly coated bullets out of an HK Polygonal 5.2" barrel. Previously I'd chronoed a 200gr Masterblaster Moly bullet at 168PF using only 5.0-5.1 gr. My current bullets are Precision Moly with a different bullet profile thus requiring me to load a full grain more. Your barrel, barrel length, bullet profile, primers, powder vary PF in many ways. Since I want to continue using Precision Moly & VV n 320 I had to see if anyone had charted these waters before. Seems like my search showed a range from 4.8-6.2 gr, way more than the ceiling of 5.6 gr on various VV charts. I enlisted the help of 2 different chronos to get my results and even then the loads were higher at the match chrono. You have to consider atmospheric conditions as well( temp, barometric pressure, etc...) which is one reason I've stuck with VV 320 over Win 231.

My limited experience went the other way as I ran out of Ranier CMJ plated just days before a match and the only replacements were Berry's bullets out of my 40. I did a 2 day match in one shooting through with the same powder charge, bullet weight and ended up clocking those molys at 190 PF vs the previous 168.

I'm still not sure if I'd recommend you using my current load but so far it seems to work in my barrel.

Racine