Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wolf SP primers

steel1212

I recently picked up 5K of SP & SR. So far, I've only loaded up the SP.

From what I can tell, they seem to be very good. I've only loaded up 500 or so but the first 200 & shot all went bang. :) They were minor loads and I have a 100 of my 9x19 major loads but have not tested them yet. This week hopefully.

The 1050 does not have any issues with them. I did not have to change anything on the press and it seated them all just fine.

The VibraPrime seems to flip more upside down than it does with the Winchester primers. It flipped 8 upside down in the first 500 loaded where I get one every 500 or so with the WSP & WSR. It might be the specific primer tube as I was using the same one for all the Wolf. I will have to try a different one and see if the trend continues.

The loads I chronoed seemed pretty tight. I did not crunch any numbers but the spread seemed about normal.

I switched from wsp to wolf sp's.

Seems about comparable to wsp as far as hardness.

No issues really, SD's are tighter, too.

Amen to that, we discussed this a year or so ago, and I personally love them. Not as soft as Federal, but definitely comparable to anything else.

I switched from wsp to wolf sp's.

Seems about comparable to wsp as far as hardness.

No issues really, SD's are tighter, too.

Amen to that, we discussed this a year or so ago, and I personally love them. Not as soft as Federal, but definitely comparable to anything else.

As above, they are awesome. Seem softer than winchester to me.

I have not yet loaded Wolf in SP but I intend to. I have run 10,000 .45ACP I built with Wolf primers this summer and am VERY happy with how they perform. I have built lots of ammo on CCI, Win, Magtec, Federal (Well....you run out sometimes and you take what you can get!) as well and have only had failures with any of these traceable to ME! My guns liked all of them as did my Wife's guns. Glocks, Hi-powers, 1911's, S&W's. I do not modify my guns too much by some standards.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not had such good luck. I have only shot 3 or 4 thousand, and have had two primers that would not go off. At this point I would be afraid to use them for a major match. I have 15,000 on hand and will use them for practice. I will keep buying them as long as they are cheaper, but will save the Winchesters for major matches. For me they run about 2pf more than Winchester sp.