Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is IDPA legal as far as cylinder releases?

steel1212

People say a lot of things. Sometimes right, sometimes wrong.

The RULES say

"EXCLUDED Modifications

2. Oversize cylinder latches."

I see nothing on Dillon's site about its applicability to IDPA.

I will leave it to you to judge his accuracy and motivation.

Edited by Jim Watson

Not true. I don't think anything larger than stock is legal. And if it can't legally be larger than stock why bother. But, I take the rule book at face value, so what do I know.

5. Enhanced Service Revolver Division (ESR)

(...)

EXCLUDED Modifications (NON-Inclusive list):

1. Oversize or heavy barrels.

2. Oversize cylinder latches.

6. Stock Service Revolver Division (SSR)

(...)

EXCLUDED Modifications (NON-Inclusive list):

1. Oversize or heavy barrels.

2. Oversize cylinder latches.

ETA: I was typing while Jim was posting.

Edited by Steve J

Dillon sells the big Hogue Competition latch, the California Competition latch and the SDM latches. Only the SDM latches will pass as IDPA legal. The SDM latch has aggressive checkering so it's a little easier to get a good bite on it when going for the latch.

Dillon sells the big Hogue Competition latch, the California Competition latch and the SDM latches. Only the SDM latches will pass as IDPA legal. The SDM latch has aggressive checkering so it's a little easier to get a good bite on it when going for the latch.

Yeah, the one he had the latch was perpendicular to the frame instead of more parallel like stock. It wasn't a hogue though.

I've tried a few different thumb pieces and none of them offered any advantage over the NEW style factory part. I'm talking about the one that's slanted. The older factory thumb piece with the dished out area isn't as fast as the new slanted one in my opinion. All my Revos have the factory part installed.

686-5_Chamfer-1.jpg

I've tried a few different thumb pieces and none of them offered any advantage over the NEW style factory part.

That may be absolutely true for you, but cylinder latches are a lot like grips--people have different preferences. I strongly preferred the Ed Brown latch for years, then earlier this year switched to the Hogue release. In my hands, the extended thumb latch offers a significant advantage. On the other hand, my son prefers the old-style stock S&W release, and doesn't like the feel of any of the extended aftermarket releases.

There is no reason for any of the extended thumb latches to be illegal. They are practical, concealable, and readily available at a fairly modest price. Am I wrong about that?

I've tried a few different thumb pieces and none of them offered any advantage over the NEW style factory part.

That may be absolutely true for you, but cylinder latches are a lot like grips--people have different preferences. I strongly preferred the Ed Brown latch for years, then earlier this year switched to the Hogue release. In my hands, the extended thumb latch offers a significant advantage. On the other hand, my son prefers the old-style stock S&W release, and doesn't like the feel of any of the extended aftermarket releases.

There is no reason for any of the extended thumb latches to be illegal. They are practical, concealable, and readily available at a fairly modest price. Am I wrong about that?

Mike, there are a lot of things that can be concealed easily that are not IDPA legal. We don't make sense of the rules....just gotta play by them :cheers:

I use the “new” style factory ones on my IDPA revos. I’ll have to agree with Carmoney, if you’re trying to conceal a 625, no latch I’ve seen would make a difference. Kind of like taking the mirrors off a Mack truck to make it more aerodynamic.

Best way to enjoy revolver shooting Corey is to not shoot IDPA. :roflol:

Too many rules makes Jack a dull boy. :cheers:

LOL, na it stimulates the mind when you have to thank that much. Hell my single stack are all IDPA legal and I don't have any problems with them in USPSA lol. Granted some of the IDPA crowd thinks they are very Illegal until mine fits the box better than their's :roflol:

For what it's worth, the SSR Division Champions at the last three S&W WinterChampionships/Indoor Nationals, Carolina Cups and Outdoor Nationals used stock new style cylinder latches.

Regarding the rules - every game has it's own set, not all of which fit everyone. To turn Mike Carmoney's phrase, "That may be absolutely true for you but revolver shooting games are lot like grips - people have different preferences". Let's all be adults and pick the ones that best suit our needs and leave others to enjoy thiers.

Craig

No offence to IDPA Craig. Corey is a shooting buddy from Kentucky, and if I didn't make fun of him, he would think that I was sick. I agree, I think all shooting sports should be supported by shooting Sports people, to continue growth within the sport.

Mark :cheers:

For what it's worth, the SSR Division Champions at the last three S&W WinterChampionships/Indoor Nationals, Carolina Cups and Outdoor Nationals used stock new style cylinder latches.

Regarding the rules - every game has it's own set, not all of which fit everyone. To turn Mike Carmoney's phrase, "That may be absolutely true for you but revolver shooting games are lot like grips - people have different preferences". Let's all be adults and pick the ones that best suit our needs and leave others to enjoy thiers.

Craig

Nicely put, Craig, I have to admit. You've become so diplomatic ever since you turned pro! :D

No offence to IDPA Craig. Corey is a shooting buddy from Kentucky, and if I didn't make fun of him, he would think that I was sick. I agree, I think all shooting sports should be supported by shooting Sports people, to continue growth within the sport.

Mark :cheers:

Oh I think your sick alright :roflol:

I've shot SSR in IDPA and liked it much better than revo in USPSA. I, like some, found the rules a bit odd at first. I think if you shot it enough you'd get use to them.

BTW, I used a new style release from SDM on my Model 19.

i have an idpa revo question. if i decide to reload without firing all shots in the cylinder, what do i have to do with the partialy loaded moon clip?? i know i cant drop it on the ground cus thats littering, but where can i put it by the idpa rules?? can i put it in my empty moon dump pouch on the left side of my belt without penalty???

thanks

Scott Shepherd

Edited by scottyinAZ

i have an idpa revo question. if i decide to reload without firing all shots in the cylinder, what do i have to do with the partialy loaded moon clip?? i know i cant drop it on the ground cus thats littering, but where can i put it by the idpa rules?? can i put it in my empty moon dump pouch on the left side of my belt without penalty???

thanks

Scott Shepherd

Place the partially loaded moonclip in your pocket - pants or vest.

You won't be wearing a dump pouch. Dump the empty 'clip on the ground - you can pick it up after you have shot the stage, the same as picking up mags.

Jim:

I think that you may have got me there. :roflol::cheers:

Don't worry Flex. All is good.