Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best 22LR ammo for self defense....

jbullgpd

I know before you say it, I would never put 22lr and self defense in the same sentence in my world but I have a special situation. I have an elderly client who has some physical disabilities which prohibits him from shooting larger calibers and most all semi autos. He wanted and bought a 22 lr revolver and is looking for recommendations for self defense ammo out there. I have plenty of recommendations for normal pistol self defense ammo but I truly have no idea on 22LR. I am assuming high velocity HP or GHP round but looking for anyone's personal experience with some. I have seen 31, 36, 40 gr bullets in brands as cci, federal, and remington.........

Please advise with some background and explanation......Thanks....

Edited by jbullgpd

Nothing to base this on other than claimed velocity. But, I would go with CCI Velocitors(spelling?). These are claimed to be the fastest 40 grain 22 lr going. There are faster lightwieghts, but I think I would stick with 40 grain bullets.

Just my .02 worth

I'd go with a standard bullet and not a hollow point. Velocities out of a revolver are a LOT lower than out of a rifle, and penetration is the only stopping mechanism it will have. With tiny light bullets that isn't much....

Whatever it is buy enough of one lot to make sure it is reliable in that gun and have enough left over to keep on hand.

Remington Yellow Jackets I have found will explode birds. Not much meat left for the cats to eat. Small four legged unwanted critters in my barn are usually handled with Yellow Jackets. CCI stingers are ok too, they just cost like sin.

The Remington Vipers are really good too. They are a solid, the Yellow Jackets are a hollow point.

I would recommend any ammo from CCI, or Eley primed, as the Eley brand, Wolf or SK brand.......simply due to priming mixture reliability. It has to go off first to be effective, and they are the only ones I would trust for anything more important than matches...... ;)

DougC