Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9x19 to 9x21

outerlimits

Yes, probably. the biggest problem that might show up is if the existing chamber is slightly larger than the reamer. That might mean a smidge of difference between the existing casemouth area and the extended casemouth area.

The big question is why? Where's he going to find hi-tech expanding bullet carry ammo in 9X21? Is he thinking that he's going to suddenly gain x hundreds of feet per second velocity loading his own?

Save the money spent on a reamer and put it into good carry ammo and practice.

Couple of things come to mind ...

If he were to use the carry gun for it's intended purpose, he could raise a few legal "red flags" by having a non-standard caliber, modified gun.

Ditto on using reloads for personal defense.

Finally, the barrel might not be suitable for 9x21 pressure ammunition in the event a major round made it into his magazine.

Edited by L9X25

I am not one to whole heartedly by off on the "you were training and building guns to be a killer" mentality when it comes to what you carry and use to protect yourself. However knowing that there will be a thorough investigation into your actions it is comforting to take a whole line of questioning off the table by being able to say I chose the same gun and ammo that X number of police agencies use.

Does anyone even make some decent, modern carry ammo for 9x21?

Other than that let him do whatever bakes his cake.

Well, I dunno :unsure: ...

But I know somebody who is carrying a Hi-cap 9mm Luger ( ST_ gun) and using Atlanta Arms "factory" made 355 Super ammo intended for Open guns. He makes a 176 power factor. The bullets are Zero 125 gr. jacketed hollow point. When you buy them from Atlanta arms they come in boxes of fifty instead of the usual 20 -25 that come in most "defense ammo" boxes. They are less than half the price so you can do some affordable cost practice with what you carry. Now, let's see if I were to shoot a 38 Super. 9X21 or 9X19 (luger) in a similar gun, and all three made the same power factor with the same bullet weight ... and one of them is easily available (factory load) and affordable (cheap) , which one do you think would be the best alternative ??? (Yes, I know Atlanta Arms also makes a 38 Super comp at similar power factor and not much difference in price... ) Something to think about ... :rolleyes:

Who built his Open guns? (our local 9x21 guy had his guns built by Matt McLearn, and EGW)

Any smith that makes/made 9x21 should have a good answer.

I think the Italians have govt agencies that use 9x21

My Sierra manual lists 3 loads that will push a 125 to 1350fps.

As Flex was alluding the why isnt relevant, (maybe he is gonna use it in one of the "No military rounds allowed areas". But yes the hole reason for 9X21 is pretty basically a simple ream and reheadspace job. But like anything else once you get away from factory spec weird things happen. Springs may be an issue, ejector may need tuning, the OAL of the rounds may be an issue with certain magazines or feed ramp angles. So your answer is "maybe". It depends on the model of the gun as to how much additional tuning and tweaking may be necessary.