Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The copper "plating" on those isn't very thick at all. Also, since (I have heard) a significant portion of the airborn lead is from the primers when firing centerfire I assume that is also true with rimfire.

I thought I had heard of lead-free .22s but this article says no:

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/Impossible-22-rimfire/

yeah, its lead styphanate(no idea how to spell that) in the primer that atomizes and that seems to be the main cause of airborne lead ingestion.

However, I have no idea what kind of priming mechanism a .22 uses since I dont see a primer in the case.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The copper "plating" on those isn't very thick at all. Also, since (I have heard) a significant portion of the airborn lead is from the primers when firing centerfire I assume that is also true with rimfire.

I thought I had heard of lead-free .22s but this article says no:

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/Impossible-22-rimfire/

yeah, its lead styphanate(no idea how to spell that) in the primer that atomizes and that seems to be the main cause of airborne lead ingestion.

However, I have no idea what kind of priming mechanism a .22 uses since I dont see a primer in the case.

ah ok, just read your link. that answers my question about primers. ground glass. I was wondering what all that stuff was.

So ive been shooting LARGE quantities of federal bulk pack, copper plated .22 lr

Ive got a marvel conversion for my 1911 with a compensator on it so most of the gasses vent straight up as opposed to my normal 45 where the gasses vent straight out and possibly back in towards me depending on the ventilation setup.

I was thinking I was better off shooting .22 indoors as it produces much less gas than .45 and the comp vents everything up. If i'm shooting copper plated .22, is the danger really just in the increased round count and time at the range from being able to go through 500 .22 in the same time I might go through 250 .45?

Got tested after 6 months of shooting, around 24k rounds, mostly indoors and am at a lead level of 25. probably 18-19k rounds of .45/9mm and the remainder .22

25 seems high to me so I ordered a respirator, looking at taking calcium and vitamin D and looking at changing clothes at the range instead of tracking all that home with me. Wash regularly with d-lead, also looking into dlead wipes.

I'll be happy when I can get it into the single digits while still going through a ton of rounds.

I've said this many times and I apologize in advance for being redundant but don't get caught up with "what" you are shooting..... the common thread to high lead in ALL my experience (myself and everyone I can talk to) is INDOOR shooting. Don't get caught up with "is it the lead in the bullet" or "lead in the primer compounds" or "dust from walking downrange". There is just NO system that is as good as outdoor shooting (excellent natural ventilation usually).

Here's the thing- there is NO WAY to determine what ventilation systems are better than other IMO. You may have good air flow at one range.. but the filtration could suck. How would you know for certain?

I know several guys that do limited indoor practice (one a week 2-3 hours) and have levels in the high teens. I know guys that should outdoors MANY times a week with much higher round counts with the same lead levels.

I limit my indoor shooting to a minimum and practice good hygiene and use some common sense like everyone has posted here already. Anything over 20 is too high for me now... I was a lot higher a year ago!

• 1 month later...

So, I read all these replies and no one mentioned having an air handler (shop HEPA filtration system). I've seen some that will filter the dust around the reloading/shop area down to 1 micron (lead dust I think is around 2). They cost around the price of a new Glock but that seems like a good price considering the consequences. Anyone go to that extreme yet? I have resurfaced my plywood top reloading bench with stainless steel to make it easier to clean, used D-wipes and their soap, and tumble/seperate outdoors. Sounds like I will avoid the indoor ranges like the plague except for requalifying from now on.

After shooting cowboy for 12 years (all lead)and reloading for 20, finally gave into the wife last year. Level was in the 60's. Not good. Went through treatments due to being a lymphoma survivor. I will never shoot indoors again.

Get checked guys.....really.

Yup, was in U.C. blood wash(that's what I call it), pills. It sucked and left damage. The doc cropped when the report came. And yes, headaches are a symptom.

Sorry to hear that. I havent been tested in about 2 or 3 years so I should get that done again.

After shooting cowboy for 12 years (all lead)and reloading for 20, finally gave into the wife last year. Level was in the 60's. Not good. Went through treatments due to being a lymphoma survivor. I will never shoot indoors again.

Get checked guys.....really.

I was at 56 a year ago- last test came in at 14 last week. Did you have any noticeable symptoms? I had MAJOR headaches every other morning for over a year. Stopped shooting indoors and it went down real quick... headaches all gone! Problem is there are so many other symptoms and not everyone's body reacts the same. Quit indoor shooting for at least a good while, practice good cleaning habits and you will be ok soon hopefully. I wish you the best...

I tell everyone I can to get tested... some listen some don't.

60??? :surprise:

Holy crap!!!! I was tested at about 29 5 years ago, and my Doctor almost had a heart-attack when he called me. He said that doctors are legally (maybe he meant morally) obligated to check you into a hospital for treatment at 30.

:unsure:

Furthermore, here in our county they are legally obligated to report to the health department above a certain level. The health department then goes into harrassment mode trying to find the source. Can get ugly.

Yup had headaches and cognitive loss.

And yes, there were questions. I was interviewed the second day in the hospital. I believe the woman that interviewed me was a functioning retard. I played stupid and she bought it. Although I was asked to provide my results and such. I quoted hepa act.....they backed down. I later learned from a lawyer friend how ugly it could have gotten. I was lucky.

Lead poisoning is freaking serious and it's preventable. Yes, it hit me worse due to a prior condition, but still crappy. Get checked.

Yup had headaches and cognitive loss.

And yes, there were questions. I was interviewed the second day in the hospital. I believe the woman that interviewed me was a functioning retard. I played stupid and she bought it. Although I was asked to provide my results and such. I quoted hepa act.....they backed down. I later learned from a lawyer friend how ugly it could have gotten. I was lucky.

Lead poisoning is freaking serious and it's preventable. Yes, it hit me worse due to a prior condition, but still crappy. Get checked.

That what I think my doctor was referring to ..... reporting it to the Health Dept.

So what exactly would be the "ugly" part about the health dept. / lawyer thing?

Furthermore, here in our county they are legally obligated to report to the health department above a certain level. The health department then goes into harrassment mode trying to find the source. Can get ugly.

When I had mine done the first time, I didn't go through my doctor and paid cash. I figure the less questions the better

Bubble wrap was a joke. They could have come to my home and did lead abatement. Basically tear my house apart. Black helicopters and men in white suits. :-) it could have been really bad. My wife still busts my stones now and then over it. But it's ok now.

When I had mine done the first time, I didn't go through my doctor and paid cash. I figure the less questions the better

How much was it?

Lugnut, present level as of late Jan was 19. No real symptoms to speak of left. Retest late Feb. Have not shot, reloaded, or been to range since Sept. sucks. Dryfire is getting old. :-(

Glad it's better! 0-19 is within the "acceptable" limits according to my test reports. I honestly don't think reloading itself is a big deal as long as you aren't chewing on the lead bullets while reloading. lol On the other hand, other than the actual shooting smoke- the tumbling media is nasty! Always tumble outside. I even use a respirator when shaking the media from the brass.... again always outside. I always chuckle to myself when I think of what the neighbor would think if he saw me out back with the respirator on! Handling tumbled brass is an issue as well as dry firing with a dirty gun!! I did a lead test on things all around my reloading area.. next to the tumbler itself my magazines had the most lead on them!

I apologize for reposting the same info on this thread and others but the sad part is most people aren't aware of the issues still!!

On the DRs. reporting to the govt... I can't remember where all my paperwork went but I think it was certainly required above 20 I believe. 40 is marginal lead poisoning and 80 IS serious lead poisoning. They called me and really just wanted me to be aware of the seriousness of the lead. OSHA requires employees to stop work when their work related lead is over 40. The guy really wanted to make sure my exposure wasn't from work. Once I told him it was likely from shooting sports he explained what to be careful of and that I should inform the people I shoot with and the clubs. He didn't push to find out where I shoot and I told them it's several places. I was a little uncomfortable but as far as I know the govt isn't spying on me now. unsure.gif

How much was it?

I am trying to have mine done privately and am shopping around. Local children's hospital will do it for $33. Guessing they'd still report if it was high.

There are a few private labs around here that do preemployment drug screens. I am going to try them next. Seems like you should be able to get it done for $50 or so though.

Got my Lead level checked today. Actually got the report today. 12, last year was 11, I'll get it checked again in 6 months to see if it is a statistical anomaly or a trend. I shoot indoors about 3x a month, maybe. Gloves for reloading, mask handling brass from the tumbler. D-Leads and D-Lead soap at the range.