Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Quandry in picking a rifle

Tray

Hello all,

Here is my quandry. I want to shoot in my local 3 gun matches and need a rifle to do so. While it would be nice to have a dedicated rifle for that its not practical for me at this time. I want to use the rifle for as many things as possible. Hunting and matches at the least. Everyones favorite match rifle seems to be the AR15 platform in .556/.223. That is not heavy enough to hunt with so I was thinking of an AR10 variant in .308. Reasons for this are you have a lot of manufacturers and a lot of ammo options from cheap surplus to match quality ammo. I can load it down for 3 gun and also use it for hunting as needed.

The other choice is the 6.5 or 6.8. Problem is ammo is usually more expensive and limited in choice.

So is anyone using .308 for 3 gun? How does it handle in comparison to the .556? Is recoil a problem with factory ammo? What about the 6.5 or 6.8?

Hello all,

Here is my quandry. I want to shoot in my local 3 gun matches and need a rifle to do so. While it would be nice to have a dedicated rifle for that its not practical for me at this time. I want to use the rifle for as many things as possible. Hunting and matches at the least. Everyones favorite match rifle seems to be the AR15 platform in .556/.223. That is not heavy enough to hunt with so I was thinking of an AR10 variant in .308. Reasons for this are you have a lot of manufacturers and a lot of ammo options from cheap surplus to match quality ammo. I can load it down for 3 gun and also use it for hunting as needed.

The other choice is the 6.5 or 6.8. Problem is ammo is usually more expensive and limited in choice.

So is anyone using .308 for 3 gun? How does it handle in comparison to the .556? Is recoil a problem with factory ammo? What about the 6.5 or 6.8?

The issue is going to be: "what is good for the woods" may not "be good for the range", and vice versa.

There are folks using a .308 in 3 gun, however, it is rare.

It really depends on what class you are trying to compete in.

308 will have a capacity issue (less) when competing against .223

.223 rules the roost in 3 gunning right now.

If you can't afford two rifles, what about a .223 lower and a .223 upper as well as a 6.8 upper?

That would allow you to compete as well as hunt.

there are generally divisions available that you can shoot a 308 in and be competitive or compete against others doing the same

however this is normally at major matches.

If you choose to compete against those using .223's you will be at a capacity disadvantage, as well as a recoil one.

DPMS,Armalite,DS Arms, Springfield armory, and my favorite JP, all make good 308 rifles suitable for Hunting and Competition.

recoil in a AR based 308, or FAL or M1A for that matter, is negligable. One problem you'll have to overcome is sights, a low power optic works well on any of the 308's mentioned except the M1A, it just does not work well with mounts. this will also limit your choices of divisions you can shoot in, at major matches. the HM optic division is very new, and never seen in USPSA, only in "other" matches.

Trapr

Cheap .308 win. surplus ammo??? WHERE???? KurtM

Well let me clarify. I have seen it cheaper than 6.8 or 6.5. :wacko:

For those looking for ammo and prices book mark this link. They keep track of all the 308 surplus on a weekly basis. :cheers:

Edited by Tray

Hmmm, sounds like 308 may not work in this case.

I hadn't really thought about a 223 lower and upper along with a 6.8 upper. Will the 223 lower work with a 6.5 or 6.5G upper?

Yep, no problem with that combo either.

I meant 6.5 and 6.8!

The idea of competing with a .308 is completely false economy. The cost of competing with a .308 or worse a 6.8 is FAR greater than a .223. By the time you are done feeding a 6.5, 6.8 or .308, you could have paid for a .223 and ammo so you might as well get the .223 for competition and then hunt with a 6.8 or 6.5 upper or just get a .308 as well as the .223.

I've looked into this idea a little also, and I am very impressed with the 6.5 Grendel. Ammo isn't cheap, but for hunting it would be ok, and with a seperate upper, it would be a quick and simple switch out. It uses the same mags. Google 6.5 Grendel and read up on it, I'm sure you will be impressed. I'm not knocking the 6.8, but for deer sized stuff I think the 6.5 is the way to go. It will also do double duty if you want to do some of the longer midrange accuracy stuff too. I would be trying to work one up, but I'm getting ready to start a Whisper project. I have funds, but they aren't unlimited, I wish I could do both.

• 2 weeks later...
I've looked into this idea a little also, and I am very impressed with the 6.5 Grendel. Ammo isn't cheap, but for hunting it would be ok, and with a seperate upper, it would be a quick and simple switch out. It uses the same mags. Google 6.5 Grendel and read up on it, I'm sure you will be impressed. I'm not knocking the 6.8, but for deer sized stuff I think the 6.5 is the way to go. It will also do double duty if you want to do some of the longer midrange accuracy stuff too. I would be trying to work one up, but I'm getting ready to start a Whisper project. I have funds, but they aren't unlimited, I wish I could do both.

Thanks Steve, I'll look more into the 6.5. I had read at somepoint that they were having issues with excessive chamber pressures.

• 2 weeks later...
I had read at somepoint that they were having issues with excessive chamber pressures.

No problems at all, as long as you don't load really hot. My current Major load is 123grs Scenar at 2550 fps and that is absolute at the limit.

I had read at somepoint that they were having issues with excessive chamber pressures.

No problems at all, as long as you don't load really hot. My current Major load is 123grs Scenar at 2550 fps and that is absolute at the limit.

?

Thats PF 313,65, IPSC major is 320

Did you mean 2650 or with 130gr bullets?

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I would like to find a rifle I can use for 3gun + hunting. My budget simply won't allow for 2 rifles to fill the bill. The .308 is the caliber I've decided on for various reasons.

What I'm really down to is M1A or AR-10.

As far as 3gun goes....I'm not looking to be highly competitive...just have fun.

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I would like to find a rifle I can use for 3gun + hunting. My budget simply won't allow for 2 rifles to fill the bill. The .308 is the caliber I've decided on for various reasons.

What I'm really down to is M1A or AR-10.

As far as 3gun goes....I'm not looking to be highly competitive...just have fun.

Having owned both (M1A sold), personally I would go for the AR10. For IPSC rifle I find it better than the M1A, especially if you plan to mount optics. Also I like the ergonomics better. For hunting I don't know...

Btw: I do my elk hunting with an M1 Garand. :)

Edited by Wiking

• 3 weeks later...

You can get two rifles for the cost of an M1A or AR-10.

If you do a little shopping, and are not afraid to build an AR, one can be had for 750. As for a hunting rifle, Tikka's can be had for 500 bucks. Bringing your total to 1250. I think street price for the M1A and the AR-10 is around this price.

I vaguely remember CMMG having some bargain ARs, or maybe it was Buds Gun Shop.

Thanks all.

FYI, if you are planning on buying lowers soon I suggest you order now. Most places are reserving the lowers for complete rifle builds. Novesky and LMTs are SCARCE if any available for the next 7-10 weeks. DPMS has a 5-7 month black log now and the others are soon to follow.

After ALOT of research I ordered the Charles Daly M4LE. Great review, specs and good price!

Now I am looking for an optic. Leaning toward Aimpoint Comp4ms on a Larue QD mount.

Edited by Tray