Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fiber Optic Front Sight in the works...

sinnsyk

So after a busy month with some actual shooting... Texas State limited, Colorado State and the two US Nationals I'm back in the machine shop working on new products. The very first pre-prototype of the new Fiber Optic Front sight was ready today and it's looking good. I rode my motorcycle for the first time this year up to the shop which is located in the beautiful Rocky mountains. My good man as always didn't disappoint and had the first outline for what will be the first aftermarket sight for our Tanfoglio / EAA pistols. I made a phone call to Rich at Canyon Creek to discuss a few finer points and here's what the current dimensions look like:

Width 0.090"

Height 0.165"

Fiber 0.040"

Material 4140

The front will be serrated and have a 0.040" hole with maybe a 0.050" recess dip for the fiber to grab on to from both ends. The screw will be located in the center instead of the front as it is on the factory sight. This will give us a longer fiber and more light - brighter dot.

I'll have a finished prototype by early next week and we'll start production very soon.

;-)

Count me in for a couple. Glad to hear things are coming right along with the sight. Good to hear you got some rounds downrange. Looking forward to seeing it.

Aside for a replacement for the OEM firing pin,...I was hoping someone would get a thinner front sight for the Tanfoglio's. Others have told me just to widen the rear sight gap,...but I don't think i like that idea.

I'm working on a higher quality rear sight as well. With a set screw for the elevation adjustment etc. It'll be made to match the 0.090" front. The typical front/rear setup will be 0.090" front and 0.110" rear. I like a lot of light so I might make a 0.120" rear as well. We'll see. Biggest thing will be to get a quality front sight. Once the fiber is made I'm considering making up some non-fibers as well in 0.090".

btw. it's nice to have a good machinist, just a pleasure to see the quality of his work.

I'm working on a higher quality rear sight as well. With a set screw for the elevation adjustment etc. It'll be made to match the 0.090" front. The typical front/rear setup will be 0.090" front and 0.110" rear. I like a lot of light so I might make a 0.120" rear as well. We'll see. Biggest thing will be to get a quality front sight. Once the fiber is made I'm considering making up some non-fibers as well in 0.090".

btw. it's nice to have a good machinist, just a pleasure to see the quality of his work.

Thanks to having good friends with a mill my front is already .090, but the FO will be welcome! I definitely want one as soon as I can get it. For sure in time for Area 2.

The new front sight sounds great. I have one of the old FO sights and more light would be a great addition. I also like that you are looking at a replacement for the LPA rear sight. Put me down for both of these items. They would be great additions to my 9MM Match.

well you know I'll want a couple!!!! what rod are you going to supply with it (if any). as the rod that comes with the factory FO is the nicest red I've seen, all the other ones I've found have been sort of washed out reds.

count me in for the new rear as well.

Prototyping is done. Materials are in and we are heat treating the materials now. To give the front sight some strength we are heat treating the 4140 to about Rockwell 40. As soon as it's done I'll take it to the machine shop and we'll start production. Expect production to start mid to end of this week. I'm making up a few hundred to start. I'm of course putting it on all of my guns and I've received lots of interest in it already.

CAD Design on both the mag well and the flat trigger is moving forward, had a long talk with my CAD guy on Friday and we're coming up with some new ideas for the flat trigger to make the pre-travel and over-travel easier to adjust and correct as opposed to the current factory adjustments which are 3 steps forward, 1 back. If you've done the pre-travel adjustment on it, you know what I'm talking about..

This will give us a longer fiber and more light - brighter dot.

Hi!

Longer fiber is a very good idea. I receive a one meter fiber optic and was amazed to see how glowing it is on the end. But then I was very disappointed to see that it was no more bright when cut to small pieces.

Nicolas.

Henning, you mean you are making new rear sights to replace the LPA units on the Elite Match?

Will they be the Supersight style but made to fit the Novak type cut?

What about selling a front and rear sight combo deal.

Thanks for all your hard work on the Tanfoglios!

Mick

Main prototyping is done. Production will start this week.. FS looks good so far.

Rear sight will be for both Limited and Match. They'll be two different types of sights. Don't think you could get a 'supersight' style on the Match cut.

Edited by sinnsyk

Hey, I knew I never can throw out what's in the works ... he he

Soon, soon. Rob, I'm trying to get you sights before the WS. Gimme a call end of next week. We're waiting on some carbide tooling. I am waiting as much as all of you and it's all about getting the right material and the right tooling to make a supreme product. There's several components is on it's way to us and the machinist and the machine is on standby waiting to do the production run.

Also researched and found tuff flat black coating I want to use etc.

Rob, you're leaving on the 22nd for Bali? We'll definitely be cutting it close and I want nothing else than send you over there with new sights. As soon as I have a few hand fulls fresh off the press I'll get them coated and ship them to you. Let's talk Wednesday next week !