Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brass build up on 650 powder funnel

Recently I've been loading some new Starline brass in 9mm and have come across a problem I've never had loading once fired stuff. I get a brass build up on the tip of the powder funnel that causes the funnel to stick in the brass when coming out. The sticking causes a jerk in the index and you loose some powder out of the little 9mm cases. :angry2:

I've cleaned the brass build up off but within 20 to 30 rounds it's back again. I thought about tumbling this new brass first as a possible solution but wanted to get any imput from someone else that's maybe had this issue.

Terry

Recently I've been loading some new Starline brass in 9mm and have come across a problem I've never had loading once fired stuff. I get a brass build up on the tip of the powder funnel that causes the funnel to stick in the brass when coming out. The sticking causes a jerk in the index and you loose some powder out of the little 9mm cases. :angry2:

I've cleaned the brass build up off but within 20 to 30 rounds it's back again. I thought about tumbling this new brass first as a possible solution but wanted to get any imput from someone else that's maybe had this issue.

Terry

Are you sure it isn't the resize die causing the jerk?

This brass buildup you described is typical to new handgun brass, moreso with some brands than others. As you

observed, this goes away after one firing. It does help to tumble the brass prior to loading, but it will never be

as easy to load as fired brass. :ph34r:

This brass buildup you described is typical to new handgun brass, moreso with some brands than others. As you

observed, this goes away after one firing. It does help to tumble the brass prior to loading, but it will never be

as easy to load as fired brass. :ph34r:

Have this problem quite often with new brass (I use Starline). The sticking happens with the crimp die too (lesser degree). I've tried to work through it but it messes up the primer in the slide and sometimes the the brass flips out of the shell plate.

My cure is to deburr the inside and outside of new cases before reloading :(

Deburring eliminates the sticking problem :)

+ 1 though I have only found it necessary to do the inside to stop the sticking problem with the powder die. The outside may help with the sizing die but since I use an undersize die every case is tight anyway. With 9MM I use One Shot even with brass only fired in my gun.

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same issue a few years ago with new brass. I decided that cleaning up spilled powder was a pain in the ass so I just ran all the brass through with no powder or primers. It went pretty fast and when I loaded them for real they went much smoother but still stuck just a little but no jerking. Since then, however, I have used One Shot lube for all my pistol loading and no sticking and always very smooth.

Had the same problem with 40 S&W. Since then I have polished the expander tube till it looks like a mirror. That helped by didn't totally eliminate the issue. I now use One Shot to lube all my brass I reload (new and used) it has totally eliminated the sticking. The whole press runs VERY smooth now and no brass on the expander (Primer and sizing are also very smooth now).

I just tumble new brass before I load it for the first time as Dillon suggested, only for about 30-45 minutes. That and some case-lube and they zip right through.

There's a fine brass dust on the cases from where they were made and the tumbling gets rid of this.

• 2 weeks later...
I just tumble new brass before I load it for the first time as Dillon suggested, only for about 30-45 minutes. That and some case-lube and they zip right through.

There's a fine brass dust on the cases from where they were made and the tumbling gets rid of this.

Hmmm... I never really thought of that.... Smart