Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M1A Reload Technique

jamautry

While waiting for my Custom AR to be completed I decided to buy a SA M1A Loaded to shoot in the local carbine match my club puts on. I had a blast but as this was my first time to shoot a M1A I couldn't figure out how to do a quick reload and as a result a sun dial would have been a better measuring device than a timer. I have done a search here and nothing specific comes up. Anyone care to share how to do a speed reload.

Thanks,

James

Oh yeah Kurt is the man here - I have spent many a drunken hour in his shop with him teaching me how to do this fast - when he gets back from RM3G I am sure he will explain the fine art - the trick is not to sissy the technique but be brutal !! It can be done almost as fast as an AR mag change if done right :surprise:

Edited by mike.45

Similar to the FAL or AK, hit the release and use your new magazine (the front) to smack the back end of the old mag and in one motion insert the new one, rock it in. It take some practice time but it can be done fairly quickly on the the run. As Mike said, "brutal" is the way!

I asked the very same question and Kurt is the man to answer it. Try a search and use my name if you have to, but I did ask this question here. It was a few years ago and there might be a newer style. But I think Pacman is correct. I have been using my M-1 Garand instead.

Similar to the FAL or AK, hit the release and use your new magazine (the front) to smack the back end of the old mag and in one motion insert the new one, rock it in. It take some practice time but it can be done fairly quickly on the the run. As Mike said, "brutal" is the way!

like this

Smacking one part of the gun with another part of the gun to effect change is WRONG!!! First off, it is relatively easy to break the mag catch by banging on them with the other magazine. Where this idea come from is beyond me, and anyone who teaches it this way is teaching the path to disaster. Imagine a rifle that you now CAN'T reload AT ALL now that you have broken the mag catch by smacking it with the "new" magazine. Think it doesn't happen I have seen 6 M-14s with broken mag catches and AKs are real easy to break. NEVER HIT THE OLD MAG OR MAG CATCH WITH THE NEW ONE, I don't care what the NRA magazine says or which "shooting school" says this is the way...THEY ARE WRONG! The technique isn't "brutal" either, although it sure looks that way as the old mag is ejected quite a ways. The reader's digest version is this, grab the new mag bullets up and forward. Extend thumb on hand holding mag. hit the mag release and shove your thumb down the back of the old mag. It will eject the old mag and now your hand holding the new mag is positioned just right to rock in the new mag. With a little practice you can easily do a 1.5 second reload on an M-14/Mini-14/AK, WITHOUT breaking the mag catch. Remember you don't bang on the side of an AR with the new mag to hit the mag release, nor do you bang on the M-14 with the new mag!! "tactical instructors" that teach this should have their black nylon and velcro license revoked :devil: KurtM

Thanks again! I just started taking out my M1A and trying to get used to it. Saw this thread earlier and didn't want to try that technique. I was afraid to try it when I went out to the shop. Your explanation is very descriptive, I'lll let you know how it goes!

Muchos gracias :bow:

Kurt and I talked about reload technique a while back when .308/7.62 was somewhat affordable and I was shooting pretty regularly.

I got down to a hot reload really close to 1 second (1.09) and was running a 1.59 average of 10.

Really simple technique.

HOP

Smacking one part of the gun with another part of the gun to effect change is WRONG!!! First off, it is relatively easy to break the mag catch by banging on them with the other magazine. Where this idea come from is beyond me, and anyone who teaches it this way is teaching the path to disaster. Imagine a rifle that you now CAN'T reload AT ALL now that you have broken the mag catch by smacking it with the "new" magazine. Think it doesn't happen I have seen 6 M-14s with broken mag catches and AKs are real easy to break. NEVER HIT THE OLD MAG OR MAG CATCH WITH THE NEW ONE, I don't care what the NRA magazine says or which "shooting school" says this is the way...THEY ARE WRONG! The technique isn't "brutal" either, although it sure looks that way as the old mag is ejected quite a ways. The reader's digest version is this, grab the new mag bullets up and forward. Extend thumb on hand holding mag. hit the mag release and shove your thumb down the back of the old mag. It will eject the old mag and now your hand holding the new mag is positioned just right to rock in the new mag. With a little practice you can easily do a 1.5 second reload on an M-14/Mini-14/AK, WITHOUT breaking the mag catch. Remember you don't bang on the side of an AR with the new mag to hit the mag release, nor do you bang on the M-14 with the new mag!! "tactical instructors" that teach this should have their black nylon and velcro license revoked :devil: KurtM

Makes sense to me......

Quick thought,

I don't have an MIA but if its set up like an AK you could get an AK tactical mag release and use your trigger finger to drop the mag while retrieving the fresh mag with the other hand. It's just as fast as the other technique show.

Not sure I agree with the statement above but I do agree that this is a brutal methodology but then again the AK is a brutal weapon far less finikey than an AR but we are discussing the M1A not the AK or AR

http://www.blackjackbuffers.com/index.php?...products_id=357 I am not sure if this item will work on an M1A I have no doubt that some talented gunsmith could come up with a version that would work on M-14 style weapons, this is every bit as fast as the other BRUT Method I guess it might conflict with the safety however I'm sure the safety issue could be worked out.

Edited by Topmaul

TopMaul, the M-14 mag doesn't fall free after you release the mag catch, it needs a bit of extra help. As for a finger release for the mag catch, I feel it would get in the way far more than it would help, but then again many companies sell a lot of stuff that doesn't do anything more than "get in the way". :roflol: KurtM