Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Titanium MS Cap and hammer strut, am I missing out?

Aristotle

I'm piecing together some parts for my Springfield 1911 9mm, particularly to facilitate a lower trigger pull weight with a more crisp trigger break. I was going to experiment with the EGW Ultimate trigger kit, and realized it will not come with a hammer strut. I have tried removing my stock HS before, and that was a bear, so I'd rather buy a new hammer strut and pin to attach to my new hammer, and I'm contemplating getting EGW Titanium Cap and Hammer Strut.

I got a really nice trigger job from JPL on my Dan Wesson. I've been contemplating ordering two sets of Titanium parts to put in both my Springer and DW. Any "felt" improvements" on titanium parts, or is it all more just "conceptual improvements". I'm almost leaning towards just a Ed Brown Steel H Strut. Am I missing out on not going Ti?

The advantage of the parts you are asking about is not in the pull but in locktime, lighter parts move faster given the same force so the gun will fire sooner than one with heavier parts. I use the EGW Ti short cap and Ti strut in all of my guns.

The advantage of the parts you are asking about is not in the pull but in locktime, lighter parts move faster given the same force so the gun will fire sooner than one with heavier parts. I use the EGW Ti short cap and Ti strut in all of my guns.

Thanks for the reply HSmith, I was hoping you would chime in.

So let me get this straight.

Lock time = the time between when the trigger is depressed, and when the firing pin strikes the primer?

If you use them exclusively, then you have obviously found some profound advantage over steel parts, which is good enough for me. I'm going to give it a try. :cheers:

+1

Yes, locktime is the time it takes from sear break to the firing pin to hitting the primer.

I don't think I would call the difference profound, but I can tell the difference using the same load in the same gun. I like the absolute lightest fire control parts I can get and maintain consistent ignition.

I round the bottom of the strut and if the Ti cap has a long post, shorten it. The bottom of the strut doesn't fit very well into the cap as is from the package. Looks to be cut from flat stock. I like them and you can use them as is, but nothing is ever good enough "as is".

I round the bottom of the strut and if the Ti cap has a long post, shorten it. The bottom of the strut doesn't fit very well into the cap as is from the package. Looks to be cut from flat stock. I like them and you can use them as is, but nothing is ever good enough "as is".

While your at it it is nice to polish the mating surfaces of thes two parts as well. :)

Total waste of time and money. We are not shooting a rifle off hand at distant targets. The only improvement you will notice is in your movement from one firing point to another - you will move faster as your wallet is lighter.