Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cabela's Gun Library

GIO

Have you checked the prices they ask for their guns? Even worse have you ever tried to sell something there? I know it is a business and everybody looks for top dollar when they want to sell something but they have some balls. On a side note the staff at the regular Gun counter is a great source of comedy. Just stand around the counter and listen sometime. AHHHHHHHHHH

Try buying ammo at Dick's. The guy behind the firearm/ammo counter at the local store had no clue what 40 S&W was, even when I pointed the variety of boxes out to him. He had to call the manager, a young girl, who knew what it was.

You would hope for more from Bass pro or Cabela's. I use to work at Richmond Sports & Rec. When they opened they hired alot of good people and then treated them like crap. They then would hire for the hunting department anyone that said they ever hunted before in their life. The problem was they had a full blown gun shop and had more handguns than most of the other stores in the area. When the upper management passed up one of the good salesmen for some stooge off the street they made the stooges life hell. At one point they convinced him that the new hottest gun coming out was the Conway Twiddy golden memorial in 30-06 Ackely improved. The stooge called all the distributors looking for one and I think most of them thought he was crazy. The best part of it was Conway Twiddy was still alive at the time. A couple of weeks after this trick we talked the stooge into ordering a Rossi Don Rickels special in .357 maximum. :roflol:

My impression of buying ammo at Dicks or Wal-Mart:

"Left.... left... nope... up.... too far.... back down.... right there." :roflol:

:roflol:

that is perfect!!!

:roflol::roflol::roflol:

+1

That was my expirience with buying powder at Cabela's !! I usually buy from Sportman's where I dont have to

deal with employees but for some reason they keep the 5 cans of powder behind the counter at Cabela's. They also

have the worst prices on new guns in general, most mom and pop stores in the area will beat them by far everytime.

I guess they have to pay for the fishtanks and stuff somehow !! :P

We got them ALL.

But I got Dillon up the road and several shooters I know that deal in components. That's all I need. I will say I like Sportsman's Warehouse. They keep one pound cans of powder that I have picked up in a pinch. The big boxes cater to the fisherman and seasonal outdoorsman which is cool. That's where the volume is.

Jim

I made the mistake of opening my big mouth (can't help it sometimes) at Cabelas one day and started giving advice to a guy who was obviously new to firearms. When I started to contradict just about EVERTHING the counterdude told him, counterdude got real mad. For some reason I could not get snyone to help me a little bit later when I wanted to look at what appeared to be a Beretta open gun they had in the used gun cabinet ( I had not intention to buy it, I was just curious). I quickly got the hint and moved along.

For the record, the new guy I was talking to left without buying a thing, so I guess I won in the end. :rolleyes:

These are some of the reasons why I quit buying my firearms at the various "box stores". Last time I attempted was for a Springfield M21.

First I had to beat the dead horse to a pulp just to get any one on the floor to move. Then after getting noticed they questioned whether they would be able to get it or not being uncertain if it was a LEO or not. Which that took a month.

After getting that red tape cleared away it took them another six months to get one ordered in, for what reasons.....I have no idea.

After they got the rifle in, they were wanting $1000 over the whole sale price of the rifle.

For what time and effort I wasted with them there are other dealers here that sell for %10 over the wholesale price. And took them less than a week to get the rifle to me.

We just had a Cabelas open here a couple weeks back.I'd have to say most of their used stuff is a joke.Most of it priced way high due to condition.Lots of rifles with rotten,rusty bores for near new money.One rifle I looked at had a broken safety.Now theres a lawsuit waiting to happen!I did swing a pretty good deal on a 20 guage 1100 though.The thing to do with these big box outdoor stores is to play the rebate/coupon/sale game on the new stuff.I wish we'd get a Sportsman's.

• 1 month later...

i have bought two WWI colt 1911's from cabelas gun library & i'm happy with them. their prices aren't cheap but the two pistols i got were in the ballpark value wise. they also offer the poor boy lay-a-way plan & are c&r freindly. i have seen a few good deals on pre-war mauser sporting rifles but they were out of my price range even with the poor boy lay-a-way plan