Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W Model 27

JAB

Ok i have mint cont S&W Model 27 5'' barrel siting in my safe doing nothing :goof: . I want to start using it and i like to hear from you on what i can shoot this Big N frame in IPSC/IDPA/?

You can use it for IPSC.

It is no good for IDPA because of their 4" barrel limit.

Nobody make good speed loaders for it anymore, never really have. Safariland used to make comp 1 but not anymore.

You could have it cut for moonclips.

Those are beautiful examples of Smith & Wesson's work.

You can use it in USPSA and ICORE but not IDPA. The 5 inch barrel keeps it out of IDPA.

I'd get four or five speedloaders for it and a decent holster and take it to any USPSA match and have fun. You may also want to find a local ICORE club. Look at ICORE.ORG to find a club near you.

All ICORE stages are 6 round neutral so you'd be right at home and the Revo shooters are the friendliest buch of people you can meet.

I've got a 4" version (27-3) and it's a beautiful gun.

How attached are you to this gun? Pristine M27s are bringing pretty good money; you could sell it to a collector and get enough to get another revolver better suited to competition plus all the accessories.

If you want to keep the gun and shoot it, I'd go with IDPA. Due to Canada's laws, IDPA lets you use >4" barrels. You'd just need a holster, two speedloaders, and something to carry the speedloaders in. HKS is the only company making speedloaders for the M27; Blade-Tech makes speedloader carriers.

Of course, if you're a real Canadian ("I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay..."), you'd shoot it with a Colt New Service in .455 Mk II, just like the Mounties use, eh? :P

There are a few of those 27's that are 5"-- 8 shots and Smith only made 100 of them and 100 of the 4" 8shot of which I have one mine stays in lock up :rolleyes:

Does it not shoot well or something? I mean if you don't love it enough to take it out and shoot it there must be a reason. :unsure:

Edited by vrmn1

There are a few of those 27's that are 5"-- 8 shots and Smith only made 100 of them and 100 of the 4" 8shot of which I have one mine stays in lock up :rolleyes:

My main 8-shooter these days is a 6.5" Model 27-7, they made 100 of them for Bangers a few years back and they are now virtually unobtainable. It's a sweet rig! I shot a lot of steel matches with it this summer.

JAB, my thoughts were similar to Chuck's--probably the best way to turn your 27 into a competition gun would be to trade it for a nice 625!

I do have a soft spot for 27s, though. I shot an awful lot of bowling pins "back in the day" with my 8-3/4" Baummanize 27--I mananged to shoot my way to 2nd Overall (to Ken Tapp) at Second Chance in '93 with it. Now it comes out once a year for the one remaining invitation-only bowling pin match I shoot for old times' sake.

Does it not shoot well or something? I mean if you don't love it enough to take it out and shoot it there must be a reason. :unsure:

Nope there nothing wrong with it shoots great just that its so close to new cont that id hate to see it get marked up I have a 625 and a 686 i could shoot

I have a six-inch Model 28 I bought waaay back in the old days and thought hard about using it for USPSA. I do have a couple of the old Safariland Comp Is and a pile of the HKSs.

Finally, though, I just gave it up.

A moonclip conversion would make some sense and those are done by Pinnacle among others. Doing the modification might be a negative given the value of the gun (if that's a big deal). In my case, I didn't care about resale, since it's not for sale and I don't give a hoot what my brother will think if he outlives me. I've had the thing for 35 years and another 35 is fine with me.

But the real fact is that shooting major power N-frame .357 in USPSA, which most of us agree is a significant benefit, won't produce as high a score for a given shooter as will a .45. None of my cohorts can go as quickly with one as with a .45. Plus, the .45s reload way more positively and quickly.

In fact, I recently grabbed an older six-inch 686 and so far, by my limited testing, I can shoot it better and faster with major loads than my ol' Highway Patrolman.

In the end, it's just a fun gun, now, a nostalgia item that I enjoy.

When there's a timer involved, it's .45 time for me. Now, I've gotta go clean the New Service.

Edited by Cherryriver

JAB - Don't you DARE cut on that gun!!!! It looks like a 27-2, which is a desirable version of the 27. If you don't want to sell it, shoot it as is.

Dang, that's a cherry gun! :D

Dam you have a good eye yes it is a Model 27-2 with 5'' barrel have have not seen to many up here with a 5'' barrel