Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Instruction

rjkelso

Brian has some revolver info in his book. You will find a broad range of "The Rite Way" among shooters.

IF....If you can look at how you and when you begin a quick shot and a long range accurate shot, = describe how you do it in detail. You could post that as a question and get guidance.

The very best way And! the most cost effective it to get professional help = like a class with Jerry.

You will save the lost of weeks and month & years traveling with out a map.

Shooting revolver is not much diff than shooting a Auto =Balance & stance ...+ a decent trigger.

Jamie

I'm not sure how much Jerry is teaching these days, but I still think he does some instruction. People I know who have taken instruction from him have said he is a really good teacher.

I go back and forth on the idea of a beginning revolver shooter trying to emulate Jerry's techniques. He does many things so differently than most of us, and what works for Jerry may not necessarily translate to the rest of us.

I believe I have heard that Randy Lee was doing some revolver instruction. Randy is a very competent ICORE shooter, a smart guy, and an effective communicator. I don't think he shoots much USPSA, though, which is a very different game.

My best advice--if you really want to learn, sign up for the matches where the top revolver guys are shooting, and make arrangements in advance to squad with them. All the GM/M revolver guys I know are very open to that and very willing to help anybody who shows up with a wheel. Let the top guns help you during walk-through, too--revolver shooters routinely discuss stage break-down and attack strategy with each other right there on the stage. There's a ton of free instruction available just be being there and paying attention.

IMHO go out and shoot at 25yds. until you can get 80% of the points possible. Just work on doing it without stopping the trigger stroke.

All the struggling Revo's I've seen have pretty good accuracy, but they have to slow down to do it.

If you work up close for speed you will get into bad habits that will hurt you at any distance.

If you can hit what you need at 25 yds without stopping the trigger stroke, you'll naturally pick up speed closer.

As for reloads, big +1 with Mike. Just ask, most M/GM's know and can use both methods. Then try both and work with what feels right.

There's not really a lot of tricks. Most of the issues are generic to competition handguns in general.

Does anyone know where to go to get good revolver specific instruction? Searched some but don't quite know how to get there.

Same question from another Rick, in Austin.

IMHO go out and shoot at 25yds. until you can get 80% of the points possible. Just work on doing it without stopping the trigger stroke.

This sounds like a great place to start.

Thanks,

Rick

Does anyone know where to go to get good revolver specific instruction? Searched some but don't quite know how to get there.

Same question from another Rick, in Austin.

This sounds like a great place to start.

Thanks,

Rick

You should see if you can get with Mark (Pin Shooter) that would be a great place to start ;)

Rick #1....San Diego. There are dozens of dedicated revolver shooters in the SOCAL area. Check the ICORE web site, and try to make it to a California Wheelburner monthly Match. They will get you on the right track.

Rick #2....Austin....You have Alamoshooter ( Jamie ) down your end of the State, and if he teaches you all he knows you will end up buying a Glock. :roflol: Just kidding.......Jamie is a great resource and an excellent instructor. It would be worth PMing him on these forums, and try to meet up.

Mark

Do you shoot with the Austin IPSC / Steel Challenge club?

JF

I haven't shot any matches for several years due to chronic health problems. When I was shooting, I shot the Alpha-Mike Shooters matches at Bulverde. I also alternated shooting the Texas Steel matches at Bulverde or the ALSPPC matches when they were held at the Hill Country Range on Hamilton Pool Rd so that I shot two matches a month.

My health is improving and for the last twelve months or so I've been working up to where I can shoot weekly or more. Now I just need to get off my butt and start shooting some matches again. It's as much mental as physical at this point, but that's a subject for another post.

Anyway, I'd like to start shooting the Alpha-Mike matches again. Now that ALSPPC has moved their matches to La Grange, I'm considering trying some of the matches in San Antonio too.

With all of the above said, I'm not ready to start competing shooting a revolver. I've picked up a few revolvers and I enjoy shooting them, but I suck. Hence the request for some instruction on how to properly shoot a revolver.

Rick #2....Austin....You have Alamoshooter ( Jamie ) down your end of the State, and if he teaches you all he knows you will end up buying a Glock. roflol.gif Just kidding.......Jamie is a great resource and an excellent instructor. It would be worth PMing him on these forums, and try to meet up.

Great! I shoot a Glock worse than I shoot a wheel gun. :D I'll send AlamoShooter a PM.

Thanks to all,

Rick

Something to remember is that this is a sport, a very physical sport, that just happens to involve shooting. There are shooting skills but that does not make a competitor. It takes shooting skills, gun handling and manipulation skills, movement skills, logical thinking ,endurance too. It's a sport. Consider looking at this sport the way other weekend warriors prepare for their sports. Little things like conditioning, nutrition, hydration methods, and careful thought are critical to any sport but folks rarely seem to consider things outside of pull trigger while front sight on target, and some sort of reload.

It's bigger and much more complex, or can be, than just shooting and that's part of what makes this such a wonderful activity.

Let me ask a direct question. I am using the Jet Loader speed loaders. I have not tried the Safariland Comp IIIs. Is there agreement on the best product?

Viggen - You are right.

Pin Shooter - I'll make it happen.

They are essentially the same. Bubber has addressed that somewhere in the forum.

The Jets sort of disappeared for a while and now seem to be around again. I use the Comp's 3 when I use a K-frame, cut down Comp 3's.

Jets or Comp 3's , no disadvantage to either - same design, different maker. Local availability is the key.

Something to remember is that this is a sport, a very physical sport, that just happens to involve shooting. There are shooting skills but that does not make a competitor. It takes shooting skills, gun handling and manipulation skills, movement skills, logical thinking ,endurance too. It's a sport. Consider looking at this sport the way other weekend warriors prepare for their sports. Little things like conditioning, nutrition, hydration methods, and careful thought are critical to any sport but folks rarely seem to consider things outside of pull trigger while front sight on target, and some sort of reload.

It's bigger and much more complex, or can be, than just shooting and that's part of what makes this such a wonderful activity.

Man, you're scaring me! :surprise:

Man, you're scaring me! :surprise:

There can be a great deal of depth to the sport. Approach it the way that brings you the greatest pleasure, the greatest satisfaction.

When the buzzer sounds you shoot the stage.

In answer to Bill Nesbitts' question.

MY guess would be 80+ % of the revolver shooters that consistantly compete with a revolver are self taught.

As far as wheelgunners in CA go. MY first guess Is Bucket Bagakis, and then go from there.

And Jamie Foote in San Antonio.

HOP

The answer to this question is very simple: MICULEK. He has it all figured it out, right down to the most minute detail. If I had the time and money, I'd rent him for a week.

Be aware that the revolver is NOT the same as the auto. I don't care what anybody says; they are different and need to be treated as such.

Another great resource is Ed McGivern's book "Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting." About a month ago I saw a new softcover version at Barnes and Noble, so it's out there and readily obtainable. It's chock full of valuable information but it can be a tough read if you're obsessed with perfect grammar and punctuation. It's absolutely amazing what that man could do with a one handed bullseye stance.

Dave Sinko

In answer to Bill Nesbitts' question.

MY guess would be 80+ % of the revolver shooters that consistantly compete with a revolver are self taught.

As far as wheelgunners in CA go. MY first guess Is Bucket Bagakis, and then go from there.

And Jamie Foote in San Antonio.

HOP

And Bucket is at the San Fran end, not San Di end. :roflol:

lots of dry fire practice

get a .22 and shoot a brick (or more) a month; the Model 18 is my favorite

get into handloading; the Dillon squard deal B is a good press

it just takes time and practice....

"how do you get to Carnagy Hall?"

"practice, practice,practice"