Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Drove by the DQ

mjoy64

So I'm shooting an all classifier match this weekend. My squad finishes in the first bay and moves to the second bay. The other squad isn't finished yet so just about every dang shooter at the match is in the second bay. I unsling my gun bag off my shoulder and as I pull the shoulder strap of the bag up off my shoulder the carry handle hooks the grip of my gun and yanks it out of the holster. The dang gun clatters noisily off the concrete. :blush: I'm embarrassed and my first instinct is to grab it and reholster as quickly as possible before any other people notice. I start to reach for it and my buddy yells "don't pick it up"... just in time. I felt like a turd in a punch bowl as they got the MD who picked up my gun, gave it a check, and holstered it for me.

I was milleseconds from my first DQ, which would have sucked because this was only my second USPSA match and we were shooting it to get our classification in a single match.

Muchas gracias to my buddy for saving me more embarrassment! :cheers:

So I'm shooting an all classifier match this weekend. My squad finishes in the first bay and moves to the second bay. The other squad isn't finished yet so just about every dang shooter at the match is in the second bay. I unsling my gun bag off my shoulder and as I pull the shoulder strap of the bag up off my shoulder the carry handle hooks the grip of my gun and yanks it out of the holster. The dang gun clatters noisily off the concrete. :blush: I'm embarrassed and my first instinct is to grab it and reholster as quickly as possible before any other people notice. I start to reach for it and my buddy yells "don't pick it up"... just in time. I felt like a turd in a punch bowl as they got the MD who picked up my gun, gave it a check, and holstered it for me.

I was milleseconds from my first DQ, which would have sucked because this was only my second USPSA match and we were shooting it to get our classification in a single match.

Been there, but thankfully knew the rule and the want to not DQ overcame the fear of embarrassment. :)

Had my gun pop out of it's holster at the TSLC this last weekend on the bed stage. It landed on my hand. I had to call for the RO but since my hand was under the gun and not on top of it, I was luckily saved from the dreaded DQ. Although I did stop by DQ on the drive home and had a banana cream blizzard with pecans and chocolate... YUM! But I don't think that was quite a zone meal!

Had my gun pop out of it's holster at the TSLC this last weekend on the bed stage. It landed on my hand. I had to call for the RO but since my hand was under the gun and not on top of it, I was luckily saved from the dreaded DQ. Although I did stop by DQ on the drive home and had a banana cream blizzard with pecans and chocolate... YUM! But I don't think that was quite a zone meal!

:D May all your DQs be as sweet. :D

Sorta on topic, or maybe should be in the "rules" forum:

I dropped a gun while walking from stage to stage. Snagged the belt with the bag,

keeper wasn't over the belt overlap, velcro peeled back and the gun IN THE HOLSTER

hit the dirt.

Guy walking behind me was a CRO, we dealt with it---but this thread got me thinking.

If I had picked up the HOLSTERED gun from the ground would it have been a DQ??

I dropped a gun while walking from stage to stage. Snagged the belt with the bag,

keeper wasn't over the belt overlap, velcro peeled back and the gun IN THE HOLSTER

hit the dirt.

Guy walking behind me was a CRO, we dealt with it---but this thread got me thinking.

Yes

Yes

You want to cite a rule to back that up? 10.5.14 sort of covers it---but says the retrieving party is supposed to check it and put it in the holster. It never left the holster--holster and gun together went PLOP.

By your reasoning, it would also be a DQ if I dropped a bagged or cased gun on the ground and

picked it up?

Yes

You want to cite a rule to back that up? 10.5.14 sort of covers it---but says the retrieving party is supposed to check it and put it in the holster. It never left the holster--holster and gun together went PLOP.

By your reasoning, it would also be a DQ if I dropped a bagged or cased gun on the ground and

picked it up?

rule #10.5.14 retreiving a dropped gun.......

Yes

picked it up?

Do you want to risk it? You might win at arbitration, then again we dq people for taking off their belt with holstered handgun......

I was standing about 10 feet away from you when it dropped. The clattering noise didn't get my attention as much as someone (you?) commanding everyone to back off.

After the RO cleared your gun and you re-holstered, I heard several confused comments from a few new shooters. I spent maybe 30 seconds explaining the rules, the safety aspect behind it, and the proper way of dealing with it. I hate to see anyone drop a gun, but on the positive side it was a learning experience for several newcomers.

Bill

I was standing about 10 feet away from you when it dropped. The clattering noise didn't get my attention as much as someone (you?) commanding everyone to back off.

After the RO cleared your gun and you re-holstered, I heard several confused comments from a few new shooters. I spent maybe 30 seconds explaining the rules, the safety aspect behind it, and the proper way of dealing with it. I hate to see anyone drop a gun, but on the positive side it was a learning experience for several newcomers.

Bill

Yeah, the commanding voice was my buddy Paul saving me from myself. He taught me a good lesson and it looks like a couple of others picked it up as well. At least the incident had some positive affect on myself and a few others in terms of understanding the rules. Can't say I want to learn like that too often though! :blush:

I will say that no one made a big deal about it to me. The MD asked me what happened, I told him, and he shrugged his shoulders and said "it happens", holstered my gun and life went on no big fuss. I appreciate him not making it any bigger deal than it was.

Mike

how's the gun doing?

Doing fine. I did get a few small scratches on the beaver tail of my M&P and rubbed a little finish off my Burwell rear sight, but other than that all was well. I shoot it every weekend so it's no safe queen. Just makes her look a little loved! :D

Mike

Edited by mjoy64

Congrats on your non-DQ, and be very glad that the gun didn't sustain too much damage. Several years ago, I bumped an open gun out of the holster onto a concrete floor at an indoor range. If I remember correctly, the cost to rebody a cracked C-More frame is around $90 or so. Lessons learned the hard way are not soon forgotten.

• 1 month later...

Yes

picked it up?

Do you want to risk it? You might win at arbitration, then again we dq people for taking off their belt with holstered handgun......

For haveing the gun in just the holster not fastened to your body! The Rule for it is 5.2.1 and is a DQ under 10.5.1 for unsafe gun handling