Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I could use some suggestions with my reloads

mike cyrwus

I dry fire practice and do reloads right in front of my face, nice and high, but when I run a stage, I move the gun down to belly button level and cant the gun so sharply that I look down into the magwell. I dont realize it until Im told, and when I shot the local Pro-Am match this weekend, the buzzer ended my run right as I was looking down a magazine well; mag in hand.

Some of this is no doubt due to my shooting pro and L10 almost exclusively, where most reloads are on the move. -I have a tendency not to think "reload" before my bigger movement actions, and end up doing it the whole time Im moving.

What Im looking for is some type of mantra, or some useful analogy or visualization technique to keep my gun up at all times.

thanks for any help.

mike

I dry fire practice and do reloads right in front of my face, nice and high, but when I run a stage, I move the gun down to belly button level and cant the gun so sharply that I look down into the magwell. I dont realize it until Im told, and when I shot the local Pro-Am match this weekend, the buzzer ended my run right as I was looking down a magazine well; mag in hand.

Some of this is no doubt due to my shooting pro and L10 almost exclusively, where most reloads are on the move. -I have a tendency not to think "reload" before my bigger movement actions, and end up doing it the whole time Im moving.

What Im looking for is some type of mantra, or some useful analogy or visualization technique to keep my gun up at all times.

thanks for any help.

mike

Burkett calls it keeping your gun in your "face box"

Think of it like playing a video game. When you play one of those shootemup games, the gun is always up and in view. Imagine you are doing that. =P

One thing XRe showed me recently that has helped quite a bit... keep the pistol vertical when hitting the button and dropping the mag. IF you don't move the gun to drop the mag out it seems easier to keep it in its shooting position for the reload. It only takes a slight turn of the wrist to get the mag inserted. And its right in front of me where its easy to see !

Assuming your looking at the gun upside down, with the muzzle away from you, put 3 lines w/ a paintpen/sharpie in the lower left "wall" of your magwell. When you practice, just tilt the gun enough to see the "racing stripes" and watch the mag go in the well. You wont need to turn it any more than that. Practicing like that made my reload consistent and efficient. I reload with the gun in my face box, about 8" from my chin, straight out.

hope it helped

-LK

How do you practice your reloads??? Tell me exactly what you do. I had the exact same problem and it was an easy fix but first I want to see how yoiu practice to see if it was the same reason I reloaded low in the match.

Flyin

Practice moving the "grab hand" fast. Snap it to the fresh mag. Have the new mag pointed into the funnel just as the old one clears it.

Set up your timer (if you have one) with say a 2 second par time. Thats plenty of time to do perfect "slow motion" reloads. Get it down pat. Then reduce your par 2/10ths of a second and start over. Focus on the "snap" grab.

The mag release button push seems pretty instinctual to me but some need to tweak it depending on hand size or finger length. I bring the gun back toward my face just beyond half way. The gun is tilted enough to see about 3/4's of the funnel.

FWIW. :)

Jim

How do you practice your reloads??? Tell me exactly what you do. I had the exact same problem and it was an easy fix but first I want to see how yoiu practice to see if it was the same reason I reloaded low in the match.

Flyin

I work with a timer and a par time. I start with an empty mag in the gun, striker cocked; I simulate a trigger break at the buzzer, and then drop the mag and initiate a speed reload and then press the shot after the reload. The striker releasing is what I use to gauge the par time.All of these reloads are static; ie standing.

What I need to do, I believe, is to get some boxes and practice reloads with movement.

Edited by mike cyrwus

Flyin

I work with a timer and a par time. I start with an empty mag in the gun, striker cocked; I simulate a trigger break at the buzzer, and then drop the mag and initiate a speed reload and then press the shot after the reload. The striker releasing is what I use to gauge the par time.All of these reloads are static; ie standing.

What I need to do, I believe, is to get some boxes and practice reloads with movement.

Yep, that is all it is. Though the basic skill of the reload is the same whether on the move or standing I believe the moving reload is a skill in itself. I had your exact same problem. I added moving reloads and it fixed it quickly. When you practice the reload really work on getting that gun up for the reload. I put it up higher during practice because during a match it creeps back down to where it should be. It made a big difference for me.

Flyin

Edited by Flyin40

Try all the tricks.

But, you are going to have to burn it in to make it automatic.

+1

If possible, try and take some video of yourself practicing at home, at the range, and at matches to get a feel for exactly what you are doing right, and what needs improvement. In the beginning, you may think that you are holding the gun up high, but in reality you might not be.