Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any thing else besides AR for 3-Gun

1911vm

i realize this is sacriledge, but if i could get a cheap source of reloadable brass, i betcha i could get an AK-47 to rock. surplus 7.72x39 is generally pretty skanky stuff. shot some pretty good groups, equal to or better than commercial .223 w/some winchester white box stuff that i got on a dealio, just hate to shoot it all up and lose the brass at matches, so it just sits there. i have a VEPR that's really a nice gun.

Why are you saving the ammo? Zombies? Most of those shots will be under 200yds anyway :surprise: ... get out there with the "Good Stuff" and I'll help you pick up the brass :roflol: ! Something different to stir up the pot at the local 3-gun and rifle matches... BTW did you ever find some boots to fit those feet of yours?

d.c.

i realize this is sacriledge, but if i could get a cheap source of reloadable brass, i betcha i could get an AK-47 to rock. surplus 7.72x39 is generally pretty skanky stuff. shot some pretty good groups, equal to or better than commercial .223 w/some winchester white box stuff that i got on a dealio, just hate to shoot it all up and lose the brass at matches, so it just sits there. i have a VEPR that's really a nice gun.

Why are you saving the ammo? Zombies? Most of those shots will be under 200yds anyway :surprise: ... get out there with the "Good Stuff" and I'll help you pick up the brass :roflol: ! Something different to stir up the pot at the local 3-gun and rifle matches... BTW did you ever find some boots to fit those feet of yours?

d.c.

actually, yes.....you ever read the 'Zombie Survival Guide'? the guy highly recommends the AK.......and i realize my feet ain't pretty.........

Edited by bigsaxdog

It might be crazy but I have shot a M1D snipers rifle in tactical at all of the Kentucky State multi-gun matches. I have placed in the rifle stages at the same placing as I do with my limited pistol and Remington 1100 limited shotgun. Yes I do move up a few places shooting a AR, but it is a lot of fun. It would never work for anybody that are B class and above.

That being said I am building my first AR, and everybody is right about finding thousands of parts for them. If you are out to have fun shoot whatever you like, but to be in the top 20% you will need to use a AR.

I agree the AR is the only real choice for a competitive platform, unfortunately, when all factors are considered.

My AR 3gun experience is somewhat limited, but I see and sometimes experience more than acceptable number of jams and such. And I really dont like the design which routes propellant gases back into receiver - its filthy.

I will say in terms of reliability, my AR and many that I see at matches, are not even remotely in the same league as production Glocks. :angry2:

So many otherwise great match performances, trashed by their AR problem.

Maybe I've only seen the bad AR's, but if if it was me versus zoombies :surprise: and every shot had to happen on trigger pull, I'd grab my AK. :cheers:

BB

Used an Mp5 clone until they started making us shoot out to 250yrds. The paddel mag release woked out for very fast mag changes. But with no last round hold open, you still to count round fired so you didn't have to cycle the bolt if you ran dry.

Edited by vipertech

Is their any thing else besides AR platform that is still competitive?

You can be very competitive with a Ruger Mini-14. But you will need to spend the money to accurize it.

My brother lives in CA and shoots an Accurized mini-14 and is very competitive with it. The rifle was built by Accuracy Systems (www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.com).

Check their web site if you are looking for more information.

320pf

don't get me wrong here, my AR runs like a scalded cat and is ridiculously accurate and reliable. i just think with some tweaking(just like AR's), an AK could run. didn't some Rooskie come in second to Voigt in the 3-Gun world match with an AK? i mean, it's just a gun........

I used a Robinson Armament XCR in a local match and did quite well. Piston driven and reliable.

I was just about to ask if any one know any thing good or bad about them. wwwcommandarms.com

don't get me wrong here, my AR runs like a scalded cat and is ridiculously accurate and reliable. i just think with some tweaking(just like AR's), an AK could run. didn't some Rooskie come in second to Voigt in the 3-Gun world match with an AK? i mean, it's just a gun........

can a 5.45 be as good as as 7.62. I cannot have a 7.62 ak type

When I had one it ran fine. Didn't keep it long, AK is just not the gun for me personally.

Now that AR's in 5.45 are emerging I will be looking for an upper as the ammo is super cheap compared to bulk 5.56mm. (about $150 per 1080 case)

There has yet to be a 3-gun World Shoot. It was slated for next year, but the host contry had to drop it. Right now it is in limbo so we shall see, but it would have been darn hard for a Russian to have been second to Voigt at a shoot that never happened.

What you are thinking of is a Russian came second to Voigt at the Asian Shotgun championships in Bali a couple of years ago with a Molot 12 Ga. ( AK-47 12 GA. ) if you can call 73% a close second! KurtM

You don't HAVE to have a AR, but really, you'd be foolish not to use some version of it. I have a piston driven rifle, POF upper on a DPMS AR lower. I call it an AR, but I suppose it technically isn't. It's extremely reliable, but no more so than my other direct impingment ARs. It IS cleaner, and I don't really like cleaning guns, so it's my favorite. However, my plain DPMS carbine is my most accurate of all, and so far just as reliable as the POF, if you consider zero malfunctions as being reliable! I completely disagree with those who say the AR system is unreliable. Most of their problems can be traced to poor maintenance (a good AR should be cleaned AT LEAST every 1,000 rounds!), bad magazines, or improper ammo (cheep, reloaded, underpowered, corroded, old 3rd world military, etc).

BTW, I have an AK that I love shooting. I even shoot it in the occassional local match for fun. But, it is NOT a competitive match rifle. Even if it was capable of 1 moa, it just has too many flaws which make it uncompetitive.

I agree the AR is the only real choice for a competitive platform, unfortunately, when all factors are considered.

My AR 3gun experience is somewhat limited, but I see and sometimes experience more than acceptable number of jams and such. And I really dont like the design which routes propellant gases back into receiver - its filthy.

I will say in terms of reliability, my AR and many that I see at matches, are not even remotely in the same league as production Glocks. :angry2:

So many otherwise great match performances, trashed by their AR problem.

Maybe I've only seen the bad AR's, but if if it was me versus zoombies :surprise: and every shot had to happen on trigger pull, I'd grab my AK. :cheers:

BB

Most of the malfuncitons I see with AR's in matches is from lower grade guns or guns that were not properly maintained (lubed cleaned properly) I have gone more than 600 rounds with my Colt 6920 without cleaning it and without malfunctions. My new Noveske is also done well. I shot it for 500 rounds before cleaning it with no malfunctions of any kind. Ar's are very reliable so long as you lube them properly and maintain them.

Pat

The quick answer is no. Mini 14s, AUGs, HKs etc. etc. have all had their chance and none has risen to the level of the AR. I'm sure you can be competitive with a Sig or a whatever but for now the AR is king.

I completely agree with Alaskapopos observations about jams. They are few and far between on properly maintained quality ARs. They are even few and far between on well-lubed but otherwise poorly maintained quality ARs.

There has yet to be a 3-gun World Shoot. It was slated for next year, but the host contry had to drop it. Right now it is in limbo so we shall see, but it would have been darn hard for a Russian to have been second to Voigt at a shoot that never happened.

What you are thinking of is a Russian came second to Voigt at the Asian Shotgun championships in Bali a couple of years ago with a Molot 12 Ga. ( AK-47 12 GA. ) if you can call 73% a close second! KurtM

oops....my bad......i thought that was a 3-gun match. yet another example of never listening too seriously to forum blah, blah......