Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pistol sights for competition

Puma

Warren Tactical Rear and either plain black, the night sight or fiber front sight to match. I haven't found a set of sights that draws my eyes to the front sight like the Warrens. Check them out and I don't think you'll be disappointed.

+2 on the Warren's.

I have the Warren/Savigny Carry sight on my G17 and swapped the front for the Warren Tritium. Nicest sights that I have used.

Good thread... I am in the process of changing out the sights on all 5 of my competition GLOCKs and this makes my search a little easier. I love the stock GLOCK sights for carry and most duties- but 20 yd shots on 8" plates are not their forte.

Yes, some of our MDs are a bit sadistic. :blink:

I used a combo heinie rear/dawson FO front, opened the rear notch to .160, really fast setup but the give in accuracy was too much for me.

Yesterday I put a dawson adj rear and FO front on my limited G34, also put a dawson fixed rear and FO front in my carry gun G19.

Fantastic setup, I was surprised at how clear the fixed dawson are under all conditions. The rear is angled just right to not reflect light and also finely serrated.

I tried XS and couldn't get used to them. Installed them adn shot them in a match and had several misses on mid and long range targets. Up close they weren't any faster for me than any other site. I thought about pulling them off then I did some more searching online, drank a little more of the XS kool aid and decided I would give them a few more tries.

I put about 300 rounds through them to try and figure out how they printed at various ranges. Then I took both my 17s to the range. One with XS and one with straight eights. I timed some strings on IDPA targets with each gun. The groups with XS sites weren't as tight (more -1s and -3s) adn the times weren't any faster.

They work for some people but didn't work for me. They will be coming off very soon.

I may try an experiment and mix the XS front with another rear and see how it works.

Also, do a search on Glocktalk. Lots of good input there

• 2 weeks later...

I installed Heine straight eights (front/rear) on my Glock 34 and later replaced the front with a Dawson FO. Feels great shooting it outside and indoors. My Glock 35 has Dawson rear/front FO and hasn't failed me yet. As for my Glock 22, I purchased it used with Bomar rear/front. It felt odd shooting it at first because the Bomar rear sticks out awkwardly, but honestly my scores are the best with these sights. I tried shooting someone's Glock with stock sights and shot horribly, but in the end it depends on your preferences.

This question comes up every couple of months, so I saved the following in a pm.

I've used 5 different sight combo's on my glocks:

the Dawson Precision (DP) adjustable rear with a DP FO front

the DP fixed rear with a DP FO front

the Heinie slant pro with a DP front

the Sevigny rear with a Sevigny FO front

the Sevigny rear with a Sevigny solid black front.

My observations are as follows on the sights:

The DP adj rear and FO front - by far my favorite, tight sight picture, shallow rear notch, thin front sight. Front sight can be too high for many holsters. Blade-tech will custom make a holster to fit, Kytec is deep enough to accomidate. Do not use a holster where the front sight protrudes out the bottom. Weighs more and can be an issue with a production gun and tungsten guiderod.

DP fixed rear and FO front - my second choice, very similar sight picture to the adj model, tight sight picture but not as tight as the adj model, thin front sight, shallow rear notch. Front and rear are not as high and fit almost all holsters, but still would not recommend it protrude out the bottom of the holster.

Heinie slant pro with DP front - looser sight picture, but not as loose as the sevigny, same front sight width as other DPs, deeper rear notch.

Sevigny rear and FO front - very loose sight picture, FO in front is placed higher in the blade, very deep rear notch.

Sevigny rear and solid front - very loose sight picture, very deep rear notch, more accurate than with the FO, IMO.

In production, weight can be an issue. You only have 2 oz's from the OEM weight to play with. The DP adj sight and higher front does weigh more than the other options. If you are pushing the limit on the gun's weight but prefer the tighter sight picture, I would recommend the DP fixed set-up.

Being able to adjust the sight to a really nice reload instead of adjusting the reload to hit POA is really convienient. With that said, I have had only one round (factory and reloads) that did not strike to POA on any of the fixed sights.

The advantage of a tight sight picture is accuracy. The advantage of a loose sight picture is faster target acquisition. Essentially, either can be overcome with practicing with the sights. I see a lot of sight picture while shooting, but get sloppy with my accuracy with the looser sight picture, so I favor the tighter sights. With others, it's the opposite. I found this out by experimenting with the different sights. The heinie is the best 'middle of the road' sight system for the glocks IMO. Any of the above are capable of taking you to M class.

Hope this helps.

Heinie has now also added a "race cut" version of the SlantPro, it has a .156 wide rear notch instead of it's standard .125 rear notch.

For older eyes such as mine, and shooting Production Division, the extra daylight helps me in this regard.

GlkHrt

Just a FYI..I installed Warren's on my G17,34 and 35. Loved them except had a small issue with the 17 shooting about 4-5 inches high at 15 yds. Finally out of sheer desperation I reinstalled the Dawson front sight back onto the G17. Issue solved.

What height Dawson sight did you use?

Yes Bob I agree with you. I shot a friends buried Bomar on A Glock 35 that was Buried by Kartman. Unfortunately as you know they are not made anymore and Kartozian takes a long time on getting things done.

Maybe you can make some??????

Edited by Midas

I originally had Dawson adjustables with fibre optic fronts on all my Glocks, now I've switched to fixed sights on everything. It's amazing that the fixed sights shoot dead on with all my Glocks so I don't need adjustables. Currently I'm favoring the Warren/Sevigny Competition sights and am transitioning all my Glocks to those sights.

-Cuz.

what width do you prefer on the dawson fo front when used

with dawson precision (DP) adjustable rear?

This question comes up every couple of months, so I saved the following in a pm.

The DP adj rear and FO front - by far my favorite, tight sight picture, shallow rear notch, thin front sight. Front sight can be too high for many holsters. Blade-tech will custom make a holster to fit, Kytec is deep enough to accomidate. Do not use a holster where the front sight protrudes out the bottom. Weighs more and can be an issue with a production gun and tungsten guiderod.

DP fixed rear and FO front - my second choice, very similar sight picture to the adj model, tight sight picture but not as tight as the adj model, thin front sight, shallow rear notch. Front and rear are not as high and fit almost all holsters, but still would not recommend it protrude out the bottom of the holster.

Heinie slant pro with DP front - looser sight picture, but not as loose as the sevigny, same front sight width as other DPs, deeper rear notch.

Sevigny rear and FO front - very loose sight picture, FO in front is placed higher in the blade, very deep rear notch.

Sevigny rear and solid front - very loose sight picture, very deep rear notch, more accurate than with the FO, IMO.

In production, weight can be an issue. You only have 2 oz's from the OEM weight to play with. The DP adj sight and higher front does weigh more than the other options. If you are pushing the limit on the gun's weight but prefer the tighter sight picture, I would recommend the DP fixed set-up.

Being able to adjust the sight to a really nice reload instead of adjusting the reload to hit POA is really convienient. With that said, I have had only one round (factory and reloads) that did not strike to POA on any of the fixed sights.

The advantage of a tight sight picture is accuracy. The advantage of a loose sight picture is faster target acquisition. Essentially, either can be overcome with practicing with the sights. I see a lot of sight picture while shooting, but get sloppy with my accuracy with the looser sight picture, so I favor the tighter sights. With others, it's the opposite. I found this out by experimenting with the different sights. The heinie is the best 'middle of the road' sight system for the glocks IMO. Any of the above are capable of taking you to M class.

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

Went with the Warren Tac- Sevigny sights with the FO front- WOW! Those 8" plates at 20 yds are a piece of cake now.

The only down side is now I am going to have to order 7 more sets for the rest of my Glocks. :rolleyes:

Edited by VegasOPM

I've been running the Warren Tactical Series-Sevigny Competition sights for years. Just got through doing a shootout between those sights and the XS big dot that will be published in the next issue of Handguns magazine, actually.

BTW, a few days ago I did something I've been thinking about for years: running an XS big dot front sight with the Novak half ghost ring rear. The idea being to use the "cup in ball" approach of the stock Glock sights but with a much bigger cup and ball. I've come to really prefer a bright orange front sight so I whipped out the 99 cent bottle of day glo orange nail polish, applied it to the XS front and....voilà! Orange big dot.

Took the gun to the range, sighted it in. Which was amazingly easy. With the bottom of the dot flush with the middle of the "cup", I found that the top of the big dot lined up with the top of the "wings" on the half ghost ring like they were designef for each other, and at 50 feet from the bench POI with Blazer Brass FMJ was spot on. Did a little fast work in-close to get used to the set-up, then fired the IDPA classifier. Shot a Master score - which is not too shabby for the first time I ever shot these sights. Actually, this is the first time I've ever shot Master on the classifier with a G17. I've done it numerous times in the past with my G34, but never before with the 17.

what width do you prefer on the dawson fo front when used

with dawson precision (DP) adjustable rear?

Hope this helps.

Sorry, just found this... I like the .100 wide FO front sight. Most use the .300 height site on the G34, 17,22,35,24, but I have found that the .285 will work but almost bottomed out for adjustment. It isn't a big deal for me because as I stated before, I have had only one reload that did not hit to the same POA. I don't use the one reload either. Others have related they could not get their rear sight low enough on their G34 etc to use the .285 height sight, and I believe them. The shorter height sight is really made for the G20 and G21 guns.

• 3 weeks later...
I've been running the Warren Tactical Series-Sevigny Competition sights for years. Just got through doing a shootout between those sights and the XS big dot that will be published in the next issue of Handguns magazine, actually.

And I'm guessing you don't want to give away the ending here? (nudge, nudge) :)