Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking to jump into Limited

notasccrmom

I've been shooting my Glock 34 in production for almost two seasons now and have been having a blast. My original plan was to make B class in Production before investing in any fancier gear and shooting Limited. Well, I haven't made it there yet and I'll need at least another year to get close. I still plan on shooting Production until that happens.

Here's my current thoughts:

I've been seeing some used Para's that are really affordable compared to the S_I alternative. I'm wondering if that would be a smart route to take to get into shooting Limited. I'd like something to play around with to see what I like in a 1911 style gun. If I find a good deal on one, would it be worth having as a starter gun?

What have others done? Suggestions, comments?

I started Limited with a Colt 1991-A1 before there was an L-10 division, went to Para P14-45 Ltd. to get to more than 10 rounds and reduce the number of reloads. Your G34 can play in Limited without the round count limits of Production (17+1?), but will still be scored minor. .40/10mm is the minimum caliber for Limited Major. I now shoot STI Eagle 6.0 in open and can change top ends for Limited/L-10. I have a G35, but haven't used it in competition because of the grip/trigger differences. I have shot a Para LDA in Production, but need something other than my XS carry sights for precision shots.

I've been shooting my Glock 34 in production for almost two seasons now and have been having a blast. My original plan was to make B class in Production before investing in any fancier gear and shooting Limited. Well, I haven't made it there yet and I'll need at least another year to get close. I still plan on shooting Production until that happens.

I've been seeing some used Para's that are really affordable compared to the S_I alternative. I'm wondering if that would be a smart route to take to get into shooting Limited. I'd like something to play around with to see what I like in a 1911 style gun. If I find a good deal on one, would it be worth having as a starter gun?

If you like shooting Glocks, shoot your 34 in Limited Minor or get a 35. I think the similarity in guns would be the best if you are interested in improving more quickly.

Later,

Chuck

You could always rebarrel the Glock in 40 and get some 40 mags to shoot major Limited. I purchased a used 35 in anticipation of shooting it in PRO, LIM-10, and Lim. I started shooting PRo and enjoyed that but lim looked so much fun so I gave it a shot. I am definetly hooked on the less amount of mag changes.

My 2 cents - this is how I progressed:

Glock 17 production

Glock 35 Lim - L10

Para SX16 - Lim - L10

STI - Edge - Lim

Brazos - SC custom - Lim.

Hope this helps.

This is what I did except a 22 instead of a 17.

IMO, mostly these questions really boil down to personality type; who has disposable income and who doesn't, etc., etc.

If you want to shoot Limited, a G35 would be a sensible and direct path.

If you want to shoot Limited, and also want to change platforms, it probably makes the most sense to go directly to STI/SV, buying a used example with magazines, from someone trustworthy....

Thanks for all the replies so far.

I would like to change platforms when I move to Limited. I love my Glock, but I want to see if I can shoot better with a single action gun in competition.

My main question was rather or not I should go with a Para 40 for my first limited setup. I would definitely like a 2011 eventually, but that isn't in my budget for another few years at best. I found a turn-key Para (gun/mags/rig/spares) for less than $700 and I'm seriously considering it.

I would like to change platforms when I move to Limited. I love my Glock, but I want to see if I can shoot better with a single action gun in competition.

My main question was rather or not I should go with a Para 40 for my first limited setup. I would definitely like a 2011 eventually, but that isn't in my budget for another few years at best. I found a turn-key Para (gun/mags/rig/spares) for less than $700 and I'm seriously considering it.

I shot my glock 34 most of last season and all of this season and am enjoying it in both limited as well as L-10. However, I also started with a Colt 1991-A1 before transitioning to a Para P-16. While the Para has worked flawlessly for me with the exeception of a few mods, it's the cost of ammo that keeps me from shooting more often. I had novak sights installed along with ambi safety, lightweight trigger and 3.5 lb trigger job from Brazos Custom and It made a big difference. I used it at a match a few weeks ago and I'm starting to enjoy it once again. While I would probably do better with an STI, funds prevent me at this point. May pick one up down the road. :rolleyes:

I found a turn-key Para (gun/mags/rig/spares) for less than $700 and I'm seriously considering it.

Sounds like you already decided you want it. Get it.

Edited by badchad

Well, you can't get a much better deal than that! I started shooting Paras and I still use the para frames in various franken-guns. Have at it if you want to go the single action route. That being said ( :rolleyes: ), I think you could do pretty good spending $700 on a G35 rig <_<.

Later,

Chuck

One alternative not yet mentioned is the EAA Witness. If you got a Witness Match in 40S&W and got some Henning basepads and Grams guts, you'd be shooting a SA type gun, able to load 21+1 at the start, and not be too deeply invested.

G35 top end and some mags to go on your 34 frame would be inexpensive.

That Para you found, also inexpensive.

You've got lots of good choices out there! Have fun!!!

~Mitch

• 4 weeks later...

STI 5.0 inch also you can increase round count with a little help in finding the parts.

If you are wanting a Para, look for a somewhat older P16. You don't want the Power Extractor. A gun that has shot five or ten thousand rounds would be ideal, as anything that was going to break, would have.

There are some good deals on Paras, don't think you have to jump on the first one.

Limited is a VERY competitive division, and the base gun will generally get modified, tweaked or at minimum smoothed out. For me, because I knew this going in I bought the EAA Witness Limited in .40. Why, because it feels good to me, the safety acts as a thumb rest, it really high cap (although I can't get more than 19 in the "21" round mag) and its way more reliable than a 2011 design right out of the box. Its the right weight and size and has only a few accessories availabe, so I am not tempted to further customize, beyond my trigger job and polishing job.

If you decide to go Limited, be prepared to spend more time customizing and fiddling with gear than you do with, say Production or SS. To be competitive, you need a high cap .40 single action with a big magwell and is totally, 100% always reliable and fits your hands. It must have great sights (preferably fiber optic in the front and adjustable rear) and a decent trigger with very quick reset. It must digest your reloads (and your buddy's if you left a box of ammo at home - been there, don't ask). Sounds like a lot to ask from a pistol, and it is; but that's where this sport has pushed Limited. Of course because you can have so much fun with the gear Limited is maybe the funnest division to shoot - but I haven't gotten into OPEN yet. Notice that I don't say that it must have a 2 lbs trigger or be a PPC match tack driver. A 3.5 lbs trigger is just fine and any production barrel will shoot better than MOST people can. Find the load its likes and shoot the snot out of it.

If you are a few years away from what you really want, why not just deck out a G35 for now and shoot the "same type" gun is production and limited. Another thought in the game is do you reload, as that is an expense in shooting 40 over 9mm. You could invest in a press for now and perfect your reloading while shooting the ever reliable glock.

Last, if you shoot IDPA, you will not be messing with your trigger pull.

Good luck, either way you will have fun

If you are a few years away from what you really want, why not just deck out a G35 for now and shoot the "same type" gun is production and limited. Another thought in the game is do you reload, as that is an expense in shooting 40 over 9mm. You could invest in a press for now and perfect your reloading while shooting the ever reliable glock.

Last, if you shoot IDPA, you will not be messing with your trigger pull.

Good luck, either way you will have fun

I already reload 9mm for Production and I have all the equipment for reloading .40 at my disposal. I don't shoot IDPA.

Thanks again for all of the input!

I was just wondering when was the last time a S_I won the limited nationals?

It’s the Indian not the Arrow get what you like and practice, the limited nationals have been won with a Glock 35.

I agree, I would love to move up to a 2011 for Limited but just can't see spending the cash to upgrade at this point. I really keep telling myself that but the 2011's are just so cool looking. I am shooting a G35 rig with cr speed rig, 5 dawson extended pads and plenty of reloaded ammo. I know the gun can shoot better than me and until the point that the gun is my down fall I will continue to run it in all divisions possibly.