Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mrs SS's New Blaster

Flexmoney

This work was done by Ned Christiansen.

He calls the texture "Truncamyrds".

I had this pistol built for Mrs SS. The grip is the smallest and highest I have ever seen. His work is just plain awesome. Note the work on the slide and Wilson grip safety as well.

Now, how do I convince Her that it is "ok" to shoot it???

John

help me understand the "checkering" on the front strap and the MSH. Is it just to provide some texture, or does it really work like good checkering and once you grab it, you don't move.

Is there an explanation for the name of the procedure as well?

Interesting!!

Awesome!

What brand of short trigger is that? I have STI short triggers in most of my guns, but they are a little too long even with thin grip panels.

Whose mag well?

It looks like the front strap has been decreased in wall thickness too . . . very nice!

TL,

Yes it does work like checkering, of course not nearly as aggressive. I use 20 lpi checkering and it eats her hands up and I don't like 30 lpi so I started looking for something else. After much searching, I found Ned :). He can explain the texture (and the name) better than I can. Although I think jhgtyre might be on to something. I had not thought of that. Here is the link to his site.

Ned Christiansen

rhino,

That is a custom trigger by J.L. Hardy. He lost the tip of his trigger finger in a accident, so he figured out how to make a "super short" trigger. B)

I can put you in touch with him if you are interested.

The magwell was a S&A. The metal you see at the bottom of the front strap is not part of the magwell but the original thickness of the front strap.

Here are the credentials:

Rusty Kidd did the Bomars. This included welding up the Novak cut and recutting the slide.

J.L. Hardy fit the barrel and made the trigger.

All internals...... Yours Truly

Ned Christiansen- Grip reduction, super high grip cut, Weld rear tangs and fit Wilson GS, Truncamyrds, PIn Front sight, smooth all sharp edges, and a whole bunch of little "stuff". He then sent it to Tripp for the Hard Chrome.

I'm very sad to see Mr. Tripp leave the HC bussiness :(

Howdy folks. I heard some pictures of my work had been smuggled out and figured I'd better take a look!

Truncamyds are indeed so named as they are truncated pyramids. I juxtaposed the "y" 'cause it makes the word look cooler. Hey, it's my word I can spell it however I like B) ! Actually I've been calling this pattern "Frag" lately too, for obvious reasons.

The idea is to give some grip but not be as sticky as checkering. You know how some folks want super sharp checkering and some folks insist that smooth is the way to go-- well, there are some in-betweeners. Also, it is rather shallow and less "notchy", so, especially on thinner frontstraps, it helps retain more strength.

The customer's spec on this gun was to slenderize it as much as possible. I couldn't have gone further on this one, and with the thin grips, it feels like you're picking up a .380 or something. This was the first time I had Tripp do a shiny/matte combo and he did an excellent job. I never, ever trust the refinisher to do the polishing/masking/blasting, but with Virgil I knew I could and it worked out fine. Too bad he's getting out of it!

Nice work Ned! That is one very trick gun you built; I especially like the frontstrap. Question: "The grip is the smallest and highest I have ever seen" Why would one want a "high grip"? Do some brands have a "higher" grip than others?

Carlos

The higher the front strap is cut up toward the inner aspect of the trigger guard, it eliminates the arc where those two parts of the pistol meet and allows you to grip the pistol closer to the axis of the bore line and with less separation of your trigger finger and the others three fingers on the hand which holds the pistol.

What Tightloop said. It's a recoil control enhancement, an ergos thing. You get way, way high in the back and some small gaps start to appear where inner frame cuts mate to the grip safety; some people find these objectionable, but for a really high grip you have to live with it. I feel it's a good trade, as in, form follows function.