Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Time

3GunF1Guy

There are way to many days in a week and some times way to few. I need to speed up time and sometimes slow it down!!

I’m trying to get a bolt gun built and every one of the gunsmiths that I would want to build the gun is 4 to 10 month backed up. For example Gre-tan -10 months, Gordy’s - 6 months, Borden Rifles- 10 months, G.A. Precision – 4 months. It has taken a year and a half to get the parts together and now it’s wiat .. wait ..wait just to get a thread, chamber and crown. I can do all the rest of the gun. If you have ever dealt with gun smith’s before you know that quoting time on the phone and actual build time are two different things. So maybe I will be shooting the new gun next year. Then I have to get a load developed and barrel break-in and all of the stuff it takes to get up to speed on precision rifle, PLUS, still shoot 3-gun, my pistol shooting is not getting any better, I shoot in a skeet league every Thursday, and I would like to get some more sporting clays in this year. AND on top of all that my wife is complaining that I am not spending enough time at home with her or getting all the chores done around the house. I need two or three more days in the weekend.

Scott

There are way to many days in a week and some times way to few. I need to speed up time and sometimes slow it down!!

I’m trying to get a bolt gun built and every one of the gunsmiths that I would want to build the gun is 4 to 10 month backed up. For example Gre-tan -10 months, Gordy’s - 6 months, Borden Rifles- 10 months, G.A. Precision – 4 months. It has taken a year and a half to get the parts together and now it’s wiat .. wait ..wait just to get a thread, chamber and crown. I can do all the rest of the gun. If you have ever dealt with gun smith’s before you know that quoting time on the phone and actual build time are two different things. So maybe I will be shooting the new gun next year. Then I have to get a load developed and barrel break-in and all of the stuff it takes to get up to speed on precision rifle, PLUS, still shoot 3-gun, my pistol shooting is not getting any better, I shoot in a skeet league every Thursday, and I would like to get some more sporting clays in this year. AND on top of all that my wife is complaining that I am not spending enough time at home with her or getting all the chores done around the house. I need two or three more days in the weekend.

Scott

Join the club...only my future wife is glad to get rid of me on the weekends :-)

When I went with GA Precision for my sniper rifle George had the work done and getting the mcmillan stock was the big hold up.

A lot of these guys are putting us at home types on the back burner to take care of guys "on the rocks and in the box" before they deploy.

A couple month wait is no big deal when you consider he may be using his time to help out a Marine 8541 get his rifle tweaked.

JK

Support a sniper in the war on terrorism.

WWW.AMERICANSNIPERS.ORG

Scott,

I know a guy with a pipe threader and a Milwaukee drill. We can have that barrel and chamber done in 30 minutes :D

On a serious note. If all you are having done is a barreled action built, George should be alot faster than 4 months.

Scott,

I know a guy with a pipe threader and a Milwaukee drill. We can have that barrel and chamber done in 30 minutes :D

On a serious note. If all you are having done is a barreled action built, George should be alot faster than 4 months.

You know that might be as good as some gunsmiths. Throw the barrel in a lath and run the reamer in it.

Scott

Tell me about it!!!! I am working over 100 hours a week between my day job and my side job and have been for a couple years, trying to raise a family, try to shoot 3 matches per month, keep up with chores around the house and my wife just brought a puppy home that I will either train or deal with the consequences of not training. 4 months for gun work isn't bad at all if the guy is really good, would be over a year for me to get to it.

If you come up with a day stretcher let me know, I would pay dearly for one,

Time or Money, that's the trade off in life.

If you want it done quickly and well offer 2X or 3X what the standard pricing might be. Just up the money factor and it can get done any way you want it - a general play that usually(always) works.

You know that might be as good as some gunsmiths. Throw the barrel in a lath and run the reamer in it.

Scott

Some "gunsmiths" will do JUST that!

I have noticed very few smith have the ability or the tools to indicate off the center of the hole and then chamber. Most of them just center on the outside of the barrel. And the run a reamer in the barrel.

Scott

Scott,

I know a guy with a pipe threader and a Milwaukee drill. We can have that barrel and chamber done in 30 minutes

On a serious note. If all you are having done is a barreled action built, George should be alot faster than 4 months

I bet the job only takes 2 - 3 hours actual work time, the queue before he gets to the gun will be 4 months.

We employ 4 gunsmiths to do various work at the gunshop I work at. All but one are backed up 6 weeks at this time. One just anounced that he will no longer undertake certain jobs to try and get the three guys he employs back down to 5 days a week.

And the handgun guy just let me know he will be off line next month while he gets a shoulder reconstruction. I hope he gets to the three guns I sent him before he gets chopped open.

So I feel the pain.

I have noticed very few smith have the ability or the tools to indicate off the center of the hole and then chamber. Most of them just center on the outside of the barrel. And the run a reamer in the barrel.

Scott

The barrel should be indicated in a 4 jaw chuck, and then the muzzle end indicated where it sticks through the headstock. It is a 3 or 4 hour job if the action doesn't need any work.