Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wilson Combat slide vs. STI Trojan

-JQ-

I had the slides off my 2 1911's tonight. Both guns are fairly new and each has around 500 rounds of WWB.

The bottom of one slide is very smooth and the other has tooling marks on; what I would guess to be an important surface.

Is this an issue or just cosmetic? One looks polished the other not.

Also one has two small "dings"...see the arrows...what's that about?

JQ

post-12620-1217386759.jpg

post-12620-1217386797.jpg

post-12620-1217386835.jpg

Dings there are usually from slapping empty mags in the gun practicing reloads-- they over-insert and the feed lips hit the disconnector rail.

That rail isn't a critical surface, but the disconnector and hammer do ride on it. You can see the drag marks.

Wow! I'm kind of shocked that the high dollar Wilson slide has tooling marks and the cheaper Trojan doesn't.

Well I hadn't said which one was which...but you are right. And that was my thoughts exactly...$1200 vs. $2400. Even if it isn't a major factor on performance I really expected everything to be slick and sick.

That having been said, the STI did get Dave Dawson's enhancement package...which I highly recommend!

Looks to me like someone programmed the mill that cut that surface a little aggressively to leave inconsistent tool marks instead of just a nice simple swirl. End mill was probably getting dull too. Damn shame that that was acceptable to QC.

With that said, take a piece of 1500 grit and mirror polish it. Don't sweat the grooves of the tool marks, just make it SMOOTH.

Wow! I'm kind of shocked that the high dollar Wilson slide has tooling marks and the cheaper Trojan doesn't.

Well I hadn't said which one was which...but you are right. And that was my thoughts exactly...$1200 vs. $2400. Even if it isn't a major factor on performance I really expected everything to be slick and sick.

That having been said, the STI did get Dave Dawson's enhancement package...which I highly recommend!

I bought a Trojan without the enhancement package and the inside of the slide was machined/polished as nicely as yours....ran perfectly too, so naturally I sent it to my smith for a complete makeover :P

Metal on metal contact...too me, deserves to be stoned smooth.

How about the spring tunnel in the dust cover of those two ?

Good question flex on the dustcovers, etc.

I guess one thing I really want to know from this is...should I call wilson and ask/insist that they "finish the job"? I'm sure a local smith could do it, I could do it to some degree, but this is a high dollar gun with a lifetime warranty. And, one reason for buying this level of gun is that "I" didn't want to have to tune it...maybe I expect too much but I don't think so.

If I buy a $3k bike frame I don't expect to have to clean up welds either...maybe I crazy.

Don't take that smooth, the marks are too deep, run it as-is or send it back. Disconnector rail height is something you don't want to mess with.

I am surprised to see it on the Wilson too, but it isn't going to be a big deal. You might replace the disconnector a couple times in the next 200K rounds instead of once but that is about it. It should not have been that way, but it isn't the end of the world.

UPDATE: I just spoke to WC and sent them the pics above. They were very helpful and said they would get the pics to the right people.

Yep Flex new gun...bought one day before the IN sectional where I used it to win Single Stack................D class ^_^

The guns runs like a top so far but the marks make me wonder a bit about the QC and what else is "under the hood"

Update:

I just got off the phone with Wilson Combat. They are going to take care of the slide for me and cover shipping costs as well +1 on their CS. They are also going to inspect the whole gun while there too.

They too, assured me that the issue was mainly cosmetic and there was nothing to worry about but they were will to take care of it anyway.

Here is the BIGGER issue - I wanted an ambi-safety too while it is there...hmm...magwell & blended too....hhmm OK...of course that requires some metal to come off thus needing refinishing...well I really wanted black over green when I went looking but settled on black...OK might as well go for broke right...green it is.

So now I'll have the WC I've always wanted without the wait...well ok it is going to be a FEW weeks to get back.

WTB - Patience: willing to pay over market value if transaction is SOON.

Will post pics upon arrival.

• 1 month later...
The tool marks are cosmetic, but I would think they would creat undue wear after a while, a long while, but still. I would have just stoned them out and polished the surface.

Bob

Thanks Bob. Wilson is taking good care of me me on it. Hopefully it will be back 3-4 weeks...my fault as I have upgrades too...