Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson Fiber Optic vs. Glock Adj. Sights

TonyG35

Just replaced my G35 adj. sights with Dawson fiber optic adj. rear with .100 x .285 fiber optic front sights. Found them to be much better shooting IPSC targets at competition speed but when trying to shoot groups found them to be difficult. Is this normal and with practice should I be able to shoot good groups and do well with IPSC competitions or do you trade in the accuracy for the better performance in IPSC type events? Haven't tried them in a competition yet but a little worried about shooting steel.

To me it's a trade-off.

I can definitely shoot tighter groups with traditional target type of sights, but I'm much faster on transitions with the f/o sight.

I prefer f/o front with a plain black target style rear sight. I've never cared for the f/o on the rear sight.

YMMV

Depends how you have them sighted in. For groups/accuracy I still use it like a black front sight. Use the top of the front sight only, ignore the fiber. If you are more concerned about the width of the fo front sight they make them wider.

Welcome to the forum Tony :cheers:

I can take or leave a f/o front sight but I wouldn't want a f/o rear sight for competition. But hey, that's why they make so many choices right.

Just shoot it for awhile and see. Then you will know first hand if you want to keep it or try something else.

I had a similar problem when I first started using a FO front sight. Over time though I was able to shoot as accurately with the FO as i was with the plain black sight. What I had to train myself to not do was to use the FO for the actual aiming of the shot. What I needed to do to get my accuracy where it had been before was was to use a traditional focus on the top edge of the front sight tip for the aiming of the shot. Now I am seeing the FO in my peripheral vision, which I believe helps me pick up the FS in transitions, but my focus is on the top edge of the FS for actual aiming of the shot.....

Thanks for all the advice! I did read that most shooters end up going with an all black rear sight but figure I can always paint the fiber black, take them out or put some black silicon over them, or something like that. Has anyone done this? What is the best method other than buying new rear sights?

Try and find some black pieces of plastic that you can slip into the fibre holes and melt in place like FO. Unfortunately, this idea hasn't caught on with any of the major sight manufacturers. I have always said a guy could make some money selling black FO material for this purpose.

Either you prefer FO or you prefer solid black. It doesn't mean you can't shoot with the other front sight, but most favor one over the other. I find my transitions are much faster with a FO because I can see the front sight better. Some of the best iron sight shooters out there detest FO sights. It really comes down to personal preference. For untimed accuracy shooting I prefer a solid front sight. The trick to shooting for accuracy with a FO front I find is to ignore the FO and really focus on aligning the top of the post.

...The trick to shooting for accuracy with a FO front I find is to ignore the FO and really focus on aligning the top of the post.

+1 to that. One trick is to make the FO dot small - rather than blossoming out the end you see, which makes a big glowing blob, try pulling it into the sight channel. It will wedge, and make a small bright dot against the black of the sight, easy to pick up, and you'll still have the iron sight outline available for the classic post and notch sight picture with less distraction from the FO.

I also think that the tighter sight picture with the wide OEM FS makes for less windage slop compared to the typically narrow FS.

another $.02 :rolleyes:

I shoot Action Pistol (The Cup) and also shoot USPSA and IDPA. The AP is faster than bullseye but more accuracy oriented than the other two. On the metallic sight gun I use a fiber optic front sight that has the hole in the front sight all the way through. When shooting AP I remove the fiber rod and leave the hole open. It's easier to focus on the front sight for shooing a small group but as in shooting on the plates you see a white spot where the hole is. Subconsciously you know you are on the plate while focusing on the sight picture. It actually helps me focus on the front sight but is not over powering, especially in bright sunlight.

When shooting USPSA or IDPA just put the fiber rod back and have at it. It does help on fast transitions when fine accuracy is not the issue.

This may not help you at all, but this is my take (another newb) on the factory sights compared to the factory Glock sights. I have a Glock 35 also, and have had nothing but problems with them in terms of mid to long distance accuracy. The three dot system takes me time to differentiate bettwn the two rear and the one front at times. I sometimes have the same problem with my L10 gun (Springfield TRP). I can be more accurate with the Bomar rear and FO front sight because the dot is smaller. The dot does not cover nearly as much of the target, and the FO is easier to pick up quickly. I'm sure there is someone at the local club you shoot at that will let you try out their sights, see if you think you can do better with them. Best of luck, and welcome to the forums!!! :cheers:

Jerry

Seems like the biggest problem was the Red FO in the front sight. Found my eyes could not always focus on the Red for some reason. I changed it to Green and removed the rear FO's and filled the holes with black silicon. Also played around with keeping the open holes there. Think that would have been ok but all black is probably better. I can now shoot groups ok and love how the Green FO works when shooting competition style :) Also would like to mention that Brian's book has been a great help in making me aware of things to look for and try when shooting in general. Would definitely recommend his book to anyone who has not read it yet.

I use this when teaching new FO owners how to use their new front sight, and keep then from aligning the dot instead of the sight.

Use the FO color to acquire the front sight between shots, and then focus on the top corners of the metal of the sight.

I have them say, "color..corners, color...corners" as they go from shot to shot.