Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Losing parts....

j2fast

I hate that I've had a full assembled lower sitting here waiting for an upper. I get the upper today which immediately leads me to thoughts of shooting my fully assembled AR this weekend only to notice that I appear to have lost the selector detent and spring when I removed the grip. Now of course neither is any where to be found..... :angry:

I just bought a wheelgun, disassembled it to clean it and lost the cylinder release bearing and spring. Ordered the new parts from Brownells and managed to launch the bearing again. Fortunately I ordered two. Now if I can just find all the dang spare parts that are hiding in my shop.

I once disassembled my Keltec .380 to (foolishly) clean it at the range (like that 's gonna save some time) and lost the tiny little nose piece that dovetails in place on the bottom of the slide and holds the recoil rod/spring in place. :surprise: There's no way I could have found that little hard-chromed part amongst all the gravel under that bench.

Luckily Keltec sent me a brand new one at no charge! B)

Also I remember when I got my first 1911 home and disassembled it. I removed the barrel bushing only to have the recoil spring & plug fly across the room like a rocket ship into outer space! I looked for that dam reverse plug for 2 hours thinking it couldnt have gone behind the bench, right ? Wrong. :angry:

Edited by CHRIS KEEN

I just recently "rediscovered" my extra pistol parts; some how they magically ended up in a cheap-ass laptop case I got at a convention once. Like so many, I've got too much crap but nothing I need right now. :rolleyes:

Just went thru this with a part for my revolver, shipping cost three times what the spring cost. I know the old spring is in the room somewhere, but I won't find it util the new part arrives.

LOL..

my tactical sport has two tiny springs in the sear housing..I fumbled the housing in my hand..and the springs went flying..actually found them..and fumbled again 5 minutes later...lost.....

got the springs replaced by CZ..installed..and fumbled again..., ..this time I put some slideglide on the end of the spring and they stuck...HA...

Some people (me included occasionally) just need to disassemble and assemble firearms while covered with a 55 gallon clear trash bag. I've never tired it, but luckily I've also always somehow found what got launched.

Murphy's Law says once you give up and purchase and install the new parts, then and only then will you find the old ones. And of course they won't be anywhere near where you was sure they had to be.

Took my STI apart to clean. All the way apart. Dumped everything into a tupperware dish and soaked in thinner. Cleaned one part at a time and put on a towel. Dumped tub of thinner on a pile of gravel to evaporate. Started oiling and putting back together and then couldn't locate the hammer strut pin. Spent half hour looking around carport, shook out towel, crawled on concrete with my reading glasses on. Then I got this awful feeling :sick:

The gravel pile. After thinking for a moment about where I can get another one in time for the match, I went to the tool box and pulled out a small magnet and went over to the pile of gravel, started waving it around like a magic wand and viola, there it was. A needle in a hay stack.

I just bought a wheelgun, disassembled it to clean it and lost the cylinder release bearing and spring. Ordered the new parts from Brownells and managed to launch the bearing again. Fortunately I ordered two. Now if I can just find all the dang spare parts that are hiding in my shop.

Oh man I am SOOOOO that guy. The dreaded BOING noise is the worst thing in the world :roflol:

The first time I disassembled a Glock, I somehow launched the locking block pin into oblivion. I had a bunch of junk piled up in the corner of my garage to take to goodwill (over 15ft away). That's where I found it after about 2 hours of searching.

Murphy's Law says once you give up and purchase and install the new parts, then and only then will you find the old ones. And of course they won't be anywhere near where you was sure they had to be.

I don't have the new part yet but Mr. Murphy has already paid a partial visit. The little ziplock bag I "knew" the parts had to be in magically appeared but....only had the spring in it. How in the ever loving hell I got the spring into a bag but put, left, dropped the detent someplace else if beyond me. The replacement should be here in a couple days so I'm sure the detent will surface any day now that I ordered the part.

Although I couldn't bring myself to pay $6 to ship about $1.50 worth of parts so I ordered 4 more pmags just to really make the shipping worth it..... :roflol: