Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2002 Race Gun Nationals results?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Karl scanned in many of the photos we took at the match.

Most of them are of our squad (#39), along with a couple of TGO, the women's squad, and other squads near us (had a lot of time on my hands since we spent more time waiting than shooting....)

Here's the link  http://www.krtraining.com/IPSC/Matches/2002/RaceGunNats/index.htm

Be sure to check out Roy and Bill modeling their BE.com t-shirts on stage 7, and of course, a great shot of C-class Champ Kathy on stage 16.

This was a frustrating match - I finally started to get my act together on the last day, but by then it was too late.

I enjoyed visiting the Bend area though. On Friday, we rented bikes and explored lava beds and rode around some waterfalls on the Deschutes River to salvage what was intended to be a vacation.  

Penny

Quote: from TDean on 2:58 am on Aug. 30, 2002

I was plagued by gun problems that by my calculations cost me 276 match points.  That new ghost rocket connector I installed in my G20 gave up the ghost and caused such severe binding that the gun wouldn’t go fully into battery in the middle of a 140point stage, I zeroed that stage, dead last.  On another stage the next day, the gun again stopped going bang 4 shots into a 150 point stage!  I zeroed that stage too with 300 penalty points, but a smoking time!

..... Well it didn’t take David to tell me what was wrong with the my gun this time. The Lightning Strike steel striker was broken, the tip of the striker had snapped off......Next year, I’ll have a 1911.  My Glock and me are getting a divorce!

I'm usually the last person to defend Glocks, but they are great tools... out of the box. It seems all of your problems revolved around aftermarket parts, the ghost rocket (new product, little tested) and the titanium striker (KNOWN to be brittle and break frequently).

Maybe if you put the Glock back to stock..... or better yet buy a Springfield XD Tactical in .40.  

(Edited by shooter40 at 10:23 am on Sep. 5, 2002)

Can I just say I miss this stuff more than I've missed anything in my life.

It was so exciting and depressing to read all the posts. Excited cause its fun and depressed because I used to be there.

I can't verbally express how much I wish I were still in the mix, yanking the trigger, and bitching about it.

You're all my hero's because you're all still doing it!

JB

Eric, Kath, thanks for looking past the fact that I need lots of work!  Yes'mam, I is a quiet shy type...until I get a few beers in me. Woo-hoo!!

Penny, thanks for the pix link.  I'm getting that gritty feeling in my mouth again just looking at all that sand.

Alas! You have captured my point-shooting on film!

http://www.krtraining.com/IPSC/Matches/200...age4Thomas1.htm What the hell am I doing?  The gun is in the process of ejecting a spent case and chambering a new one, but my eyes sure as hell aren't looking at the sights!  Hmmm...    I sure appreciate the photo.

Shooter40, the striker was of the steel variety, not brittle Ti.  It probably lasted 7-10K before breaking at Nats.  The whole gun was basically new after KBing my primary gun 3 weeks prior.  I agree a stock Glock would'a worked without probs.  Although I did hear (from TGO) that Sevigny was having problem(s) with his "stock" 35.  I'm simply going to use this catastrophy as the reason to get an STI Even though it was mostly my fault (untested, rushed gunsmithing).

I loved the stages!  Too bad I didn't capitalize on all of the tall guy friendly stages.  I just couldn't seem to find any speed, probably because of all the hard cover/no shoots!  Going into the match my intent was shooting only as fast as I saw the sights, but once I slowed down for the tight shots I didn't speed back up for the wide open targets.  Boy, I had the best sight pictures I've ever had at a big match.  I dropped 10 points on the 50 yard standards, no make up shots.  I had one low d hit that was either the first shot (cleaned the gun the night before and didn't foul the barrel before the standards, oops!) or the second shot on the strong hand string (it looks like I may have not followed through on the video).

Unfortunately the standards made me feel cocky and I paid for it on the next stage "Cash Problems"  I put two rounds into the hard cover by less than 1/4 inch.  I called the last one which was the last shot on the stage for me, but the gun was empty so I figured I could live with one miss (first one of the match)  Wrong answer Buffalo Breath!  When we get back to the second target I see that I have my second miss.  Oops!  I finished stage 4 in 120th for that mistake.

Moved on to "Magical Mystery Tour" and had a complete miss on the left hand/hard cover moving target.  Personally I think it was a perfect double....Not!  Alpha, miss and 2 alphas on the right hand mover.

I had one brainfade on my last stage of the match Stage 10 "Friendly Skies"  sorry my keyboard doesn't do Spanish.  Didn't pay enough attention to the walkthrough (Big mistake if you're the first shooter!) didn't read the posted course description (Hey I read the one in the match booklet) didn't go to the shooters meeting (the walkthrough will cover any changes, right?)

So I shot the hardcover target before pushing over the dummy...Dummy!  Fortunately the RO was having a good/bad day and only gave me one procedural instead of two.  Then being the Dummy that I am reminded him when he didn't put the procedural on the scoresheet, DOH!

I went to the Prizetable 49th and got a $100 certificate for Montana Gold bullets instead of something more expensive that I would wind up selling for....$100 so I could buy bullets!

I won't bore you with hitting the coyote or the blown transmission on my trip to visit Dad after the match.

On a better note, next time you're in Bend try Toomie's if you like Thai food 5 stars in Mona's book.  The Mongolian BBQ 2.5 stars and cheap.  Cheerleaders Bar and Grill for breakfast 3 stars and cheap.  Anybody else have any good restaurant recommendations?

TDean, we saw a whole lot of eyes-on-next-target shooting. I think it was Bill who took the prize on the airplane stage, shooting the close target on his extreme left while looking at the target on his extreme right.

Nolan, when I heard you had few misses, I was looking for you on the top of the results. I guess you really were off your pace.

I guess as long as the targets are close enough.....and no bad things happen (MIKE/No-shoots), looking to the next target as the last shot is squeezed on the current target is a good thing.

But looking at T5 while engaging T3 might produce nasty results:)

Ya Bill had a MIKE on that one right?