Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remington 1100 & shell sidesaddle compatibility

BayouSlide

I have a Lyman 6-shell sidesaddle on my Remington 870 which is the bees knees as far as I'm concerned. I'm planning to pick up a Remington 1100 Tac 4 at some point. I'd probably add the same carrier to that gun. Anyone had any function problems running sidesaddles on an 1100?

Thanks guys!

:cheers:

Personally, I've gotten away from the sidesaddle carriers. But on the rare occassions when I do use them, I prefer the kind that attaches with velcro. Easy on/off, and they don't affect reliability, except, so I hear, on Benellis. I've heard of the bolt through sidesaddles causing reliability problems with s/a shotguns.

Had a TacPro or TacStar can't remember. Anyway you couldn't tighten it up enough to stay on without it being too tight to not bind up the receiver and prevent proper function.

If you just have to do it, try some good velcro.

And then sell the 1100 to someone you don't like.... :ph34r: Had to get that one in there before Merlin does.

And then sell the 1100 to someone you don't like.... :ph34r: Had to get that one in there before Merlin does.

Ouch...but, honestly, I thought I'd get that in the first reply :devil:

Y'all are a tough, tough crowd.

Besides, if I saved up enough for a Benelli, I wouldn't have a new shotgun until I was eligible for Super Senior :roflol:

More seriously, appreciate the responses, guys, and keep 'em coming.

My side saddle brought my 1100 to a screeching halt. even when I tried to loosen the bolts that replace the trigger pins.

I got rid of it and my 1100 ran again.

Then I velcro'd it to the receiver and it works fine. :cheers:

DSC00991.jpg

The Tac-Star has worked fine on the 870 for years. The 3GunGear 8 round sidesaddle is the cats meow on the 1100......

.....which seems to run and run and run......

....I suppose I should go find some wood now, but I'm not really superstitious....

My side saddle attaches with the two screws. I just snugged them up a little so they're not loose but I also used blue loctite.

Never had a problem with my 1100 and have used it for 7 or 8 years.

G

Tac Star on my 870 and Mesa Tactical 8rd on my 1100 with no probs. Crappy screws come with the Mesa Tactical though, I had my gunsmith re-drill and thread the holes to take the tac star screws and have had no problem.

My side saddle attaches with the two screws. I just snugged them up a little so they're not loose but I also used blue loctite.

Never had a problem with my 1100 and have used it for 7 or 8 years.

G

+2 on that.

Any problems I have seen have been that the bolts were tightened too much.

Perform the fix above - et voila - running again.

Thanks, all. Appreciate the opinions and all the food for thought.

I realize the easiest solution is velcro (especially when Benny chimes in on the same tune), but it offends my aesthetic sensibilities for some reason :D

Really like the Lyman sidesaddle on my 870 and understand the potential problems in overtorqueing those screws. I certainly don't want to trade a stone-cold reliable 870 for a new jamomatic just to get a sidesaddle I prefer, but since experiences differ, I may test it out. Our twice a year 3-gun matches here often have short stages so it's not a critical issue one way or the other, especially since the new 1100 would hold 9 at the start...that would have covered the shotgun stages at our most recent match, with an extra round to spare.

Might even consider the armband approach for a full reload on the clock.

I hate to agree with Benny, But Velcro is IMO the best way . Flat out works.

Esp Mark Otto's stuff. Get the side saddle, 9, and the armband, 9, you can never have to many shells.

:cheers:

The three most important things about shooting well, are reliablity, reliabilty and reliabilty. The only way the velcro will screw up the gun , is if you stuff the whole carrier in the gun.