Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli Or Remington For 3 Gun?

You just had to dredge up Stage 4 :o

Yes, I'm sure that my 1.5lb trigger had something to do with it. The biggest problem that I have with that trigger is when I shoot it in multigun stages with my FAL with a 6 lb trigger. It's hard to get used to the transition.

Thanks for all the repsonses. Everything is clear as mud now. :huh: I use to compete in man v. man shotgun pin matches and ran a Benelli. Never gave me a problem and it was fast. I've also shot quite a bit of sporting clays and sportsman's team challenge. My 1st gun for these games was a Remington 1187 Clays. I had a lot of problems with the Remington as did others I shot with (not at first, but once we got over 3000 rnds). Breaking various parts just became a steady thing. We finally dumped them. I was wondering if Remington every addressed these issues as the guns just didn't seem built for a steady diet of shooting. I got the felling they were more designed for the guy that may shoot a few rounds of sporting and maybe a few pheasent per year.

Take care,

Nick-

• 1 year later...

Picking up this old thread, I have been reading alot and asking alot about the Remmy and Benelli, so here another question: Has remington done anything about the reliability of the 1100 with so many reported cases, I mean is the Comp Master of superior quality (internals) than the regular 1100 or does it use the same parts that are reported to break by the dozen?

A $750 CM has exactly the same crappy internals as a $200 1100 at the gun show. Shawn Carlock (www.defensiveedge.net) has the fix for the interceptor latch - which fixes most of the problems. I do have to say that as much as I hated my 1100 at first, it's really turned out to be 100% reliable with Shawn's handiwork. I still can't get really short splits out of it, but that only matters at bowling pin matches.

Browning Gold Dominator NPS-

Enough said! LOL

Remmies are fine, SX2's are fine, Benelli's are fine. Every gun has it's good and bad points about it. You need to find one that fits you. If the truth be known, every one of 'em out there will crater sooner or later, usually right in the middle of a match!

Nick,

For out of the box use I will have to give the nod to the SX2. With a little work all the other guns run fine, but why smith if you don't have to. I have done nothing to my SX2 and it runs like a sewing machine. It has run S&B slugs, Fed tactical slugs, Rem slugs, and Winchester slugs with no problems. For shot keep the shot load at 1 1/8th oz or higher and powder at 3 drams or higher and you are good to go. I shopped around religiously before I decided on one, and I have nothing but good things to say about it. 2200 rds and counting thru mine so far and I have done nothing other than clean it.

Good luck Craig

A $750 CM has exactly the same crappy internals as a $200 1100 at the gun show. Shawn Carlock (www.defensiveedge.net) has the fix for the interceptor latch - which fixes most of the problems. I do have to say that as much as I hated my 1100 at first, it's really turned out to be 100% reliable with Shawn's handiwork. I still can't get really short splits out of it, but that only matters at bowling pin matches.

The problems that I had with my 1100 were also with the interceptor latch. The latch just didn't hold up very well after putting a long magazine tube on the gun. Glad to hear someone has a fix for it. :)

A bunch of us here in Jersey got 1187's about 6 years ago. We put easyloaders on them, some of us had to do it twice! The long and the short of it is, we got them to be reliable. A few of us who shoot them a lot have had one part break-the gas ring. In actuality-two of us have had the gas ring break-one of us broke the stock part, the other (me) broke one of the aftermarket gas rings. I haven't seen a lot of other parts break, and I haven’t seen more than one or two Benelli's go south. At the 2003 3-gun I did see and SX2 become a one shot wonder-but they are still too new to make a real judgment on their reliability.

For what it's worth, I had them all, 1100, Benelli, and Browning. Sold them all and went with the SX2 MkI. Only complaint would be the stock is a little too long. But unlike all of the others this gun works, and works well. Had 2 jams in the first magazine and none since. Completely stock, works like a champ.