Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer Storage

Ed Deegan

Ok,

I built a powder magazine out of 2 layers of 3/4" plywood. So my powder is stored correctly.

Now for primers. I currently store them in the bottom of my ammo safe, in their original container, away from the walls. That safe is a liberty, and is fairly good sized. I have about 15k primers but I dont think this is the best way.

NFPA doesnt mention primers per se, and a friend who is a certified fire investigator for a federal agency wasn't a lot of help. His thoughts were that I had the right idea, but I am not so sure. Anyone able to push me toward a site or manual?

Ok,

I built a powder magazine out of 2 layers of 3/4" plywood. So my powder is stored correctly.

Now for primers. I currently store them in the bottom of my ammo safe, in their original container, away from the walls. That safe is a liberty, and is fairly good sized. I have about 15k primers but I dont think this is the best way.

NFPA doesnt mention primers per se, and a friend who is a certified fire investigator for a federal agency wasn't a lot of help. His thoughts were that I had the right idea, but I am not so sure. Anyone able to push me toward a site or manual?

I keep mine in an old fridge with my powder, but if you want specs on building something or buying one.

http://www.usexplosive.com/category_s/8.htm

Ok,

If you have them in the safe, you are better than most, who just put them on the floor in the closet.

Ok,

If you have them in the safe, you are better than most, who just put them on the floor in the closet.

Mine are on the floor in the living room. So far no problems! :surprise:

I store them like the store stores them.. on the shelf.. they have many-many thousands more than I do.

If there's a fire.. I'd think you wouldn't want to contain them?

This might be an eye opening thread for me...

Ok,

I keep mine in an old fridge with my powder, but if you want specs on building something or buying one.

http://www.usexplosive.com/category_s/8.htm

I do the exact same thing. I have one of those old mini fridges with the fake wood paneling next to my bench i keep primers and powder in. I just stick a bunch of gun related stickers and a big sign that says DANGER EXPLOSIVE on it. :cheers:

Ok,

I'd store them right outside of bedroom door, that way if there is a fire you'll hear them going off early enough to let you get out of the house.

:cheers:

I have three wooden military munitions crates that star shells come in. I removed the .50 Cal ammo cans that the star shells were packaged in and placed my powder and primers in those and they are stored in a refrigerator out in the garage.

Frankly I do not think I would ask the local fire department for info - they might not respond to a fire call at your house if they know what you have in there.

:roflol:

my primers are stored in a locker. I picked up some half-lockers that mount along a wall. I store loaded rounds, primers, powder and other assorted bullet making items i in them. The primers and powders are separated in different lockers. They are well ventilated to prevent pressure building up in them and metal so they won't burn.

fwiw

dj

• 2 weeks later...

I do the exact same thing. I have one of those old mini fridges with the fake wood paneling next to my bench i keep primers and powder in. I just stick a bunch of gun related stickers and a big sign that says DANGER EXPLOSIVE on it. :cheers:

I've heard of keeping your powder dry, but not cold :surprise:

I have mine spread out in the Garage, laundry room, and hall closet.

Edited by markm

MarkM,

I don't know about the other guys but I do not have the fridge that I use for powder and primer storage plugged in, frankly I don't know if it even works any more, it's just used for temperature stability and containment.

I store my powder and primers under my bed next to the heater, so they stay dry and no one moves them around when cleaning up the house or garage. I keep my smokes under there too. That way the wife keeps away from my goods. :roflol: