Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holster advice for USPSA Production

leam

I'd like to start USPSA shooting and need holster advice for my Glock in Prodution. Any things to look out for or avoid?

Also, I have 2 magazines, can I get by with just a third, for starting? Down the road I want to add mroe stuff but I'll be lucky to make D class this year; high end gear isn't as valuable as more shooting time.

Thanks!

Leam

Welcome to the game.

What I started with was Bladetech holster and mag pouches. Very good stuff and a great number of people in production use them. Three mags are not enough four is the min. if you dont drop one or miss alot. I always tried to have five on the belt and one in the gun. Sounds like alot but stuff happens. Example why more than three 32 round cof 3 10 round mags only 30 rounds can't finnish the cof. And you'll learn as you shoot more where you need to reload to pick speed and other things.

I'd like to start USPSA shooting and need holster advice for my Glock in Prodution. Any things to look out for or avoid?

Also, I have 2 magazines, can I get by with just a third, for starting? Down the road I want to add mroe stuff but I'll be lucky to make D class this year; high end gear isn't as valuable as more shooting time.

Thanks!

Leam

Welcome to the sport -- you're in the right forum to meet some great ambassadors of shooting and get some good advice. :cheers:

Other folks here have more experience and background to answer your questions, but here's what little I can offer:

In Production, you are limited to 10 rounds in the mags. 3 mags will see you through a lot of courses, but not all. 6 would be better.

A long course in a Level III match is limited to 32 rounds, so even with a Barney bullet, you would come up 1 short (assuming all the steel took only one shot).

At Level I and Level II, long stages can run up to and beyond 48 rounds.

Sometimes you drop the mag to clear a malfuction.

Extra mags will let you plan your reloads while moving between arrays, instead of having to run the mags dry in order to have enough shots.

Sometimes steel can claim more than its alloted share of shots.

Sometimes, a mag gets messed up -- full of dirt, or mud, or whatever.

I've never heard anyone say, "Darn! I have WAY too many mags with me today!"

Re the holster:

I occasionally shoot a G17 in Production -- when I do, I use a Fobus. I'd suggest you borrow a couple of different holsters from other Glock shooters, and give them a try to find one that you're comfortable with.

I'd also suggest you do a search on this site using the terms, "Glock holster Production" and see what you get.

On the holster question, the best bet is to do a search in the gear and accessories section as it's been covered many, many times. Short answer is Blade Tech, Comp Tac or Safariland. 3 mags isn't going to cut it. I watched a couple of Production shooters go through five mags on a 23 round stage with lots of steel this past weekend (some longer shots). Glock mags are under $20 each and I'd suggest having five on your belt and one in the gun. If something weird happens and you have a malfunction or drop a mag you're going to be hosed even if you start with three on the belt and one in the gun. R,

There are many holster makers that would work just fine for Production. You want one that doesn't have a thumbsnap or other retention feature that you have to disable to get the gun out. The Blackhawk Serpa is a great holster that I carry on duty every day, but I don't use it for competition. They do make a version without the lock that works fine though. Find a holster that allows you to get a full firing grip on the gun so you don't have to change when you come out of the holster. And whatever holster you pick get a belt that fits the loops of the holster (of vice versa). The more stable the holster is the more consistent the draw is.

Short list for me YMMV:

Blade-Tech DOH

Blade-Tech Stingray (pretty much the same holster but without the DOH hanger)

Blackhawk CQC (without the Serpa Lock)

I've heard Ky-Tac and Comp Tac are good, I just don't have any experience with them.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the Fobus and Uncle Mikes injection molded stuff. I've seen both fail on the range and just don't trust them.

Until you get more magazines you can compete in Limited, minor by loading them all the way up to 17 ea. You won't be as competetive shooting minor but you can be out shooting until you get the extra mags. You really need 5-6 mags in Production because of the 10 round capacity limit here in the US.

Hello: You will need 6 mags minimum but it is nice to have spares. The Blade Tech DOH or Comp Tac holster. Uncle Mikes double mag holders, get 3 of these. The Uncle Mikes are cheap and work just as well as anything I've tried. Lastly a good belt setup like the CR Speed belt. Thanks, Eric

+1 on the Blade-Tech DOH, that's what I started with in Production division with my G34. Have stayed mainly with Blade-Tech since they are in my backyard.

I've also heard good things about the Comp-Tac and how much faster they are to get than the Blade-Tech, but I'm patient and have never minded the wait.

You'll want five mags on the belt, plus one in the gun. In production, you change mags almost every time you move to a new shooting position - even with a handful of rounds left it it.

I personally use the Comp-Tac adjustable Cant belt holster and their single mag pouches. The single mag pouches give you more flexibility in locating them on the belt.

You will need more than 3 magazines. But it might depend on the matches you shoot and the stage designers. For USPSA Production you will need at least 4 on the belt and one in the gun but many have suggested 5 on the belt and one in the gun.

Yep, 5 mags minimum. I start with 6 and load one in the gun for 5 on the belt and one in the gun. I keep a couple more in my bag for back-up in case one goes down or gets trashed.

Any of the holster or mag pouches recommended will work for you. I use Blade-Tech DOH and pouches and they are great.

If your really on a budget, get uncle mikes holster and a couple of double mag pouches. For a little bit more money, you can get the blade-tech revolution/millenium plastic injected gear. But I would go with a kydex holster(bt doh) and cr speed belt. I would say 5 mags minimum.